Tune or Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only have a CAI installed so far for performance. I have a fair amount of extras installed that are likely bogging me down. Just wondering what will give me the best bang for my buck at this stage. And what one will be more noticeable? I would really like a nice sounding exhaust.. : )

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was about $170 in for a new muffler installed.... where a Tuner is about $500. Big difference there. I haven't bought a tuner yet, but they both will be noticeable in different areas. The exhaust you will notice the sound, and probably nothing on the throttle. And opposite for the tuner. Up to you what you want.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you want performance, the tuner is hands down the best bang for buck mod you can buy. A muffler swap may get you 5hp to the wheels, where a custom tune is good for about 30hp. The muffler will really just be more for sound than actual performance gains.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My tuner made my truck with 35's perform better than it did stock, so I was happy with that. Unfortunately for you your truck is a 2015, so you'll also need to either send your PCM away to get flashed, or buy a new PCM. You're looking at around $1000 to get a tuner on a 2015+ Ram.

MotleyMick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done both to my 2015 1500 5.7 The first exhaust system had no muffler and 3" pipes. I lost A LOT of power. on the bottom end. I think it was because I lost back pressure. So then I put a MF 18 muffler on. No extra power added just got back what I lost. Then I did a K&N CAI. It made it a little louder and a little quicker. Then I got the Diablosport 12 Tuner. I just did the 93 Octane tune and it is very noticeable. Next I want to get the Hemifever tune for it.

So, it depends on your budget. But IMO the best bang dollar for dollar is a tune.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tune. Like Matt said, it's going to be your best bang for your buck on any mod that you do moving forward. I've posted before that if I could do over I would build my mods around a tune instead of doing it near last.

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I ll probably go with the exhaust first. Craving the sound. My dealership can get me an MBRP catback for 850.00 CAD. Just wondering am I going to see rust issues with this black exhaust and what are some opinions on it?

Any reason not to go with the full catback besides money. Will I get the same sound just switching out the muffler?

Thanks

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually the one he has isn t black, but he said he'd throw in couple 4 or 5 inch black tips off a diesel I guess. Said it would fill in the cutouts nicely.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I ll probably go with the exhaust first. Craving the sound. My dealership can get me an MBRP catback for 850.00 CAD. Just wondering am I going to see rust issues with this black exhaust and what are some opinions on it?

Any reason not to go with the full catback besides money. Will I get the same sound just switching out the muffler?

Thanks

I researched this and found no reason what so ever to go to a full catback besides looks. Piping is same size diameter. Only differences would be resonators, muffler and tips.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can just switch out the muffler a d see about the same performance result. Make sure you have some resonators on the no matter which way you go otherwise the drone in MRS mode will suck. The tuner will get you the biggest gains but having an exhaust on the truck will help the tuning er maximize your truck's performance potential

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I m not real sure now. I mainly just wanted it for the sound and the tips.. I could probably save some money..

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just said screw it and bought the entire catback exhaust. Will likely install tonight. Doesn t seem very complicated. Took the box apart last night just to eye it up.. Any tips or tools that might help save some time and pain?

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe a helping hand from the wife or kid to hold stuff. Other than that exhaust installs are pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Started switching out my exhaust last night. Terrible conditions to do it in. Should of prepped my garage better.

Everything went good up until I tried removing the straight pipe from the y-pipe. I can t seem to get it to slide out. I spent about a full hour fighting it.. At the end I started using a flat screwdriver and hammer to stretch out the pipe some. It was getting close but it was late and I was out of gas..

Any techniques for troublesome parts like this?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah...an air chisel.

I've seen guys take a dremel and cut a slit down the pipe an inch or a bit more so they can spread it easier.

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah. So this particular piece is usually a *****?! I'd like to keep it in decent shape so I can sell it because it only has 1500kms on it. It s almost there but man I don t feel like fighting it anymore..

I don t have a Dremel but I have an angle grinder. Could I make a small slit with it.