Tuner poll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK everyone... I know there are many ... Many threads on the subject. But... Let's do this all in one...

What is the best hemi tuner to go with? Price, functionality, ease of use. Here are a couple I'm thinking of. I like HpTuners and alfaobd. Add any others that you recommend

Alfaobd
HpTuners
Bullydog

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK everyone... I know there are many ... Many threads on the subject. But... Let's do this all in one...

What is the best hemi tuner to go with? Price, functionality, ease of use. Here are a couple I'm thinking of. I like HpTuners and alfaobd. Add any others that you recommend

Alfaobd
HpTuners
Bullydog
This type of question can bring a ton of different answers and cause crazy arguments. This needs to be broken down between handheld tuners and custom tuning. We all know the handheld brands like Diablosport, SCT, Hypertech, BullyDog, etc. The most know custom tuning solutions are HP Tuners, BG Pro Tuning, Syked, etc.

The handheld tuning game is basically a plug-n-play solution and pressing a few buttons and answering some questions. These are considered "Canned Tunes". Most handheld tuners have three or four different tunes to choose from.

The custom tuning route like HP Tuners means you are doing the tuning yourself and not flashing a "canned" tune. In HP Tuners you are making the changes to the software to tell the engine and trans what to do.

I am an advocate for people to learn how to tune using HP Tuners or the BG Pro Tuning setup or other custom tuning solutions but it is not for everyone. It takes a long time to understand how tuning works. It's really easy to make a mistake even for the experienced tuner. Change one thing in the tune or leave a box unchecked and the truck might not start or idle correctly. Then you have to go back and find what you did wrong.

Now, if you have drivability experience and in-depth knowledge of scan tools and diagnosing drivability issues then you probably have a good grasp on the fundamentals of tuning. In the dealership we have the capability to flash PCM's and all the other modules but we are not the ones building the tune/software. They are built by the Chrysler people and we are the ones who install them. We do all of the diagnostic work and over time the engineers look at the issues we are seeing on a daily basis and then build the software to correct those issues and make them available to us as technicians to flash a module on a particular vehicle.

For me in particular I am an HP Tuners guy. I recently purchased the BG Pro Tuning setup to use on the older JTEC powered trucks and Vipers but I haven't spent much time using the BG setup yet.

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This type of question can bring a ton of different answers and cause crazy arguments. This needs to be broken down between handheld tuners and custom tuning. We all know the handheld brands like Diablosport, SCT, Hypertech, BullyDog, etc. The most know custom tuning solutions are HP Tuners, BG Pro Tuning, Syked, etc.

The handheld tuning game is basically a plug-n-play solution and pressing a few buttons and answering some questions. These are considered "Canned Tunes". Most handheld tuners have three or four different tunes to choose from.

The custom tuning route like HP Tuners means you are doing the tuning yourself and not flashing a "canned" tune. In HP Tuners you are making the changes to the software to tell the engine and trans what to do.

I am an advocate for people to learn how to tune using HP Tuners or the BG Pro Tuning setup or other custom tuning solutions but it is not for everyone. It takes a long time to understand how tuning works. It's really easy to make a mistake even for the experienced tuner. Change one thing in the tune or leave a box unchecked and the truck might not start or idle correctly. Then you have to go back and find what you did wrong.

Now, if you have drivability experience and in-depth knowledge of scan tools and diagnosing drivability issues then you probably have a good grasp on the fundamentals of tuning. In the dealership we have the capability to flash PCM's and all the other modules but we are not the ones building the tune/software. They are built by the Chrysler people and we are the ones who install them. We do all of the diagnostic work and over time the engineers look at the issues we are seeing on a daily basis and then build the software to correct those issues and make them available to us as technicians to flash a module on a particular vehicle.

For me in particular I am an HP Tuners guy. I recently purchased the BG Pro Tuning setup to use on the older JTEC powered trucks and Vipers but I haven't spent much time using the BG setup yet.

Thanx for the big response...

I have little knowledge of custom tuning, but I'm very computer savvy lol!!! I think I'm leaning toward HPTuners. I have not heard of BG Pro though. I will look them up. What makes you like BG? What are your thoughts on tuner apps like AlfaOBD?

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanx for the big response...

I have little knowledge of custom tuning, but I'm very computer savvy lol!!! I think I'm leaning toward HPTuners. I have not heard of BG Pro though. I will look them up. What makes you like BG? What are your thoughts on tuner apps like AlfaOBD?

AlfaOBD is not really a “Tuner” app. It is used to adjust some parameters and turn on and off OEM options. I don’t think you can actually adjust fuel and timing with it like you can the other true runner apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hemifever built the tune for you and you loaded it with Diablo?

Yup any CMR tuner with the Diablo Software can write a tune for unlocked, usually labeled "Platinum", Diablo handhelds. Mine were done by Jay Greene for the TCM/PCM and loaded with i3's on both my Hemi's. I wish I had gone HP Tuners for other reasons like being able to tweak my own tunes here and there as well as more flexibility, but that's mainly for the Challenger.

For most people the Diablo package will be easier, simpler, and cheaper when they have sales.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yup any CMR tuner with the Diablo Software can write a tune for unlocked, usually labeled "Platinum", Diablo handhelds. Mine were done by Jay Greene for the TCM/PCM and loaded with i3's on both my Hemi's. I wish I had gone HP Tuners for other reasons like being able to tweak my own tunes here and there as well as more flexibility, but that's mainly for the Challenger.

For most people the Diablo package will be easier, simpler, and cheaper when they have sales.

My wife just traded her shaker hood Challenger off ,on a 1320 Challenger,damn thing is impressive in drag mode,and shifts every bit as fast as my tuned/tweaked trucks 8 speed does,lol.Sucks having to wait till it has 500 miles on it,before it'll let you use the line lock and tranny brake though,and apparently they get a bit quicker after the 500 mile mark once the computor relaxes it's nanny controls,lol.I'm looking forward to trying out the tranny brake more then anything,lol

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My wife just traded her shaker hood Challenger off ,on a 1320 Challenger,damn thing is impressive in drag mode,and shifts every bit as fast as my tuned/tweaked trucks 8 speed does,lol.Sucks having to wait till it has 500 miles on it,before it'll let you use the line lock and tranny brake though,and apparently they get a bit quicker after the 500 mile mark once the computor relaxes it's nanny controls,lol.I'm looking forward to trying out the tranny brake more then anything,lol

If it's anything like my 6.4 then yea after that magical 500 miles things do get a little better. Biggest thing I got out of the tune was some more up top which makes playing with my buddy in his terminator more of an even match up from a roll. Out of the hole I honestly didn't see much difference using the terminator as my metric, FCA didn't leave much on the table with that factory SRT tune.

My stock TCM tune was pretty on point, but after Jay worked his magic that thing is really put together. Most of the time when I'm out having fun I don't even need to touch the paddles just make sure I'm in the right mode and "prime" it a bit with the right foot to get it in the mood.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with Diablo as there PCM exchange program is super easy and is the best value. The canned Diablo engine tunes aren't bad, definitely better than stock. I did opt to go with a custom tune from Jay Greene

I wanted to initially go HP but it costs more money to have the ECU unlocked and the screwing around with shipping the PCM back and forth and buying credits just didn't make sense for my application.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemifever built the tune for you and you loaded it with Diablo?

Yes. Was really pretty easy. I think I got $100 off the tune. I bought the tune, Diablo, and PCM through Moe's. I got the tune for $100 instead of $200, I guess it was a "bundle deal". I tried some of the Diablo canned tunes while waiting for my Hemifever tune and they were total garbage. Truck ran and felt so bad.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If it's anything like my 6.4 then yea after that magical 500 miles things do get a little better. Biggest thing I got out of the tune was some more up top which makes playing with my buddy in his terminator more of an even match up from a roll. Out of the hole I honestly didn't see much difference using the terminator as my metric, FCA didn't leave much on the table with that factory SRT tune.

My stock TCM tune was pretty on point, but after Jay worked his magic that thing is really put together. Most of the time when I'm out having fun I don't even need to touch the paddles just make sure I'm in the right mode and "prime" it a bit with the right foot to get it in the mood.

From what the guys are saying who are racing their 1320's, the 1320 supposedly eats the Scat Pack cars if both are stock. I was figuring it wouldn't be much quicker then a 6.4 Scat Pack,but apparently i'm under estimating the car.Time will tell,as i'm not making any judgement calls on the car till it's got a few timeslips under it's belt,lol. Our local track doesn't open till May 1st,and my wife has already booked that week off ,so she can be at the track the day it opens,lol.All I've done to it,is put a 180 t-stat in it,re-purpose the Moroso catch can off her old car onto this one,and added the Mopar cold air intake and Hellcat headlight duct,that's as far as i'm taking it for at least the next couple years,as FCA warrenties them even if they break on the track,as long as the car is stock,so it'll pretty well stay where it's at for now,besides my wife is hard enough on tires as it is.Did pull the light weight drag radials off it,and replace them with Hellcat replica's and Falkens,so I feel a little safer while she's driving it on the street.I'm all set up to change tires at the track with an electric jack/cordless impacts etc.,so i'll throw the drag radials back on at the track when she's racing it.
Here's a little video on how to use the line lock/tranny brake to launch it.

https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/ar...2019-dodge-challenger-r-t-scat-pack-1320.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes. Was really pretty easy. I think I got $100 off the tune. I bought the tune, Diablo, and PCM through Moe's. I got the tune for $100 instead of $200, I guess it was a "bundle deal". I tried some of the Diablo canned tunes while waiting for my Hemifever tune and they were total garbage. Truck ran and felt so bad.

How much was the package? What do you have done to your truck?

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much was the package? What do you have done to your truck?

$1100. I bought the PCM though, wanted to keep mine. Deleted my AGS, 180 tstat, Moe's ported throttle body, Vararam intake, JBA ceramic coated shortys, oil catch can, Carven Progressive muffler, 5" tips, powerstop z brake kit, 2" drop-in the rear, hellwig swaybar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Hemifever 93 octane tune. I think that's it. Lol

OP
OP
R

RamKing70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$1100. I bought the PCM though, wanted to keep mine. Deleted my AGS, 180 tstat, Moe's ported throttle body, Vararam intake, JBA ceramic coated shortys, oil catch can, Carven Progressive muffler, 5" tips, powerstop z brake kit, 2" drop-in the rear, hellwig swaybar, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Hemifever 93 octane tune. I think that's it. Lol

Nicely done. I'm not building mine for speed lol. More eco and off road.