truck overheating when idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ANTHONY Summers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
I was wondering if someone could give me some suggestions to check and see why the fan isn't kicking on when idling or stopped at a redlight. could it be the temperature sensor behind the drivers side rear cylinder close to the firewall or a bad relay. If it is a relay where is it?

the temperature reads on the instrument panel but the fan does not come on unless the A/C is on. I know the fan has two speeds one when the air conditioner is on and on to keep the truck cool at idle.

Thanks in Advance.

Anthony

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Well you have half the battle. At least you know it isn't the fans themselves. Do you have a wiring diagram? If the sensor isn't impossible to get to, it might be the cheapest option to try first.

The sensor is here:

Looks like it's going in the fusebox under the hood. I think it's called the TIPM

The fan controller.
CoolingFanController.JPG

CoolingFanControllerCloseup.JPG

Edit: Checked my Haynes Repair Manual for 2009- 2018 in section 3-4 it states:

7. If the fan motor is okay but isnt coming on when the A/c is selected or the engine gets hot then the fan relay might be defective. A relay is used to turn the fan on and off based on a control decision by the PCM (power control module) These control module circuits are fairly complex and checking them should be left to a dealer service department or other qualified repair shop. Sometimes the control system can be fixed by simply identifying and replacing a bad relay.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it is TIPM, very easy to test and even bypass with a relay you don't need such as cig lighter. Unless you feel like shelling out between 1 and 2 grand for a new TIPM. You can even fix TIPM, that is another video, requires a lil electrical knowhow. You just need to buy that little wire with light.