Transmission woes.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CiscoTN71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7 Gas
Lurker in the past, first post. Long winded post.......

2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT
4.7 Gas
5 Spd auto
No mods except someone has put in an aluminum 1 piece driveshaft.

Good afternoon from TN!! Scratching my head over here. Did an oil change this weekend and went for a test drive around the block, no problem. Came home, dropped the tranny pan to change fluid and filters, everything was smooth sailing. Buttoned it all back up, filled with proper amount of MOPAR ATF+4.
Started truck, shifted into Reverse, and nothing. Shifted into Drive, nothing again. Revved engine and nothing still.
Dropped pan again, (wasting over $35 of transmission fluid, lol), redid everything, bolted it all back up, same issue.
The only other thing I had done to the truck was when I was under the hood I checked the EGR vlave and found that the breather hose had an inch long crack in it where it mated to the EGR valve. Replaced it, but that's the only other thing done that day.

I'm at a loss as to what might be going on. I know you guys are a collected group of geniuses and thought I might run it by you all.

Thanks for bearing with a newcomer.

Cisco

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it worked before you dropped the pan and serviced it. Something is out of place. Did you tighten the spin on filter to spec? Or you could have over tightened it and cracked the plastic insert. Really think back, and try and remember what exactly you did. I'm sure you're truck is fixed now. But if not, I would go back to step 1.

OP
OP
CiscoTN71

CiscoTN71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7 Gas
Ended up being a bad shift solenoid. Replaced it and all was smooth sailing. Thanks for the reply!

Wallacehugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not know if I am in the correct post! I have a 2012 ram RT with 14,000 miles. Never had a problem until today. I drove about 25 miles stopped about twenty minutes. When I started the engine, it appeared to be having a problem. Engine and transmission was not working correctly. Mileage dropped from 18 mpg to 8 mpg and barely made it back to dodge dealer. Everything was running rough. What could be the problem?

OP
OP
CiscoTN71

CiscoTN71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7 Gas
Thanks HemiLonestar for the info! Much appreciated.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I do not know if I am in the correct post! I have a 2012 ram RT with 14,000 miles. Never had a problem until today. I drove about 25 miles stopped about twenty minutes. When I started the engine, it appeared to be having a problem. Engine and transmission was not working correctly. Mileage dropped from 18 mpg to 8 mpg and barely made it back to dodge dealer. Everything was running rough. What could be the problem?

I apologize for the trouble, @Wallacehugh! If you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer, our team is just a private message away and happy to assist.

Mark
RamCares