Turning headlights off??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Red1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 V-8 Hemi
I have the 2021 1500 Limited Ram. I have been on a couple of phone calls at night in an RV park. I have found that I can't turn the headlights off when the engine is running in such a setting. Turned to each setting on the headlight control and the lights stay on. Turn the engine off and lights will go out. Just curious if I am missing something. Thanks

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 2021 1500 Limited Ram. I have been on a couple of phone calls at night in an RV park. I have found that I can't turn the headlights off when the engine is running in such a setting. Turned to each setting on the headlight control and the lights stay on. Turn the engine off and lights will go out. Just curious if I am missing something. Thanks

Hi Big Red1

I have a '21 Ram 1500 and if I recall correctly, the closest you can get is to disable the headlights and have the front turn signals illuminated. Start the truck and rotate the light knob cw one click.

The daylight sensor will also cause the tail lights to be illuminated after dark. So, after dark, front turn signals and tail lights are on but no headlights.

My truck is the Canadian version (still US-made) and there may be subtle differences due to legally mandated daytime running lights here.

I'm not certain why this doesn't function on your truck. I've used this setting repeatedly while driving in heavy fog where the illuminated headlights were not helpful.

I'll try some tests shortly and update you with the results in a short while.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Being Canadian with the mandatory day time running lights may be the issue. It may need to be turned off in the BCM.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Turn off the DRL in the settings menu on your touch screen and turn the headlight knob fully counter-clockwise to OFF. Now the headlights won't be on when the truck is running.

Canadian trucks don't have the DRL option in settings like the USA trucks. You have to go into the BCM to make any settings changes to disable the DRL.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is the Canadian version with no control of DTRLs but here's what I confirmed works on my truck;

I covered up the light sensor on the dashboard (to fake night-time) and moved the light selector knob 1 stop cw and then had no headlights illuminated only the front turn signals. (DTRLs)

Your truck is likely different but as brian42 said, you may have touchscreen settings to adjust.

1107 no headlights.jpg1107 DTRL only (1).jpg

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try setting the parking brake. I have not tried it on my 22, but it worked on my older trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963