Trouble picking tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BFG Rugged Terrain are the best!! Have had a set two years not, about 15k miles, perfect on road and most off road, trailering, wood hauling, etc. $500 a set for ya at Wal-Mart.

et1123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AT-5 CONQUEROR A/T
LT265 /70 R17 121S E1 OWL

At discount tire $120. I got them for $117. Severe mountain rated, 50,000 rated tires that are quiet and just kick ass in snow.

SnowDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gonna vote that you revisit the Nittos...

This...

Love Love Love my Terra Grapplers. Quiet on the highway (daily driver here too), pulls the boat smooth, decent in 4WD up hills and sticky in the snow. Live in CA and our road crews can turn a road into a sheet of ice quick since they can't use salt. Got my latest set through wal- for only $110 each.

Mfg521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2009 QC 1500 SLT, 204k. My commute is about 60 miles a day. Tire size 275/60/20. Last 3 sets of tires have been the cooper discoverer at3, and not happy with how the last set wore out. I considered the at3-s, and can get installed for about $800. Considered BFG T/A on discount tire direct, and best price I saw was around 915. Ruled out the nittos and the falkens. Started looking at Goodyear duratracs, and after rebates and promos they would be close to $700. Having trouble pulling the trigger, since this is a high mileage truck and I am hoping to use it less than a daily driver. Hoping to get another 50-75k on it. Anyone want to chime in? I dont plow, occasionally may have a load of wood or furniture, and only tow a popup or small trailer. I live in CT, so snow and ice.
Thanks

Mfg521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the cooper at3 xlt and I had the previous generation of them before I got abot 69000 out of them but you have to be religious about rotating tiers and if your highway driving it may benefit you to buy a summer tire and winter tire you can pick up stock rim and tire combo for under 1000 on the used market

ilovemyramlaremie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No way on the Nitto Ridge Grappler if you commuting, way too aggressive, and not smooth!
If you really want a good tire, you gonna have to spend the cash. Take a look a the general ATX, a quality tire built in the USA

crawram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
My brother has a friend who works at Main Street tire. I told him i was looking for a lightweight tire that was good in the snow here in the Colorado mountains. He recommended Nokian Rotiva AT. The 275 60 20s i got weigh 39lbs and cost me just over 600 tax included. Not real aggressive looking sidewalls tho if thats what ur after. Look em up they have alot of neat features and are made in Finland.

slam 425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 e-torque
I put stock size falken at/3 about 2 months ago and I couldn’t be happier. Virtually no noise difference from stock good years look better can’t speak of how long they’ll last only have about 3500 miles on them.
Took a 1000 mile round trip to Virginia a few weeks ago and they were better than expected.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Goodyear all terrain adventure with kevlar. Awesome tire had them on my last ram

Mike McWhorter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yup, Ridge Grappler FTW

Yep, I agree. They are the best tires I ever had with considering road noise, smooth ride and handling, also came with a 60k mile warranty, AND they look good :) They may be a little more expensive (230'ish range) but in the long run, I'm putting about 25-30k miles a year between personal and business use. I will definitely buy another set of these in the future.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No way on the Nitto Ridge Grappler if you commuting, way too aggressive, and not smooth!
If you really want a good tire, you gonna have to spend the cash. Take a look a the general ATX, a quality tire built in the USA

What?!?!? I use mine on my daily commute, and they are quiet and smooth. Think you might be thinking of a different tire.

Retrube

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SCSB 2wd
Engine
5.7 hemi, 3.92 LSD, 6 speed, Catch Can,CAI, Mufflex 5" tips, FM HD50, Hemifever tuned, 190 Thermo
I've had decent luck with the two sets of Cooper At/3's, but have heard others who haven't. We've had two sets of Duratrac's (33's) on the Wranglers and they are an incredible tire. A bit pricey, but they are worth every penny if you want a decent off road tire that isn't too noisy and rides nice on pavement. They last quite a while if rotated every 5,000 too.

I recently purchased a set of Coopers new Evolution tire and with only about 4,500 miles, they've been great. I noticed better stability in the rain and improved grip cornering. Much smoother ride and quieter than the Goodyear SR-A's. So far, so good and only about $600 installed with road hazard. Good luck.
May 2019 phone pics 016.jpg

DieselGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
I have a 2009 QC 1500 SLT, 204k. My commute is about 60 miles a day. Tire size 275/60/20. Last 3 sets of tires have been the cooper discoverer at3, and not happy with how the last set wore out. I considered the at3-s, and can get installed for about $800. Considered BFG T/A on discount tire direct, and best price I saw was around 915. Ruled out the nittos and the falkens. Started looking at Goodyear duratracs, and after rebates and promos they would be close to $700. Having trouble pulling the trigger, since this is a high mileage truck and I am hoping to use it less than a daily driver. Hoping to get another 50-75k on it. Anyone want to chime in? I dont plow, occasionally may have a load of wood or furniture, and only tow a popup or small trailer. I live in CT, so snow and ice.
Thanks
I just installed Continental TerrainContact A/Ts on my 3500 SRW. Initially, very good- very little if any road noise, slightly more forgiving than the Firestone Transforce tires that came on the truck. Still waiting on my $100.00 rebate from Continental. Promo ends on 8/31. Were just over $1000.00; to me, worth the money. Really good warranty from Continental. Read about a lot of tires before making my decision. Check it out!

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I have the cooper at3 xlt and I had the previous generation of them before I got abot 69000 out of them but you have to be religious about rotating tiers and if your highway driving it may benefit you to buy a summer tire and winter tire you can pick up stock rim and tire combo for under 1000 on the used market

I've run the Matercrafts on my wife's Jeep with good service. They're made by Cooper.

Last edited:

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a classic case of overthinking. If you have been happy with BFG's in the past then go that route.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i had cooper discover ATs on my Tacoma and they sucked in winter, but likely the truck too. so light in the ass. i put 300 lb of cat litter in the back and still didn't help. i bought my Ram in early february and still has the goodyears. i had no issue with them on snow and we got a good chunk of snow and cold weather starting right about the time i bought it. i would put in 4x4 on good snowfall days to go to work. zero problems. when i switch tires i'll likely be going with the falkens. i'm trusting they will be good with the snowflake winter rating. i wouldn't buy any tire at or not, that doesn't have the all weather rating vs all season. a lot of people think its a difference in tread that makes it rated for all weather. i don't believe that's it at all. i think its a softer tread compound so it sticks better in winter. after all, that's what makes snow tires work more than anything is softer rubber. so my guess is the rubber compound is being all season (harder) and winter (softest)

OP
OP
T

Tonyd76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My last 3 sets were the cooper at3, did not have the at3s. After much deliberation, I went with the general grabber atx. Should be about $660 after rebates, delivered.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Been there too.

Try out various tires and each tire always had something that made me try out another. set.

Until I bought my Michelin LTX M/S, Now called Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Been buying that tire, for every vehicle I own, ever since.
Doubt I ever buy another.

Could care less about "Looks"
Really don;t care a bout Price, as long as the Value is there.
What I do care about is not replacing the damn thing, on the roadside.
Not getting stuck, anywhere, ever, and longevity.

For over almost 30 years now, Michelin LTX M/S.

PS
My buddy has Nitto's. Never realized it. Knew his tires were aggressive, tons of road noise and looked Knarly but he is a City boy, Business guy and like the harley jacket wearing Dentist, likes to look badass.

We wet to fetch a new topper for his truck 03 Ram. Dropping off his busted up, at a friend farm for use as a blind cover. Got off pavement, hit gravel and truck got squirrelly aas hell, I told him you need new tires, he goes they are damn near new.
I told hinm they suck and that is why you wrecked this truck, in the ditch last Feb.

he is going on and on about how awesome his tires arem, how any truck would get squirrelly coming off pavement,m that fast , onto gravel. when we entered the field, hit grass and his tires started spinning out agin, I just laughed, he gets ticked. we go over a few hills, to get to their hunting spot and spin out a few more times, he is justifying it, no weight in rear, wet dew moisten grass, tall grass, etc.

FInaly I asked him, Pete, have you ever felt any of that crap in any of trucks anywhere we ave ever gone? Ether you do not know how to drive, you tires suck or both. Unless you think, between the two of us, I the Gentle one.

he replies, yeah but they look great and I only drive it for hunting.

I use my truck, ever day driver and everything else, I need dependability.
Like my Shoes, Silverware, Underwear, most things in my World, I want to buy it, use it, have it function forever and never really think about the damn thing again.

if that sounds like you, pay the price and get a set of Michelins.
if knarly looking tread and b4eing heard for miles as you go down the road are your main poinst, jam on and best of luck.

i do not like to spend my money, even once, If I do spend it, I damn sure want it to be once or as long as possible between instances.

Carry on . . . .

Last edited: