UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I just got my 18 harvest edition back from the dealer who updated my sw to fix a whole host of problems I have had since I bought it. I immediately noticed the stereo sounded like garbage. I have been looking through this thread to see I am not alone.

Welcome to our miserable club. We love company.

I'd call the dealer and ask for the service writer that checked you in and did your paperwork and loudly ask, "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY STEREO?"

...and see what they say. Just see if they've heard of the problem.

Thechaz05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I planned on doing exactly that just to see what they plan to do.

As soon as I left I thought why does this sound like garbage?

I can’t believe some of you have dealt with this for 6 months. This is unacceptable.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Thanks, I planned on doing exactly that just to see what they plan to do.

As soon as I left I thought why does this sound like garbage?

I can’t believe some of you have dealt with this for 6 months. This is unacceptable.

It's disgusting. In my case I had my truck for about two weeks when I replaced the corner dash speakers. A couple weeks later I replaced the 6X9's in the front doors. About a week after that I put the 4 ohm resistors on the dash speakers. All of these changes made the stock system quite a bit better. Then I put a subwoofer behind the back seat, got it all dialed in and I was rockin'. But only for ten days. Ten days after all these upgrades were finalized and then Uconnect's update sh*t all over my stereo system and ruined it. Weeks of progressively getting better and better audio sound and then *kaput*.

And as you say, it's been like that for 6 months now...

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I haven't chimed in for awhile. I got so fed up with it that I cancelled my sirius xm then tried not to think about it too much and now just listen to the magnaflows. I still cannot for the life of me, understand why it's been 6 months since this happened. I have very little hope left.

Thechaz05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried to get in touch with my service advisor today to advise him that the sw fix they did yesterday not only didn’t fix my issue with my temperature display being wrong, it destroyed my eq for my stereo. I called a couple times and left message, no call back. I wouldn’t want to talk to me either.

My truck has been an electrical nightmare from day one.

Thechaz05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the response I got from RCA this morning. Doesn’t look like there is a sw fix created. This reads like a tough sh*t, we don’t care.

88649EA3-1A14-42F5-A88F-6FD6FF84C7C0.png

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd post a screenshot onto their twitter of that and ask how they get off closing a case that has not been resolved. Maybe throw in the phrase "falsely inflating your case resolution numbers"

The one time I had a case opened with them they did something similar. All well and good for a week or two but then they heard me say something they could interpret the way they wanted to and boom case closed as "resolved".

Load of crap and they should be raked over the coals for it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
And how come they gave you a different answer than the email I received? We should get on Twitter and Fbook and post them both, and ask for an explanation.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
And how come they gave you a different answer than the email I received? We should get on Twitter and Fbook and post them both, and ask for an explanation.

I like that idea.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Here is the response I got from RCA this morning. Doesn’t look like there is a sw fix created. This reads like a tough sh*t, we don’t care.

"We are in the process of developing a subsequent software update to correct this; however, there is no current ETA."

"Case closed."

Wot?!!

Thechaz05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t have the Twitter. You are welcome to send them the response I got though. I am still trying to get a hold of my service advisor.

RAGEOUS II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Sport
I'm fortunate. 2018 with the 8.4 and it sounds good for a factory system.

How can i look up software version to see if mine is updated. I bought the truck used around Oct 1 2018. On the test drive it was dinging about an ota update. I bought the truck and let it update while i went to other stores. I didn't notice any difference then.

I think there are 2 manufacturers of the 8.4 radio. Is one more susceptible than the other? How can i find out which of the models mine is.

Single cab trucks are made in Mexico with the hd models i think. Are any other guys with a single cab truck effected. What about hd models? Did they get the same update?

Wondering if it can be narrowed down to a specific reason since it seems some didn't get destroyed after the update.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm fortunate. 2018 with the 8.4 and it sounds good for a factory system.

How can i look up software version to see if mine is updated. I bought the truck used around Oct 1 2018. On the test drive it was dinging about an ota update. I bought the truck and let it update while i went to other stores. I didn't notice any difference then.

To see the software version you need to enter the dealer service menu.

To enter the dealer service menu you put the key in the accessory position, truck is not running, and simultaneously hold down the driver temperature control UP and DOWN buttons as well as holding down the Front Defrost button.

Then you tap on System Information > Radio Part Information

Scroll down to see everything.

If you see Application Version 21.9, you're screwed.

Software Update ID.jpg

I think there are 2 manufacturers of the 8.4 radio. Is one more susceptible than the other? How can i find out which of the models mine is.

I've only heard that the affected 8.4 radio was a Panasonic make. I'm not sure there are two different brand radios.

RAGEOUS II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Sport
It looks like i got the update but my radio is ok. Probably one of the best stock radios I've had. Had alot of Chevy and one previous ram regular cab tradesman with cheapest radio.

20190308_154752.jpg

20190308_154803.jpg

RAGEOUS II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Sport
This is how I've left the settings in the eq since I've gotten it. I listen to the radio on volume 20.

20190308_162714.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You didn't get to enjoy how it is supposed to sound before it was destroyed...trust me

That's something I never thought of....they probably dont care about fixing it anymore because newer owners (sadly) dont know any better!

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I just posted all over Twitter again with the conflicting messages received from Ram customer "care", or lack thereof. I also replied to my email from Ram explaining how the fix was coded but "they are afraid of crashing the cell phone towers" ;).
I got an auto-reply saying that my case had been closed. Guess I'll be opening a new case every day!

Thechaz05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just posted all over Twitter again with the conflicting messages received from Ram customer "care", or lack thereof. I also replied to my email from Ram explaining how the fix was coded but "they are afraid of crashing the cell phone towers" ;).
I got an auto-reply saying that my case had been closed. Guess I'll be opening a new case every day!

I actually got a phone call from ram care Friday night. The guy wanted to make sure I got the email about it being a known issue. He confirmed there is no ETA.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357