Transmission noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrdery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My 2000 Ram makes a noticeable whining noise (I believe from the transmission) when I am moving between 30-40 mph. It's a high pitch whine but I do notice that it immediately goes away when I hit around 40 mph. This happens whether I am in drive or neutral. If I am moving faster everything seems fine, but when I slow down to about 40-30 mph it comes back. As far as shifting and driving it seems normal as always, I just want to know what that sound could be. The fluid looks good nice and red and at the proper level. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I don't know if it could be a gear bearing or a pump making that noise. The truck is 14 years old and has 138,000 miles on it. It really doesn't affect the performance at all, just an annoying whine.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
It sounds like the same first gear whine I'm hearing in my truck. Have you found out anything yet?