Transmission or Torque Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2012 2500 5.7 66RFE

Having a few issues and trying to pinpoint it.
About a month ago i noticed a hard stumble when I took off from a light, almost like it couldn't find the gear and shuddered pretty hard. I let off the gas then back on it was ok.

A little after that I started noticing when im at speed then accelerate and the gear kicks down, theres a whistle sound. Very brief and will stop as soon as i let up on the peddle.

I have had one issue of starting from a stop sign and it locked into 4th. I pulled over and turned it off and back on and it was fine.
I had the fluid replaced a few weeks ago and the fluid that came out was not bad looking.

I still get the whine or whistle in kick down and a small bit of slippage in low gears. I was pretty sure it was the transmission but now i'm starting to think its the torque converter.

Any thought?
BTW it has not thrown any codes yet.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
when was the fluid in tranny last changed/checked?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like she's running low on trans fluid ?
I've had a very similar ocurrence in my 10 Silverado 1500 at 80k miles when i had the trans fluid changed at the dealer nonetheless. Turns out the guy doing the job may have forgotten to add 2.5 damn quarts of fluid. She will whine and scream while the trans was cold, and calm down when hot. Since the issue had started pretty much next day after that oil change i went ahead and checked the trans disptick after following the procedure to check the 6l80e trans, and found she was running low on fluid. Spot checked the fluid after adding one quart, and kept checking until the fluid level was in the ok zone in the dipstick and the problem was gone. Sold that truck with 130k miles couple of weeks ago and she was still barking the 1-2 at WOT.. i did a PCM/TCM tune on her since she had 28k miles. she will be missed.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang it. So per your post this is something that may have started before the fluid change correct ? How many miles on the truck ? Could be the TC or the pump but it's strange she's not giving you any codes. Any chances that somebody could try to run a trasn relearn ? ask around and see if somebody can do it as a favor or perhaps super cheap. If that doesn't change a thing i'd guess the chances youll have to have that diagnosed and repaired are highly likely.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was pretty sure it was the transmission but now i'm starting to think its the torque converter.

Maybe neither, or maybe so, I would say could be valve body leakage, but I don't know about the whine. Sorry missed the fluid point, but there goes any easy fix since you changed it and problem still exists.

So consider this, the valve body upgrade is so huge for these transmissions there is little reason to ever drop a transmission and leave the oem valve body in there. So even if it is the TC, I'd drop the valve body and fix the weaknesses, maybe solenoid upgrade as well. See video. Regardless of what the transmission needs in the future, this item would be done. If it doesn't fix it, then you can drop it (much more work) and change the TC. But, not a lot of people want to pay or do a tranny drop and also leave weaknesses in the rfe, especially one that is 7-8 years old. See second video. Those video's everyone with an rfe should watch, more so when their transmission starts having issues. I'm not saying any brand fix is better then any other, research parts if you make the choice to fix the weaknesses.

OP
OP
burner71

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well the truck has 230k miles on it. Yes the trouble started before fluid change and the old fluid didnt smell or look too bad at all.

I have been building up a new motor for the truck and it's about ready to go. I hoped to do just a swap but now with the trans troubles I was hoping not to have to do a whole rebuild or replacement. I could put a new converter in and do the valve body swap while the motor is out and maybe that will solve the issue.

Its the high pitched whine on acceleration/kick down that bothers me.
Another odd thing I just started noticing is lets say im doing 45 or so and them romp on it. During the high revs ive started seeing the low tire pressure light come on for a moment then go out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Watch that second video and then decide, I know it's long but it's eye opening. Sounds like you have a smart plan, I think money sunk into 4 gens will last longer then most trucks, especially better then newer ones.

OP
OP
burner71

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it just threw a code
P0735
Gear 5 incorrect ratio

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well it just threw a code
P0735
Gear 5 incorrect ratio

If you watched that video on valve body you would know that those are the gears that tend to die first, so now we know it is a valve body issue or solenoid issue. Could be pistons, ring leakage, bad spring, or solenoid. My suggestion rebuild valve body and solenoid.

Kinda good news in my opinion, did you watch that first video?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Like I'm saying, once you upgrade the valve body it plugs and play, so even if some day you need to replace clutch packs and TC (big job) you still get to use your upgraded VB again. Solenoid and VB is easy DYI job, look at metal thread and synthetic filter upgrade, knock paint off synthetic filter.

OP
OP
burner71

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you watched that video on valve body you would know that those are the gears that tend to die first, so now we know it is a valve body issue or solenoid issue. Could be pistons, ring leakage, bad spring, or solenoid. My suggestion rebuild valve body and solenoid.

Kinda good news in my opinion, did you watch that first video?

i did, lots of good info there