Truck just shutting off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steelerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long story very short...I hope. I have a 2009 Laramie 4wd with the 5.7. Over the last 6 mos the truck has begun to do some odd things. Firstly, and the most dangerous is the truck when driving will simply shut off for 2-4 seconds & then fire back up. I can be doing 5 mph or 80 mph and then it simply shuts off. I have had to 3 dealerships...no codes and have searched the web...nothing! It does not due it often maybe 5x so far. I can go months between occurrences or days. Sometimes just the lights go out but keeps running but most of the time it shuts off.
Second when starting it sometimes fires up and then shuts off. I turn it back on and all is good. Like the first issue, no codes & no pattern.

I'm guessing they're related and it's nothing with the fuel line and/or pump as that was checked. With two young kids I'm getting ready to trade it in as I cannot have it shutting off like this in traffic. I'm robbed of steering & breaks for that split second and don't want to risk it.

I may write into Truck Trend to see if they respond with some ideas but anything here would be great. Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My guess is ignition, that often does not through a code because the truck "thinks" you turned it off.

OP
OP
S

Steelerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla...I'll look into. Just noticed I "look" brand new on this forum. Hmmm...maybe I just shut off also? I admit it's been a couple years since I've been here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
None of the dealerships even hinted at ignition? They had no idea what could be doing this? I think if it is the ignition you might be screwed. I think the fey fobbed ignition system is going to take a chunk out of your wallet, just maybe you can swap a uncoded ignition or even an older metal key ignition. I have no idea how our fob systems are, maybe you can just replace the switch. I'd do some research but I can't think of anything else it could be. Normally if a sensor was shutting you down for some reason it would leave a code.

I don't know if this would help, just thinking out loud. This doesn't fit the ram but maybe this part exists for us.

Dorman/Ignition Passlock Sensor

Last edited:

Drew's Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 09 Ram just started doing the same thing, my wife said that it was stalling but it has happened to me a few times now and it's scary to say the least. I called the dealer I bought it from and they said there is no recalls on the ignitions switch, I own an HHR for commuting and it has a recall on the ignition switch! Has anyone changed out one of these dodge ignition switches?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'd agree with burla. A faulty WCM(wireless control module) can cause your issues, I've seen them become sticky and sometimes will stick in the run position, which kills all power to you're lights,accessories etc. it could also be sticking between run and start.

That's just my best guess from what I've run into at work, im a tech for chrysler dealer. Physically changing the WCM is very easy, but it has to be programmed by the dealer.