Truck rolling backwards while in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickCoolidge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello i just recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn with 30,000 miles. Today when i placed my truck in park while on slight incline it start to roll backwards. It rolled at least a foot backwards, i check to see if it was in park and it was. Has anyone had any issues like this or similar ones? Two of the tires were park on ice also. Thanks for any info you have to share!

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it roll, or slide on the ice?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where the two tires on ice on the passenger side or driver side? As in the ice was all in the left or right not front or back. If this is the case and say both left tires where on the ice then it slid it did not roll. I’ve had this happen once, I opened the door and as soon as transferred my weight out of the truck, it slid 4 feet. Almost ran me over I then moved it and haven’t parked liked that since. The road was an incline and a good thee feet From the curb into the road was all ice. I would say you could use the parking break, but In my experience the damn thing will freeze in the engaged position so I never set it in the winter. Hell I’ve had manual hubs freeze in the open position before, had to take a heat gun to them so I could lock em and go to work once.

the two tires on ice slid, the tires on dry pavement rolled.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Two tires on ice and the vehicle moving when in park? this is a tough one...aliens.jpg
unless the parking brake was set, only one wheel keeps a vehicle from moving when in park, I'll let you do the physics..

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think mine has ever rolled like you are saying. I park on incline (facing both up and down) regularly. I think I'd agree with Ratket on what happened.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you answered your own question 'parked on ice':D

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only other thing I could think of other than ice: Auto Park feature? However, i'm pretty sure auto-park applies the brakes as well. Or maybe it was combination Auto-Park ice roll back?

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Two tires on ice and the vehicle moving when in park? this is a tough one...View attachment 190982
unless the parking brake was set, only one wheel keeps a vehicle from moving when in park, I'll let you do the physics..

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?

RJRJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
Just purchased a new 2019 2500 Laramie diesel 4WD. I just had something similar to this happen. Slight incline to my driveway, parked with 3 tires on dry pavement and right rear wheel on ice. The truck rolled backwards (left front and rear tires rolled, not slid). I didn't see what the right rear did, but I'm guessing it slid. I caught the roll on video.
Why wouldn't the 3 tires on dry pavement stop the truck from rolling? Very concerning/disturbing...
Now, I set my parking brake; although I never had to with my 2007 3500. My driveway is ~3-4 degree incline according to the level on my iPhone.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The right rear is your drive tire. When you put it in park that is the only wheel holding the truck unless you leave it on 4wd. Then the left front is holding it too.
He must l have an open rear, a posi rear would have held. As for 4wd, that might not make a difference if he has the "Auto" transfer case

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The right rear is your drive tire. When you put it in park that is the only wheel holding the truck unless you leave it on 4wd. Then the left front is holding it too.

Either side can be the “drive tire”. Even open differentials can send drive power to both ends of the axle.
Putting the transmission in park(assuming the park break isn’t set), only locks the transmission(and drive shaft). If either tire on the axle looses traction, all of the axle internals and the tires, are free to spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMatt2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently had a similar situation happen to my 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. At first I thought it might have been the ice but the truck was backed into the driveway when the pavement was dry and it iced overnight. The vehicle was found at the end of our driveway with the front wheels in the cub (it was backed into the driveway). When I tried backing it back up the driveway, I put it into reverse and the engine just revved like it was in neutral. I put it back in park and disengaged the 4x4, then I was able to back the truck back up the driveway.

The second time it happened, it was backed into the driveway and it was in 2x4. Pavement was dry and it rolled about 5-7'. Same thing happened when I tried to back it up the driveway where it revved like it was in neutral. Put it in park, then back into reverse and it moved backwards then.

Took it to the dealership. They said all cables looked in good condition, and were the proper tension. I'm a bit ticked they didn't do a deeper investigation and I'm contemplating contacting Chrysler-Fiat corporate to see if there's anything they can recommend

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know, Nick Coolidge says it rolled. It is possible when he put it park it did not fully engage. There has been the off post about this occurring. Don't know if anyone ever came back with a solution. Another reason to always use the parking break.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know, Nick Coolidge says it rolled. It is possible when he put it park it did not fully engage. There has been the off post about this occurring. Don't know if anyone ever came back with a solution. Another reason to always use the parking break.

This statement above is so true.

There is a reason it is called the parking brake and not the "thing that won't work after years of not using it because it is now rusted in place".

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
If you have the "knob" for selecting the forward or reverse gear. The advice I received from a very knowledgeable Ram mechanic was, " before placing vehicle in "P" set the parking brake and then place the selector into "P"

This will ensure the truck doesn't run over you as your getting out of the driver's door and it's rolling.

I asked why he would give such advice, his comment was, every body thinks they put it in park, but sometimes you just have to believe they just turned the radio down and we're confused. He had investigated enough of the complains about trucks rolling that he knew not every one was bad.

Now I'm not certain if he is right or wrong, I do know, based on his advice, I set my parking brake every time I leave the truck, even if it's parked in the garage on a flat surface.

And of course we have the nanny software update that does the same thing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The only way to find out if it truly rolled, would be to find dry pavement with close to the same or steeper incline & see if it occurs again

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It could have been ice but there have been issues with this before. Rumors are that this is what killed actor Anton Yelchin. His Grand Cherokee rolled back on him a few years ago.

This issue and other complaints is what caused the computer update that doesn't allow the door to be open when the vehicle isn't in park. Had it happen a few days ago on my new 2021 Classic (work vehicle).
I had it in gear, opened the door and it automatically popped it into park.

Also had this issue mentioned to me from a work colleague who had a Durango I believe. It rolled down their driveway and happened more than once.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My personal opinion is the person puts it in Park...but the transmission doesn't fully engage into Park.

Just my thoughts and observations over the years.