trdt44 Power Wagon Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I figured it was time to start a build thread. This is my 1st Ram and Power Wagon. I have mostly been a Toyota driver with a few GM products thrown in. I have a hard leaving my vehicles stock and really enjoy modifying them. I have a Four Wheel Hawk Camper on order and should be getting it in about 6 months.

I picked up the PW December 23rd from Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID. Drove up there and back in the same day.

Here is the items I have currently installed or waiting to be installed.

Suspension
Thuren King 2.5 shocks with stage 3 valving
Thuren front 0.5" springs
Thuren front track bar
Thuren rear track bar
Thuren and Carli e-brake brackets (used both as the Thuren brackets left the cable rubbing on the gas
tank)
Air Lift air bags with Daystar cradles. (waiting closer for the camper delivery before install)

Tire/Wheels
Method 315 Wheels with the Ram specific offset (also black bolts so the fake beadlocks don't stand out)
37x12.5r17 Bfgoodrich Mud Terrain KM3 tires

Bumpers and Armor
Expedition One front bumper with full bull bar (Factor 55 fairlead and Cascadia flip license plate mount)
Expedition One rear bumper (without tire carrier, would not have worked with the camper)
Rigd receiver tire carrier
Maple front diff guard
Maple bar skid replacement (need to install)
Dethloff engine/transmission skid plate (on order)
AMP Power Steps (will eventually replace with sliders)

Electrical and Lighting
OEM aux switch panel from a non-PW truck
Bussman fuse/relay panel (mounted to a modified panel that was meant for a Tacoma)
Baja Designs XL 80 lights mounted in the front bumper
Baja Design XL Pro with their Ram pillar mount
Baja Designs Squadron Sports mounted in the rear bumper

I also plan to add an AGM Northstar battery, a second battery, sliders, and a CB or GMRS radio.

Here are a few pictures. Will work on getting some that are updated.
20191223_095200.jpg Truck Picture 2020.06.29 1.jpg Truck Picture 2020.06.29 4.jpg

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just dig them Power Wagon’s, I’m trying to decide if I want to do a little more suspension work on mine. Maybe some Thuren front spring’s and their adjustable rear shackle lift. Not that I need it yet but when I’m finished putting the camp kit in the back I’m gonna gain about 250-300lbs. On top of the cap and a few other thing’s going in I’m probably gonna get a little bit off squat when all geared out. Guess I’ll figure out as I go and probably pick up the rear shackle lift regardless. It’s listed for 1/2”, 1”, and 1 3/4”.

OP
OP
trdt44

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sweet setup.
Your setup is sweet also. Is your Hawk a shell version? Have you done any modifications to it? I currently have mine off the truck, built a platform to be able to move it around.
To my shell I have currently added a 200w solar panel, Redarc DC to DC charger, Victron BMV, dual lithium batteries, 4awg wire at the truck, 6awg inside the camper, Dometic CFX45 cooler and mounted traction boards to the roof.
20211106_092357.jpg
20210518_092500.jpg
20210520_183205.jpg
20210528_180352.jpg

OP
OP
trdt44

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here are a couple of pictures of the switch panel and fuse panel. The switches work just like OEM. I did have to work with Alfa OBD to get them turned on. I have some extra connectors to make a harness that plugs into the back of the switch panel if anybody is looking to add the switches. I have a diagram for the back of the switch panels if anybody needs it.

20200627_193611.jpg
20200621_102746.jpg
20200621_113453.jpg

Last edited:

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your setup is sweet also. Is your Hawk a shell version? Have you done any modifications to it? I currently have mine off the truck, built a platform to be able to move it around.
To my shell I have currently added a 200w solar panel, Redarc DC to DC charger, Victron BMV, dual lithium batteries, 4awg wire at the truck, 6awg inside the camper, Dometic CFX45 cooler and mounted traction boards to the roof.
View attachment 480301
View attachment 480302
View attachment 480303
View attachment 480304
Have I done any modifications? I don't know anyone that owns a FWC that hasn't.....

Yes I have a shell model. Built out the inside to a front dinette. Installed a sink with pump and a port a potti hidden on a drawer slide in the cutout on the passenger side. I relocated the battery to the front of the camper, also running redarc dcdc and lithium.

Single handed that camper is the best thing I have ever purchased. Such a close community of fellow owners. And built extremely well, over the last 5 years of ownership been to some pretty rough and remote spots and not a single issue.

Looking at yours I would recommend trimming your bumpers. My camper sits about a 1/8 inch from the back of the truck bed box. I used a table saw to cut them down but a hand saw would do the trick too.

Where you located? I'm in Southern Nevada.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
been looking hard to find a Hawk either shell or regular and better luck finding nuggets of gold..

OP
OP
trdt44

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have I done any modifications? I don't know anyone that owns a FWC that hasn't.....

Yes I have a shell model. Built out the inside to a front dinette. Installed a sink with pump and a port a potti hidden on a drawer slide in the cutout on the passenger side. I relocated the battery to the front of the camper, also running redarc dcdc and lithium.

Single handed that camper is the best thing I have ever purchased. Such a close community of fellow owners. And built extremely well, over the last 5 years of ownership been to some pretty rough and remote spots and not a single issue.

Looking at yours I would recommend trimming your bumpers. My camper sits about a 1/8 inch from the back of the truck bed box. I used a table saw to cut them down but a hand saw would do the trick too.

Where you located? I'm in Southern Nevada.
I would agree that this is the best thing I have purchased. I like to get away from the crowds and this is perfect for that.

I was thinking about trimming the front bumpers, I didn't like how far back it was sitting. I will get that done while I have it off the truck. I am located in Northern Utah.

OP
OP
trdt44

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
been looking hard to find a Hawk either shell or regular and better luck finding nuggets of gold..
For sure, while I was waiting for mine I spent a lot of time on the forums and facebook. When they do come up for sale they are gone so fast. Mine took about 10 months but I know they are a lot longer than that now. Good luck and hopefully you find something sooner than later.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For sure, while I was waiting for mine I spent a lot of time on the forums and facebook. When they do come up for sale they are gone so fast. Mine took about 10 months but I know they are a lot longer than that now. Good luck and hopefully you find something sooner than later.

Check with a few of the dealers. They sometimes have orders that aren't sold yet. I have heard of a lucky few that have been able to ****** one up and only wait a month or two.

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There’s one on the Spokane, Washington Craigslist
I don’t know what they go for but the guy is asking $21,500

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There’s one on the Spokane, Washington Craigslist
I don’t know what they go for but the guy is asking $21,500

I would jump on that if interested. Will be sold within a day or two.

pw1601

Reaction score
Ram Year
I saw in your original post you planned on adding a second battery and was wondering where you put it or planned to?