Transmission stumble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDutch19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2019 1500 classic hemi with 8 speed. When shifting between drive and reverse as in doing a 3 point turn the transmission stumbles. Unless I wait what seems like an excessive amount of time between gasing it. At first I kind of assumed this is some what normal with all the electronics these days because my last truck was a 97. Today I was in a rental 2019 classic and decided to test this theory out. Performed several 3 point turns like anyone would do and several drive to reverse shifts much faster than I would in my own truck that I've ever owned. Felt fine. The slightest stumble but no where near what I experience in my own truck when im being careful. Already had a "relearn" on it. Any thoughts?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like there is an issue with your transmission, there should be no difference with shift forward to reverse and back being that the 8HP70 is electronically shifted instead of mechanically. The only thing you would notice is if your traveling one direction fast enough that it won't change directions if your going fast enough to cause damage. I doubt this is the case doing a three point turn. Several people have reported shifting into reverse going down the freeway and the trans just ignores the shift, I think it prompts you to shift it back and eventually puts it in neutral.
At least this stumbling issue sounds repeatable so the dealer will be able to troubleshoot it

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
2019 1500 classic hemi with 8 speed. When shifting between drive and reverse as in doing a 3 point turn the transmission stumbles. Unless I wait what seems like an excessive amount of time between gasing it. At first I kind of assumed this is some what normal with all the electronics these days because my last truck was a 97. Today I was in a rental 2019 classic and decided to test this theory out. Performed several 3 point turns like anyone would do and several drive to reverse shifts much faster than I would in my own truck that I've ever owned. Felt fine. The slightest stumble but no where near what I experience in my own truck when im being careful. Already had a "relearn" on it. Any thoughts?

Hi @TDutch19 - Please be sure to let us know via PM if this is something you decide to address with your dealer. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares