Turning lights off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I often think we are not really helping ourselves as we continually seek to preserve the shallow end of the gene pool.

This may seem callous, and maybe I am, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything, and let the problem solve itself?

Folks driving at night, no lights, or driving in inclement weather (sometimes at night!) and still not lights.
I suppose it doesn't help that so many dashboards are LED-lit and are always on, day and night, and an idiot operator who sees the dash lights on and thinks that the headlights are on as well.

My USA 2014 Laramie lets me turn everything off or on as I choose. But I guess I got into the habit of running with lights on while driving a company car for 25 years.
I agree totally! Let Natural Selection take its course, future generations would benefit greatly !

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
OK, feeling a bit dumb here. Went to a drive thru Christmas light show.
How in the heck do we turn all the lights off on these damned trucks, 2019 1500 Laramie.
Tried everything I could think off even played with that damned electric park brake. It turned them off for a second,
then right back on.
Daytime running lights can only be turned off or on at the dealer with their computer connection. I had mine turned on as it gives me a discount with my insurance.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Daytime running lights can only be turned off or on at the dealer with their computer connection. I had mine turned on as it gives me a discount with my insurance.
Or by simply turning them on or off in the radio settings, which his truck, and all US Market 2019+ Ram 1500 5th gens are automatically equipped with…
IMG_0197.jpeg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not so. I have the lowest 5" base unit radio there is and I can turn mine on and off in the Settings menu. It looks a bit different than Jimmy07 above, but I'm techno-stupid and I found it. I have mine turned on, and they are on whenever the engine is running, even in park with the brake on.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Most vehicles with DRL and automatic exterior lights up here do not illuminate soon enough and obviously most drivers don't have sufficient awareness to manually engage lighting.
I believe this could be mostly* overcome by not automatically lighting up the dash unless the running/headlights are on. Unfortunately, many of the newer cars have a lot of digital components, that require power to see them. In fact, my wife's Telluride has a 100% digital dash. There is not a single analog part of it. Thankfully, the ON position of the headlight switch turns the lights off after you shut the car off, so she just leaves it there rather than the often-annoying Auto position.

*There is no such thing as idiot proof...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I often think we are not really helping ourselves as we continually seek to preserve the shallow end of the gene pool.

This may seem callous, and maybe I am, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything, and let the problem solve itself?
That would be fine if it only affected the stupid. However, often the stupid one walks away to drive another day while the innocent/smart one suffers. So unfortunately, this is not the answer. JMO

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember those old, big, TVs on the metal tray stands. I learned about it as I served as my Dad's original "remote control" for the TV!
My first ever Color TV was an old English style cabinet console which I found at the trash dumpster at my apartment complex circa 1975-ish. It did not work, and became the base for my B&W portable 13 incher until I could afford a new picture tube for it. Along about 1978, I obtained a reman picture tube and had a buddy install it and degausse it, and it worked well.

That was an old tube style set which required warm up, and a couple of minutes for the color to come alive.
That TV lasted me until 1984.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My first ever Color TV was an old English style cabinet console which I found at the trash dumpster at my apartment complex circa 1975-ish. It did not work, and became the base for my B&W portable 13 incher until I could afford a new picture tube for it. Along about 1978, I obtained a reman picture tube and had a buddy install it and degausse it, and it worked well.

That was an old tube style set which required warm up, and a couple of minutes for the color to come alive.
That TV lasted me until 1984.
I was in that business for a few years. Color was just coming in here when I started.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know you all have seen that dome on top of your dashboard, that dome is light sensitive, put anything on it & if your headlight switch is set to the AUTO position.

Your headlights will come on, if the engine is running.

I have used a small piece of cloth over it since the beginning of 2009.
Since 2016, i have used a wide mouth bottle cap
My cap is dark blue

1705462047790.png
1705461802146.png