Truck stuck in neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was driving my truck back from our cabin yesterday and as I was turning off the main road towards our house, I flipped the truck into 4wd and the truck stopped moving forward. The road to my house is somewhat steep and is icy which is why I wanted to use 4wd, I actually do this almost daily in the winter. Now my truck will not move nor will it go into gear.

When I select 2wd/4wd/4wd low the truck does not go into any of those gears and it doesn't matter if I'm in park, reverse, or drive it will not move on it's own. It acts like it's stuck in neutral all the time and all the lights work normally when selecting any of the gear selections. I have to keep the parking brake set so it doesn't roll into the woods or the neighbors house. Neutral light is not on, no check engine light or anything abnormal on the dash.

Would a bad transfer case shift motor cause this issue, I've searched the internet and can not find a solution for this problem.

As an aside, I am not a new member here, my original username was AkNomad but I have not been able to get my password reset so I created a new username.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My only advice is to disconnect the battery for solid 10 min and give it a try. Check fuses also there are fuses for almost everything. I know the T-case has a neutral setting so I may be in that but not reading back to the computer right I'm not sure I'm not much of a electrical guy.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My only advice is to disconnect the battery for solid 10 min and give it a try.

This is just what I was thinking.... and about the only thing I can think of. These trucks are just so reliant on electronics these days that who knows what it could be. Pulling the battery cable is the vehicle equivalent of ctrl+alt+del when the home PC freezes up.

In the old days you'd just crawl under it with a hammer and start hitting things until it let loose.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like the transfer case broke internally, while draining the old gear lube some pieces of what looks like a retaining ring fell into the drip pan. And I was able to pull the shift motor without pulling the driveshaft, just a FYI.