Transmission Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jagthe hunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
My wife and I were returning from Kansa turkey hunting trip (from Illinois) when my 2009 4x4 crew cab Laramie dually quit pulling. Towed to Ft, Scot dealership.Spent Sunday in parking lot. Monday mouring told needed new transmission. $5000. Oldest son drove 500 miles picked us up. Went to local Dodge dealer where bI had bought truck used at about 37,000 miles. Same dealer sold truck new.Asked to see service records. This truck had lostall gears with previous owner at 33,000 miles. Repaired under warranty. Now at 56,000 miles did samething with me. Called Dodge customer Service. Told 3 times,"So Sorry,used truck" Buyer Beware. Two and half weeks later returned to Kansas.Paid$4400+: supposedly Dodge had covered labor.Has new rebuild Dodge tran. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

bamagrad03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You bought a 7 year old used truck with no warranty. What did you expect?

Not really a helpful answer for the OP. Especially since it's a fair question - often times things are repaired and that repair carries with it a warranty.

I bought an e92 BMW whose high pressure fuel pump was replaced like 3 times beyond warranty because of an issue that took 6 revisions for BMW to work out.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My wife and I were returning from Kansa turkey hunting trip (from Illinois) when my 2009 4x4 crew cab Laramie dually quit pulling. Towed to Ft, Scot dealership.Spent Sunday in parking lot. Monday mouring told needed new transmission. $5000. Oldest son drove 500 miles picked us up. Went to local Dodge dealer where bI had bought truck used at about 37,000 miles. Same dealer sold truck new.Asked to see service records. This truck had lostall gears with previous owner at 33,000 miles. Repaired under warranty. Now at 56,000 miles did samething with me. Called Dodge customer Service. Told 3 times,"So Sorry,used truck" Buyer Beware. Two and half weeks later returned to Kansas.Paid$4400+: supposedly Dodge had covered labor.Has new rebuild Dodge tran. Anyone else have anything like this happen?

bad re-builds happen all the time. sounds like the previous owner noticed something wasnt right with the first rebuild and sold the truck. this is the risk of buying a used vehicle. how come you didnt ask for the service records or a car fax before you bought the truck? a blown transmission and the owner selling the truck shortly after is usually a red flag that something is wrong.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not really a helpful answer for the OP. Especially since it's a fair question - often times things are repaired and that repair carries with it a warranty.

usually things that are repaired under warranty are only covered until your warranty is up. i did have a volkswagen that had the cat fail right before the 8yr/80k mile warranty was up. they gave me paperwork stating the new cat had an additional 8y/80k warranty. i was totally blown away that they did that.

you could call chrysler and ask them but if theres no record of it in the system and no paperwork for it with the truck, your probably SOL.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

I bought an e92 BMW whose high pressure fuel pump was replaced like 3 times beyond warranty because of an issue that took 6 revisions for BMW to work out.

Quite honestly, I think the answer was a little bit more of "tough love" and while a little abrasive, was spot on.

Everyday there is at least it seems a new "one post wonder" whose first post is ******** about an issue with a used vehicle (sometimes new). They are not looking about being part of the community here but wanting validation for their rage right or wrong. Most times they post once or twice and never to be heard again.

If they covered the labor like the OP mentions, they did him a favor and courtesy and needs to be thankful for that. As mentioned, buy used has it's risk and in this case, he was on the losing end of that.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have to say there is a reason the warranty has a certain life. cars are mass produced they are going to beak. if you were closer to to the 36k mark when it went out i would have expected something different from FCA but being you are almost 20-25k out of warranty and 4 years over there is nothing really. be glad they covered the labor.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Quite honestly, I think the answer was a little bit more of "tough love" and while a little abrasive, was spot on.

Everyday there is at least it seems a new "one post wonder" whose first post is ******** about an issue with a used vehicle (sometimes new). They are not looking about being part of the community here but wanting validation for their rage right or wrong. Most times they post once or twice and never to be heard again.

If they covered the labor like the OP mentions, they did him a favor and courtesy and needs to be thankful for that. As mentioned, buy used has it's risk and in this case, he was on the losing end of that.

I honestly feal bad for the OP and wish that kind of stress on nobody. but I agree with what HootBro said

EDIT: and in my opinion , it was probably re-built poorly the first time. a re-built tranny of any make and model should last longer than that.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I look at it like this. If I'm buying a used "whatever" that is near or out of warranty then I'll buy an extended warranty on it. If you don't then you run the risk of paying to get it fixed if and when it breaks.

**** happens. Trans may have been rebuilt, but another component that wasn't replaced the first time may have been the cause of this failure. It's not like they keep the housing and replace everything inside of it.

It is tough love to accept responsibility for your decisions. Be happy the dealer ate the labor. They could have just as easily made OP pay for that as well, and rightfully so.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Friend had tranny fail in his 2500 but over 100K and due to boosting power a ton from mods and tune. If you've tuned and modded to boost power, that's one likely culprit.

But being used does not void your warranty but it looks like you were outside the 5 year warranty on the powertrain in any case (though way under the 100K I think that model year had on powertrain). That's just the risk you take when you buy an out-of-warranty vehicle (or almost out of warranty vehicle). Paying for the labor was actually decent of RAM, IMO. In any case, it sucks and I hope your truck treats you better in the future. Happy hauling.