Truck bed rail issue - question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
My 2022 RAM 1500 Limited came with a soft tonneau cover from the factory. The truck also has the RamBox option and the Cargo management system. I wanted a hard folding cover instead and called BakFlip to purchase one of theirs. After asking me about the truck and learning that I already had a soft cover, I was told that none of their tops would work unless I removed the bed rails that has the moveable cargo tie downs and went to my dealer to purchase and install different rails., they called them "the silver rails".

Instead I called a Mopar dealer and after providing my VIN, I purchased a Mopar folding hard tonneau cover, thinking that Mopar would send me what I needed to do the job properly.......my mistake. In fact, the directions, photos, and hard top look exactly like the BakFlip version only branded differently.

What I learned was that the rails supplied by Mopar to support the hard tonneau cover will not mount to the rails in the truck that supports the soft tonneau cover. The install photos seem to indicate that the truck rails should have a groove in the top of them that the new hard tonneau rails are inserted into. The dealer seems to be lost on what rail I actually need and only after they looked at the installation instruction photos did they understand about this groove. The soft top rails don't have this groove.

Can someone post a photo of their rails with this groove? By any strange luck would you know the part number(s) for these left and right rails? After much searching the dealer thinks these are the correct part numbers, but isn't 100% positive (68295576AC and 68295577AC). Can anyone confirm this?

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still waiting to hear from the dealer as to the correct rails to support the Mopar folding hard tonneau cover.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You need to remove the black rails and install the silver rails to use the BakFlip with the rambox bed. We did this on our 2020 Limited. Just reuse the same bolts for the silver rails. My local dealership just did a straight across trade. I gave them the black rails when the silver rails came in.

I'll try to remember to take a couple pics when I get home from work today.

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
You need to remove the black rails and install the silver rails to use the BakFlip with the rambox bed. We did this on our 2020 Limited. Just reuse the same bolts for the silver rails. My local dealership just did a straight across trade. I gave them the black rails when the silver rails came in.

I'll try to remember to take a couple pics when I get home from work today.

I know it's a remote possibility, but any chance you have the part number for these elusive "silver rails"? Thank you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is a very good chance that Mopar rails are in fact rebranded Backflip bars

maybe a call to Backflip would give you some kind of answer

Just like Mopar Hitches are usually rebranded Curt Hitches

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know it's a remote possibility, but any chance you have the part number for these elusive "silver rails"? Thank you.
I'll see if I can find the part numbers. They were posted on another 5th gen forum a couple years ago.

Edit: I believe these are the correct part numbers for the silver rails...
68027048AD
68027049AD

Last edited:

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2024 with ramboxes arriving shortly and the dealer says that no silver rails are included. I know you can get them from mopar for around $300, but looking at the Truxedo Truxport instructions I won't need the rails if I use 2 blocks or spacers of the same width.

Can anyone measure theirs on a 5th gen and tell me the exact width of the silver rail? It's labeled '5' in this diagram.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111_072210_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111_072210_OneDrive.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2