Truck Jerking Badly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramrebel1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2015 Ram 1500 Rebel edition. My truck is suddenly jerking hard to the right on its own. At low speeds it is more of a vibration but 40mph+ it starts really throwing the entire truck. Predominantly jerks to the right (passenger) side, although can go either way.

It really started the other day, on my way home over bumpy backroads, I suddenly heard one single loud clunk. I was travelling at low speeds; it almost felt like I blew my rear airbag - bouncy and rough ride. The steering wheel itself changed position - going straight now means my steering wheel must be at 2 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. We got out - nothing looked wrong, although my front passenger wheel lining was loose (it had been prior) we clipped it back in, assuming it must just be brushing the wheel, and kept going.
It wasn't until travelling at higher speeds the next morning that it really started throwing me. From the driver's seat, it feels like my front passenger tire is just turning out on its own (or driver when it jerks the other way) however, my fiance was following in her own car and says the tires themselves don't actually turn when the truck jerks. In fact, it looks to her more like the bed suddenly swings loose and throws the rear tire (however, visually the tire motion is subtle, while the truck swerving is not).
The steering wheel doesn't move when the truck swerves - only when I actually turn the wheel to pull it back from whichever direction it ******.
We checked the sway bar bushings - they look brand new (as they should - the sway bar links were replaced less than 5k miles ago) and the sway bars themselves are stable, although rear is bent slightly (has been for a few months - this is not the issue, although not sure if it ties in).
As we inspected the truck, we did find that the front passenger tire has a positive cambor (heavier wear on the outer edge of the tire and appears to be spaced further from the truck then the other three tires).
Switching the truck into 4x4, while not a cure, does stiffle the uncontrolled swerving a bit.
There has been an odd and irregular ticking sound coming from the rear tire(s) definitely driver, possibly passenger as well, for almost a year - mechanic said this was caused by the sway bar links, hence the replacement, however did not fix the issue. Ticking is similar to the sound made by a playing card stuck in a bicycle spoke. Only occurs below 13mph, hitting the gas and dropping down again usually stops it, and that may just be rust and unrelated.
The truck appears to be leaning slightly on the passenger side.

Any ideas? Truck still has the air ride - both bags are fine and the shocks appear fine.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jack the front of the truck up. Sounds like a bad wheel bearing or ball joint and binding in the front. I would check immediately as a bad wheel bearing can cause catastrophic failure and a bad ball joint could as well. It’ll throw the alignment out as the wheel will be able to move a bit more freely even without steering wheel input. Either will cause the tire to sit crooked and cause the truck to randomly pull in the steering.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Jack the front of the truck up. Sounds like a bad wheel bearing or ball joint and binding in the front. I would check immediately as a bad wheel bearing can cause catastrophic failure and a bad ball joint could as well. It’ll throw the alignment out as the wheel will be able to move a bit more freely even without steering wheel input. Either will cause the tire to sit crooked and cause the truck to randomly pull in the steering.
agreed Crazy! also while you are there check the inner and outer tie rods they will also give you that!
Then Jack the rear up and check the trailing arm bushings they will give to that if rear end moves and will give you Clunk or thump sounds as well ! if rear trailing arm bushings are warn they move side to side butting rear end out of thrust line thus throwing truck in one direction or the other abruptly as well !
as far as the clicking from the rear goes check the rear brakes for a broken or popped spring from E brake or rust !
good luck and keep us posted!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Steering Linkage? Driving straight all this happens not related to braking? Or turning? This didnt happen til after you replaced sway bar, how soon after? Why did you replace sway bar just that ticking?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd take it to a tire shop anyhow, no reason to risk your life driving this way, sounds like it is easily reproduced, they will figure it out quick, my 2 pennys on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963