UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Not sure why Uconnect and FCA need to be so cagey about these updates. Just put them on the Uconnect site for anyone to download. It is not like they will work on other brands, the files are encrypted so competitors can't disassemble them to learn their "secrets" and just put a disclaimer on the download site that says "use these at your own risk". Seems like they would gain more goodwill from their customers than the current setup.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure why Uconnect and FCA need to be so cagey about these updates. Just put them on the Uconnect site for anyone to download. It is not like they will work on other brands, the files are encrypted so competitors can't disassemble them to learn their "secrets" and just put a disclaimer on the download site that says "use these at your own risk". Seems like they would gain more goodwill from their customers than the current setup.

I think some of it is paranoia from when a security company was able to hack into an FCA vehicle over the cell connection. A few years later we end up with the "firewall" between the radio and the rest of the truck.

But I think most of it is hubris and profits....they really believe the OTA system is stable and reliable and its far cheaper for stuff to just fly through the air into the truck than having a dealer take time to download and install because that would cost money.

Forget having a customer do it, they cant possibly know how to follow directions. In all honesty, there are probably plenty of owners who would mess it up. The minority (people on these forums) can do it no problem, but we are still the minority.

UConnect is a subsidiary of FCA but there is clearly a disconnect in the relationship. The lack of communication is astounding....dealers that just start replacing radios instead of troubleshooting (some even at the cost of the customer), radios that have no way of downgrading to earlier versions, etc. Its almost like its "just another something" that no one really concentrates on fixing or improving.

The whole OTA process is flawed, they should shut it all down and make updates only available via USB. If they are worried about security, dont even let me download the update, but DO make it freely available if you go to a dealer.

magnetmandan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
After the **** at the dealership wouldn't help me, i called Uconnect to see if they would help me. Of course the idea of putting a UAQ in a 2015 truck was pure blasphemy to them as well, so they wouldn't help me either, but the guy did mention everyone was supposed to get this updated OTA by November 4th.

Honestly i'm glad i got it Via a direct USB update then trust the OTA network.

On another note, the system voice volume is much more tolerable, it still defaults to volume level 15, but it's much more reasonable and not booming at me, however now it sounds like the voice is coming over AM radio lol, which i don't care i can still understand what it's saying it's just not as clear. I still turned the volume down to 5, so i'll see when i go on lunch if it resets to 15 or stays at 5.

I just had the same experience with the Nav voice this morning. Definitely more tolerable than before the update but it’s laughable how the Uconnect software engineers can’t get it right.

Rudey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I was able to update a uas from a 2019 ram classic with a 18 file but the radio manufacturer date was dec 18.so do not know if it's because it's from Canada or the manufacturer date or a combo.
Did you update OTA or USB? If USB do you happen to have the file still?

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
http://www.mediafire.com/file/38demsl2m94i4xy/UCONNECT_8.4_UAQ_IR22.6_MY18.zip/file

Here it is. Download it to your hard drive then unzip it to a blank USB drive and follow the instructions in the TSB.

Note: when I got to step 14, I turned the key from Ign to Acc instead of off like it says in the TSB. It worked and I could see the process. It took about 20 minutes like it said. I did put a trickle charger on it just to be safe. If you don't want to sit in your truck the full 20 minutes, exit during the two minute count down in step 14.

Hope it works for you all. It's has been a long wait.

How many here have used this posted file? While I appreciate the file being posted, no offense, but I am just a little wary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I noticed that the zip file does not have the map_package. Is does someone havethe map_package file from one of the later versions. the links are broken for some of the other UAQ zip files.

Also, I am running the update and shutting the truck off before the 2min counter is up. However mine is not updating? Ideas on that one?

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So to start is it ignition on only or truck running? During the 2 min count down just shut it off and get out and let it run. I'm out in an hour and I'm going to do do the update. What to make sure I dont trash something

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
thank you so much!!! Downloading now!
Worked for me, I was able to turn my bass back up to +2 from the -6 it was on. It sounds so much better now I'll report back about the voice volume levels after my drive to work tomorrow. Thanks again mjockey!
Your welcome, glad it worked.

I wonder if it will work on my sister in-laws 2019 Mini van?
Gracias! Updated mine, took about 20 mins.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Is the nav function still working on your UAQ's after the v22.6 update?

I always have left the truck in the "run" position but without the engine running during updates in the past. Just make sure your battery isn't in danger of dying on ya. See the tsb for directions.

M² Mods.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I always have left the truck in the "run" position but without the engine running during updates in the past. Just make sure your battery isn't in danger of dying on ya. See the tsb for directions.

M² Mods.
Sounds good. That 2 minutes window it gets shut off then you can just get out and let it do its thing?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I honestly don't know. I'm paranoid and sit in my truck until it's done and I don't touch anything or open any doors etc that may cause any extra communication on the trucks CANbus that may impact the flash.

M² Mods.

appzattak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

M² Mods.
Nav is working for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I honestly don't know. I'm paranoid and sit in my truck until it's done and I don't touch anything or open any doors etc that may cause any extra communication on the trucks CANbus that may impact the flash.

M² Mods.
Hahahahaha sounds like me I thought it was just me the whole time

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I downloaded it and theres no zip file just tons of files do I just transfer them to the drive?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Ok so I downloaded it and theres no zip file just tons of files do I just transfer them to the drive?

Read the TSB for directions. YOu should have a Fat32 formatted USB Stick and extract the zip directly to it. When done you should have only 1 folder on the usb stick named: "VP4R_Update" that has all the needed files in it. if you opened that folder and moved all the files to the thumbdrive you did something wrong.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I guess my computer just unzipped it itself after downloading so I transferred everything over. Sounded so much better there is no words! I turned all 3 amps back up made some quick adjustments back and I am able to put the 2500 watts back to use. I cant believe this is what I lost for so long it is absolutely amazing again! Thank god :drunk:

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Nav is working for me.

I initially followed the instructions. Shut off truck per #14 and left. Came back an hour later turned truck to accessory, then noticed the radio on and that first screen about the update was still there and the 2 minute deal. I left the truck on accessory and let it do it’s thing. It was now updating and I could see that on the radio. Seemed like it took longer than 20 minutes and when I came back the radio had completed the update matching the update per instructions. Shut truck off, started it up checked navigation and it seems to be just fine.

Last edited:

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It seems the voice volume does not stay where you set it, after turning the truck off and back on the Uconnect voice volume goes back to 15, which isn't the end of the world now that it's been turned down significantly.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I noticed that the zip file does not have the map_package. Is does someone havethe map_package file from one of the later versions. the links are broken for some of the other UAQ zip files.

Also, I am running the update and shutting the truck off before the 2min counter is up. However mine is not updating? Ideas on that one?

There was no map update. I was kinda disappointed in that myself.

I moved mine from Run ( IGN) to Acc and stayed in the truck but didn’t touch anything.

Did you get your to work?

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope. When mine reboots to install it starts ar 90% and 38mjn. As soon as it hits 36min and 95% it goes to a white screen and reboots. I am on version 18 of the software. Im wondering if I need to go up a version first. However those versions have been removed from the 1st page.