Truck shut off at stop sign

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinAltemara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
so this morning I was driving out of my neighborhood, and I stopped at the sign, went to turn and i though i lost power steering, but actually the truck shut off, i didn't even notice, but it started right up, barely had to turn the key for it to start, what could have been the problem, hasn't happened since

1999 ram 1500 5.2

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
check the simple things first. clean battery terminals, inspect for worn wires, loose ground bolts, see if turning the wheel is rubbing any wires that fell. I had a body snap for wires fail once causing some wiring to fall and the steering started rubbing the coating off.
it's not hard to check the grounds, I've had the one by the driver side fender underneath get loose.

I just went through repairing mice chewing up wiring along my wire harness running atop the transmission.

keep looking at stuff. you'll find something.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My old 1997 F150 had a couple of instances of something similar during the last few years. It would run fine and then the engine would die at times when slowing to a stop. Local garage finally figured out it was a dirty throttle body. Just needed cleaning.

OP
OP
K

KevinAltemara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.2
The truck just did it again yesterday, got about a mile away from home, stopped for a red light, it turned green, I hit the gas and no go. I didn't even notice it shut off

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might be the ECM on the firewall. It gets hot, and shuts the engine with no warning, feeling, or lights. You let it sit a few minutes, and it'll start back up. Usually happens when you're slowing or stopping.
If it is the ECM, there are companies that make re-programmed ones. You send them your truck info, and they send the module. Follow the instructions the way they tell you, and it should be ok.