Transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbob1416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
7.9 HO
After traveling four hours in 70 degree weather at 65mph into wind pulling a 12k toy hauler 5th wheel came to a long uphill pull. Cruise was set at 65. Ram 3500 mega cab, 373 gears, 727 trans with Mag Hytec oil pan. Truck slowed to around 30 or less 3000 rpms trans temp shot up to 230 (oil in pan) 260 (oil in line going to cooler) started to jerk very hard throttle pedal on the floor full rpms maxed out won't come out of over drive (tried to release several times with button on shifter), finely came out by tapping brake pedal. Feathered throttle to keep moving still jerking, after getting to top slowing brought back up to speed ran good the rest of the way home. Tranny rebuilt 4/14 at 57000 now at 82000 by very knowledgeable brothers since retired.Trans oil smells burnt.
Looking for rebuilding pointers to upgrade trans.

Also this never happened before but i had a lot of blow by appeared to come from the bell housing all engine oil all the way to the back of trailer, and dripping from bottom of truck.

CORRECTION THE TRANS IS A 48RE SORRY MY MISTAKE

Last edited:

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First of all, I've never once in over 25 years of towing towed in OD, perhaps just me but I like RPM's......trans runs cooler.

What color is the fluid on dipstick?
Brown? Pink?

Maybe you just need a flush and filter change before discarding transmission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
727 trans won't come out of over drive

Contradiction that needs to be addressed, 727's don't have OD nor are they installed in anything past the 80's unless you yourself installed one with a Gear Vendors OD unit. Are you referring to the original trans, which should be a 48RE?

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like they said. Especially the first one. I would never tow a trailer in your O/D gears. Lock those gears out of you can. Hit that tow and haul button, then hit it again. O/D OFF should appear. That will lock you out of 4th and 5th. My brother in law overheated his tranny in his 2006 1500 5.7 hemi. After that, it was over. His tranny was toast. Problem after problem. If you got the money, I would look on Monster Transmissions, they sell built 48rfe transmissions. Bigger clutch packs, billet torque converter. Billet input shaft, upgraded valve body, etc. That would be the way to go.