Trouble picking tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyd76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2009 QC 1500 SLT, 204k. My commute is about 60 miles a day. Tire size 275/60/20. Last 3 sets of tires have been the cooper discoverer at3, and not happy with how the last set wore out. I considered the at3-s, and can get installed for about $800. Considered BFG T/A on discount tire direct, and best price I saw was around 915. Ruled out the nittos and the falkens. Started looking at Goodyear duratracs, and after rebates and promos they would be close to $700. Having trouble pulling the trigger, since this is a high mileage truck and I am hoping to use it less than a daily driver. Hoping to get another 50-75k on it. Anyone want to chime in? I dont plow, occasionally may have a load of wood or furniture, and only tow a popup or small trailer. I live in CT, so snow and ice.
Thanks

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
why did you rule out nittos and falkens?

OP
OP
T

Tonyd76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously because he wants an inferior tire like a duratrac. Lol
Falken should be top of the list for what he described intended use will be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, where did I say I wanted Duratracs, eh? I've read good and bad on duratracs and wild peaks. I have an old pair of bfgs on my cj7 and they have never let me down. When I saw the multiple rebates available on the duratrqcs I started to consider them.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I'm sorry, where did I say I wanted Duratracs, eh? I've read good and bad on duratracs and wild peaks. I have an old pair of bfgs on my cj7 and they have never let me down. When I saw the multiple rebates available on the duratrqcs I started to consider them.
You said you were looking at duratracs, that's why I said that. Watch out on the falken reviews, most of the people that commented negative are actually talking about falken at not the AT3W, thier new and much improved and severe winter rated tire.
I have also read a few negative comments about the falken AT3Wa that' comes stock on the all new rams, it has a slightly different tread pattern and apparently not as good traction.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Gonna vote that you revisit the Nittos...
I've seen lots of guys running nitto ridge grapplers on all different makes of trucks, and all have good things to say. I'm a pretty diehard bfg KO and falken AT3W guy, but the nittos look to be a really nice tire. Haven't researched them enough to see if they make a severe weather rated AT, but if they did, I would give them a try for sure.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen lots of guys running nitto ridge grapplers on all different makes of trucks, and all have good things to say. I'm a pretty diehard bfg KO and falken AT3W guy, but the nittos look to be a really nice tire. Haven't researched them enough to see if they make a severe weather rated AT, but if they did, I would give them a try for sure.

Check them out further. I'm a big fan of the K02s, and was going to get those... but my buddy who manages the Discount Tire where I bought them pointed me at these Ridge Grapplers. He had nothing but good to say about them, and has run them on several of his vehicles. I love mine...

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think i will have to get something that has the white lettering.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
cooper discoverer at3, and not happy with how the last set wore out.

I was not happy with mine either. They were done at 30k miles and I rotated them religiously.
I have 285/70R17 Michelin Defender LTX M/S on now and so far so good but I only have 2000 miles on them.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Firestone Destination AT.

I have had them on 4 different vehicles now and no regrets. They are quiet on the road and reasonably priced.

full

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So far I am with my Cooper AT3 4S. Are you running the older version ? Mine are to new to give a review yet.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was not happy with mine either. They were done at 30k miles and I rotated them religiously.
I have 285/70R17 Michelin Defender LTX M/S on now and so far so good but I only have 2000 miles on them.

Very similar with me. I live in a hilly wet area and the second season just to get going on hills when wet I had to drop it into 4x4. Ended up putting 300 lbs of weight in the box to help and it did... won't do Coopers again.
On the next truck and the one I'm driving now both had Yokohama G015s. Night and day difference. Much prefer the Yokos.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had the ridge grapplers on my old 16 2500 megacab. They were a nice tire but I only got 30k miles out of them. Was very unhappy about that. I just put the wildpeaks on my wife’s 11 Jeep GC. They look good and are quite. Will find out how they’re in the snow. If they hold up. I’m probably going to put a set on my rebel.

cgrad55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the same situation looking for tires for my 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie with 275/60R20's. I want something with a more aggressive look and am looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus. Anyone have any experience with them? I can get them installed for less than $800. I'm in the Midwest so snow handling is important and I also drive about 60 miles (mostly highway) round trip daily. Curious to hear your opinions.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far so good on my Pro Comp AT sports from 4WP. Catch them on sale and I would think it would be hard to find a better tire for similar $$$$. 60k mile tread warranty too.

upload_2019-8-26_9-33-36.png

sheets7777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have always had good luck with General tires. Great mileage, good looking tires I think.
I'll be going back to Grabber X3.