Truck went into limp mode with "ETC" warning light - stored P2122

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you for the info but I have a somewhat "less severe" problem. The truck always starts and runs fine but then for no apparent reason all of a sudden goes into limp mode while driving with "lightning bolt", CEL and a P2122 DTC code stored.

If I shut the truck off and re-start it it runs normally again. Then some time later (in this recent case it was 3 months) it happens again.

I took it to the dealer the last time this happened, with DTC stored and CEL still on, but it did no good - they couldn't find anything wrong and just cleared the code.

I don't want to put in a new $$$ computer in unless I'm sure that's the problem.

The problem you described with your truck seems like it could have been a power problem - like it took time for the PCM to "wake up" every time. In my case it seems to be throwing an erroneous code at random.
I fought a similiar issue on my truck,when it only had about 20,000 miles on it,damn near drove me nuts trying to find the issue.I did the same replaced the peddle assembly and throttle body to no avail,finally had my dealer tech buddy come over 1 evening after supper with the dealers scan tool,and we went for a ride,and everytime the truck hit a fairly decent bump,the voltage to the throttle body would drop,and it would go into limp mode.Turned out to be a bad connector pin right at the throttle body,a throttle body electrical repair kit from the dealer and a 1/2 hours time soldering it in place and it's never had another issue since,and that was about 5 years ago.At the time i attributed it to the fact the throttle body had been off and on more times then i could count,but since the fix i've had the throttle body off way more times then before the issue,so i kind of question the quality of the original connector

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did any of this happen before the new battery? It is possible for a bad connection inside the battery. Maybe hook a tester and shake it a bit.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fought a similiar issue on my truck,when it only had about 20,000 miles on it,damn near drove me nuts trying to find the issue.I did the same replaced the peddle assembly and throttle body to no avail,finally had my dealer tech buddy come over 1 evening after supper with the dealers scan tool,and we went for a ride,and everytime the truck hit a fairly decent bump,the voltage to the throttle body would drop,and it would go into limp mode.Turned out to be a bad connector pin right at the throttle body,a throttle body electrical repair kit from the dealer and a 1/2 hours time soldering it in place and it's never had another issue since,and that was about 5 years ago.At the time i attributed it to the fact the throttle body had been off and on more times then i could count,but since the fix i've had the throttle body off way more times then before the issue,so i kind of question the quality of the original connector
Thank you for that input. It very well could be a bad wire or connector somewhere but the dealership supposed checked and couldn't find anything wrong. It has run fine for 3 months (~1000 miles) since the last time it happened so trying to find the issue test driving is gonna be tough.

Every time it has failed it has done so while idling in Drive and coming up to, or stopped, at an intersection. I'm wondering if it's something in the throttle body (sticking throttle plate at idle?) and will check it today.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did any of this happen before the new battery? It is possible for a bad connection inside the battery. Maybe hook a tester and shake it a bit.
Good question - NO, this did not happen before the new battery. Before the new battery was installed the truck was jump-started. After the new battery was installed there was a CEL and a bunch of stored DTCs. I asked the dealership about it and they said that DTCs after a jump start and battery swap was normal but I'm not 100% convinced. However all the DTCs eventually cleared on their own and the truck runs normally MOST of the time. I would think that if jump starting fried anything the truck would not run at all.

If the battery was bad would the truck crank/start so easily? I did check the battery connections awhile back and everything seemed good. No corrosion, nothing loose, etc.

But I will look into this. Thank you for the suggestion.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on what I'm reading here:

1) You have replaced your pedal with a new one
2) you do NOT have a pedal commander or other throttle control accessory
3) The dealer is unable to replicate the problem, and has not been able to provide a reason why (no surprise)
4) This started happening after you vacuumed the truck once a while ago, and has been intermittent since.

All of this usually indicates either a lose pin or wires broken inside the pin (so that the wire winds up only having a few strands actually connected inside the pin - all the others are connected intermittently at the break, but when too many are not, it causes the voltage passed by the wire to be lower than it should - i.e.: out of tolerance) to the pedal or the TBC, a lose or dirty connector (causing lower voltage on that channel), a bent or lose pin, or a wire that is shorting out to ground in the harness (it happens - usually when a wire rubs regularly against something sharp).

The Pedal gets +5VDC in on two channels, and sends out put through two resistor channels: as you press the pedal, less resistance means more voltage is sent to the PCM.

Both channels should be the same (within a few mV) voltage of each other.

If one channel is out of tolerance from the other, it triggers the DTC, and puts you into limp mode - mainly to protect you from a faulty pedal causing unintended acceleration - which could of course cause you to wreck.

If the internals of the pedal are bad, or one of the resistance channels is failed or failing, the voltage across that channel will be much lower than the channel that is working - again, this causes an "out of tolerance" situation, and you get put into limp mode - throwing one of the 21xx codes usually.

Since the pedal is the only part that moves in this circuit (your code will throw before the throttle side of this is involved because the PCM will detect the error before it sends output to the throttle) this is the most likely failure locations.

Since you've replaced the pedal, the next part would be any connectors that are in the circuit - the closer a connector is to a moving part, the more likely it is that it could have premature failure - leading to the wires where they connect to the pins, the pins themselves (bent, broken internally, or lose - the pin MIGHT look fine, but it could be bad - and you'd not know it), or the connectors not seating correctly.

Check for +5 VDC at each of the supply side pins, and verify you have good ground on both ground pins. The signal pins will be more difficult to determine if there's a problem, but I believe you can use AlphaOBD to monitor the output through the PCM.

I've attached the wiring diagram for the circuit in case you need it. The pedal side is exactly the same across all models with possible exception of the pin numbers on the PCM/Firewall.

Attachments

• THROTTLE-CONTROL-SYSTEM---5.7L---8-SPEED.pdf
    131 KB · Views: 3

MJP81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
After reading all this, i would be inclined to warranty that battery out and put in a new one....but another thing to check: I had an intermittent issue with my last truck (a chevy...) that was turning my traction control on and off and throwing a bunch of codes. replaced a bunch of sensors, still issues. Then I read about electrical fretting corrosion. basically, the pins on electrical plug connectors get "corroded" I couldn't see any corrosion, but it was there, because i took a tiny piece of scotch brite pad, took apart my connections on the sensors I thought were causing the issue, and rubbed down all those pins the best I could with the pad. put a little dielectric grease on everything, put it back together, and never had another problem. Not sure if it'll solve your issue, but at this point, maybe worth a shot?

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

3) The dealer is unable to replicate the problem, and has not been able to provide a reason why (no surprise)
4) This started happening after you vacuumed the truck once a while ago, and has been intermittent since.

All of this usually indicates either a lose pin or wires broken inside the pin (so that the wire winds up only having a few strands actually connected inside the pin - all the others are connected intermittently at the break, but when too many are not, it causes the voltage passed by the wire to be lower than it should - i.e.: out of tolerance) to the pedal or the TBC, a lose or dirty connector (causing lower voltage on that channel), a bent or lose pin, or a wire that is shorting out to ground in the harness (it happens - usually when a wire rubs regularly against something sharp).

The Pedal gets +5VDC in on two channels, and sends out put through two resistor channels: as you press the pedal, less resistance means more voltage is sent to the PCM.

If one channel is out of tolerance from the other, it triggers the DTC, and puts you into limp mode - mainly to protect you from a faulty pedal causing unintended acceleration - which could of course cause you to wreck.

If the internals of the pedal are bad, or one of the resistance channels is failed or failing, the voltage across that channel will be much lower than the channel that is working - again, this causes an "out of tolerance" situation, and you get put into limp mode - throwing one of the 21xx codes usually.

Since the pedal is the only part that moves in this circuit (your code will throw before the throttle side of this is involved because the PCM will detect the error before it sends output to the throttle) this is the most likely failure locations.

Since you've replaced the pedal, the next part would be any connectors that are in the circuit - the closer a connector is to a moving part, the more likely it is that it could have premature failure - leading to the wires where they connect to the pins, the pins themselves (bent, broken internally, or lose - the pin MIGHT look fine, but it could be bad - and you'd not know it), or the connectors not seating correctly.

Check for +5 VDC at each of the supply side pins, and verify you have good ground on both ground pins. The signal pins will be more difficult to determine if there's a problem, but I believe you can use AlphaOBD to monitor the output through the PCM.

I've attached the wiring diagram for the circuit in case you need it. The pedal side is exactly the same across all models with possible exception of the pin numbers on the PCM/Firewall.
Thank you for the info. My next question was going to be if anyone knew where I could find the wiring diagram! Thank you.

Actually, in reading back through my own posts as well as the recent one above, this all started happening after the battery was replaced. The battery was replaced immediately following a jump start which threw a bunch of DTCs.

Anyhow, I will check all of what you suggested. Thank you.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading all this, i would be inclined to warranty that battery out and put in a new one....but another thing to check: I had an intermittent issue with my last truck (a chevy...) that was turning my traction control on and off and throwing a bunch of codes. replaced a bunch of sensors, still issues. Then I read about electrical fretting corrosion. basically, the pins on electrical plug connectors get "corroded" I couldn't see any corrosion, but it was there, because i took a tiny piece of scotch brite pad, took apart my connections on the sensors I thought were causing the issue, and rubbed down all those pins the best I could with the pad. put a little dielectric grease on everything, put it back together, and never had another problem. Not sure if it'll solve your issue, but at this point, maybe worth a shot?
Will take a look. Thank you.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The battery was replaced immediately following a jump start which threw a bunch of DTCs.
If the battery was replaced, there is a possibility you need to recalibrate the pedal - I'm don't know if that applies to the 1500 series - I haven't had to do that - but I believe it applies to older 2500 diesel models...

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the battery was replaced, there is a possibility you need to recalibrate the pedal - I'm don't know if that applies to the 1500 series - I haven't had to do that - but I believe it applies to older 2500 diesel models...
I don't know if it applies either but I already did it anyway and the problem happened again since.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Now this is just getting weird. Today I climbed in the truck and, as usual, it started right up. But this time there were NO warning lights - no CEL, no lightning bolt - and it ran completely normally ALL DAY.

I had not cleared the DTC codes and I had only driven about 8 miles since this recent "limp mode" episode. I checked and it still shows P2122 and U1428 are stored - so why did the CEL go off all by itself?

I've run checks on the battery and alternator and inspected the APPS connectors and everything is good. Voltages and continuity at the pins of APPS and harness all check out.

So what's going on here? AFAIK, the "CEL" will only self-clear after 50 miles with no repeat occurrence of the problem - so why is it off NOW after only ~8miles? I'm starting to think it's the PCM. Maybe these aren't even real DTCs?