Tune up tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TjCob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Hi all, I’ve got a 1992 W150 that has been sitting for some time and I’d like to do a tune up on. Its got the 5.2/318 V8, I’m not sure if it’s an LA or Magnum or how to tell the difference so I need to figure that out as well lol. It’s gonna need new plugs/wires, I’ve changed the oil and coolant as well as oil and fuel filters. What else would be wise to look at replacing on one of these trucks? It’s been sitting since 2015 or so and I’m not very familiar with older vehicles so I’m not really sure where to start but I would appreciate any help.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if your 92 is anything like mine, your engine a transitional hybrid between LA and Magnum. simply put, probably an LA lower end and Magnum top end. the bolts on your valve covers will give away the fact you have magnum heads and roller cams if there are 10 bolts. LA have I belive 3 bolts on top and 2 on the bottom. for the most part, if you have 10 bolts, its a magnum for maintenance purposes.

I recommend using Rockauto.com and get plugs, wires, oil/air/fuel filters, hoses, belts, distributor rebuild parts, etc.

for most old vehicles, my experience has been replacing all vacuum hoses will save you hours of headaches. they're usually all dry rotted and cracked.

final part of the 'refresh' would be the transmission. if it's been sitting a while, the fluid can get pretty nasty even enough to clog up the valve body. I'd add in changing the diff and transfer case oil as well later on down the line.

old trucks are fun!

enjoy!

OP
OP
T

TjCob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Thanks for the info reek. It’s been hard to find people that know about these trucks and like I said I’m not real familiar with stuff this old so it’s been a challenge trying to clean this thing up. I did get it running yesterday though! It moved good under its own power to pull into my driveway. I think she’s gonna go for a test drive later today and we’ll find out how bad things need replaced if they break lol.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
cool, good luck with getting things going. post up some pics of the truck!