UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
But how could you ever live without Yelp in your truck?

LOL, I don't think I could do without my WAZE for sure! I posted on the same Twitter post again as well as Faceboook. They are no longer answering my DMs, imagine that! Great way to treat your customers!

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Well I received the following email from FCA this morning. Truth, or lies? What’s sad is I am left wondering, when the update is released- what will it break??

I have no faith or confidence in Uconnect to be able to code and deploy a fix without breaking something.

What’s funny is, David is not even my name, lol!

IMG_1375.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why they should only allow download and manually loading of the updates.

No risk of "crashing cell phone towers" if you can only use a USB key.

Love when companies fix a problem that never existed. Hopefully you guys get an actual working fix. I'm still commenting on their stuff and I don't even have an affected truck :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zabbu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I received the following email from FCA this morning. Truth, or lies? What’s sad is I am left wondering, when the update is released- what will it break??

I have no faith or confidence in Uconnect to be able to code and deploy a fix without breaking something.

View attachment 157657

I think this is the most ridiculous excuse I’ve heard yet. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you going to post that to their twitter feed? And ask users to comment on the possibility of "crashing cell phone towers".

Maybe @ Verizon and AT&T just for shiggles :)

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Are you going to post that to their twitter feed? And ask users to comment on the possibility of "crashing cell phone towers".

Maybe @ Verizon and AT&T just for shiggles :)

Yes, the "crashing of cell phone towers" excuse is a doozie. So we are to believe that there are millions of vehicles that need this update and sending it over the air will bog down cell phone towers? How big is the file?

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, the "crashing of cell phone towers" excuse is a doozie. So we are to believe that there are millions of vehicles that need this update and sending it over the air will bog down cell phone towers? How big is the file?

500 TB each! Once installed we will have 8-track quality sound in our $50k trucks! We are so lucky.

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
To be fair, the response didn't say "this whole thing for 6 months was due to overwhelming the cellular network."

A phased-rollout of OTA updates is done by pretty much every service you can think of, so I wouldn't focus on this or "bash" them about saying so. The point seemed to me to be an aside, as if saying "by the way, be patient if you hear of other people getting updated, as we do a phased rollout." That part is perfectly normal.

Bash them all you want for pushing a broken and poorly tested update, for not communicating about it, and for taking over 6 months to fix it. But I would leave this phased-rollout alone, as it is perfectly normal procedure, and the person who responded seems to have added it to be helpful and not as an excuse for the overall situation.

If you bash everything someone says, they stop listening completely.

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As anybody checked to see if it is available online for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
To be fair, the response didn't say "this whole thing for 6 months was due to overwhelming the cellular network."

A phased-rollout of OTA updates is done by pretty much every service you can think of, so I wouldn't focus on this or "bash" them about saying so. The point seemed to me to be an aside, as if saying "by the way, be patient if you hear of other people getting updated, as we do a phased rollout." That part is perfectly normal.

Bash them all you want for pushing a broken and poorly tested update, for not communicating about it, and for taking over 6 months to fix it. But I would leave this phased-rollout alone, as it is perfectly normal procedure, and the person who responded seems to have added it to be helpful and not as an excuse for the overall situation.

If you bash everything someone says, they stop listening completely.

The bashing about the phased roll out is not about the idea of a phased roll out itself, the bashing is about this canard about "crashing the cell phone towers". At least that's what I'm bashing.

Consider cell phone updates, whether security patches or better yet, OS updates. These are done in phased rollouts too, and go out to literally MILLIONS of people. Android Pie is about 1.5 GB in size. So, how large can an UConnect software update be?

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The bashing about the phased roll out is not about the idea of a phased roll out itself, the bashing is about this canard about "crashing the cell phone towers". At least that's what I'm bashing.

Consider cell phone updates, whether security patches or better yet, OS updates. These are done in phased rollouts too, and go out to literally MILLIONS of people. Android Pie is about 1.5 GB in size. So, how large can an UConnect software update be?

You're right, and I don't disagree.

I agree that "crashing the cell phone towers" was a colloquial and oversimplified/hyperbolic thing that didn't need to be said, but it's just distracting from the actual issue. I work in IT, and junior (or hell, sometimes senior) people who aren't the best professional communicators say things like this all the time that have a tiny shred of relationship to the truth but aren't really true. I often have to cover for people who have said things like this.

Does AT&T prefer large vendors to push phased rollouts of software for performance reasons? Sure, that sounds likely. Will it "crash the cell phone towers"? Eh, no I guess? That sounds silly? I don't know? Does it matter?

Digging on a phrase that is odd or pointing it out to someone else doesn't get the actual problem solved any faster. We've complained that they didn't communicate, and now someone gets a pretty significant response and we're going to pick apart a phrase that they used? Everyone can feel free to do that if they wish, but I would focus on hammering them that they clearly didn't test their software and that this still isn't fixed after 6 months.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Seems to me if there was really an update available you would make it available to download online. It is not. I call Bull S***.

I check everyday and always get the same response.
YOUR VEHICLE IS UP TO DATE

View attachment 157657

zerokoo149

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to me if there was really an update available you would make it available to download online. It is not. I call Bull S***.

I check everyday and always get the same response.
YOUR VEHICLE IS UP TO DATE

When the last update came, out I saw everyone's complaints on the forum, so I checked the uconnect website to see if my truck also had an update. The website said there was no update available for my 18 Big Horn, but then a few days later I received the update anyway.

It may be part of their phased rollout system.

Thechaz05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my 18 harvest edition back from the dealer who updated my sw to fix a whole host of problems I have had since I bought it. I immediately noticed the stereo sounded like garbage. I have been looking through this thread to see I am not alone.