UConnect Software Update Received--What's in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
FYI for those that ran the UAS 22.6 update & notice any glitches...
It may be worthwhile after it finishes the update to do a power reset by either disconnecting the battery or pulling the inline radio fuse (20A) near the brake booster.
One of the early 13-17 Ra4 updates had a bad camera image until the reset was done afterwards.

M² Mods.

Tried it and it didn't make a difference. Still stuck with no functioning voice search for playing song titles. I'll try another USB stick.

Thechaz05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since I was so angry about my multiple day experience with my sw update on my UAQ along with the many electrical problems I have had since day one that the dealer keeps blaming on sw and won’t actually try to fix, I emailed Chrysler CEO and was contacted this morning by his assistant who took my VIN info and will contact me next week. We shall see if anything actually comes of it. Hopefully at the very least it will get them to actually work on a sw fix for those of us with the UAQ.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Tried it and it didn't make a difference. Still stuck with no functioning voice search for playing song titles. I'll try another USB stick.
Put another USB stick in there and voice search commands work as normal! Put the original USB stick that wasn't working previously with voice search and now that one is working normally as well!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Zabbu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I was so angry about my multiple day experience with my sw update on my UAQ along with the many electrical problems I have had since day one that the dealer keeps blaming on sw and won’t actually try to fix, I emailed Chrysler CEO and was contacted this morning by his assistant who took my VIN info and will contact me next week. We shall see if anything actually comes of it. Hopefully at the very least it will get them to actually work on a sw fix for those of us with the UAQ.

Hopefully this turns into something. I haven’t had a single lemon law attorney give me the time of day yet. :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
@Mpgrimm2 ...Mike, I sincerely thank you for your efforts. Once again, you've helped us all out tremendously. My radio sounds so much better; it's almost as good as the base 3.0 radio that came in my old truck, lol.

Success!

20190504_212038.jpg

20190504_213915.jpg

20190504_214441.jpg

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was out playing around with the radio (parked with key on) and noticed that the voice command still screams at me. I can hit the VR button to call someone, change radio station, etc and the volume will be at 15. I'll turn it down real quick within the short window it gives me.
As soon as I hit the button again, it's back to level 15. I tried this several times and it always goes right back to level 15. Isn't this one of the things the update is supposed to fix? Surely this isn't right...

I'm disconnecting battery cables right now to see if that makes any difference.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was out playing around with the radio (parked with key on) and noticed that the voice command still screams at me. I can hit the VR button to call someone, change radio station, etc and the volume will be at 15. I'll turn it down real quick within the short window it gives me.
As soon as I hit the button again, it's back to level 15. I tried this several times and it always goes right back to level 15. Isn't this one of the things the update is supposed to fix? Surely this isn't right...

I'm disconnecting battery cables right now to see if that makes any difference.
That's one of the first things I checked and my volume stays consistent now. It's odd that we're getting mixed results with the same file

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there still a soft reboot process for the head units? I think the older ones you had to press and hold in a certain spot of the screen while holding another button.

Maybe a soft reboot is what it really needs after the update is installed.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That's one of the first things I checked and my volume stays consistent now. It's odd that we're getting mixed results with the same file

It is weird.
After disconnecting cables, when I first powered up and it was still on the blue uconnect theme, the voice prompt was still showing at level 15, but it was a LOT quieter for some reason. But the phone button wasn't working. These units are slow to come up after reset, so I figure the radio wasn't fully "rebooted" so I turned key off, opened door and let it time out. When powered up again, the theme I originally had it on was loaded and the voice prompt was screaming at me again. Not sure what to do...honestly I could deal with the crappy audio better than I could the loud voice prompts. I guess on the positive side, at least the audio is better.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Update:
1. I've got my Rockville 8" powered sub adjusted and dialed in for bass gain, bass boost, subsonic filter, etc. and it's sounding very nice. My tone control settings are now at:
Bass 0
Mid +1
Treble +2

System sounds at least as good as it did last September before the horrid OTA update that wreaked havoc with the stereo.

2. The voice search for playing songs is working about 75% of the time. Not sure why it's not better but maybe the system needs to learn my voice.

3. It sounds like the system has a different voice than before the software fix of Friday. It's a female voice, not as sultry as my previous female voice, with just a hint of robotic.

4. I tried the navigation using Android Auto and I'm happy to report the volume control can be set at a lower level and the system will remember it. No more blaring navigation voice shouting directions at me. However, the actual voice for turn-by-turn directions seems to be the Uconnect female voice and not the male voice I have set for Google Assistant on my phone. I seem to remember before Friday's software patch the navigation voice was the male voice I have set for Google Assistant. I will check into this further. (What? Do YOU want a woman telling you where to go?! LOL.)

5. I made a call to my phone when using bluetooth and also when using Android Auto and I can happily report the shouting voice is gone here, too.

So, it appears I've been made whole. Eight months later.

I would like to thank @RamCares for reaching out to me in the past week and elevating my case with UConnect and FCA. @RamCares must have seen my tweets and/or read my posts in this thread and became aware my dealer told me the software patch in TSB 08-016-19 REV C did not apply to my vehicle. RamCares asked me via Twitter direct message for my VIN#, contacted FCA, learned that my truck was indeed covered, and urged me to make an appointment with my dealer to get it applied. Thank you @RamCares for reaching out to me. Also, I'd like to thank Brittny at UConnectCares for phoning me and discussing my case with me. These two made it happen for me.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only 1 issue so far, got in the truck bluetooth linked up and played for about 2 seconds and the radio froze. Had to shut truck off and wait a minute for it to go blank and power down. Started backup and its fine. Everything sounds great, voice prompts are nice low volume, everything seems to be working as it should. I did have to reprogram radio stations, no big deal

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I hope I didn't screw up by prematurely upgrading the software on my truck. So far mine seems to be the only one that still has loud voice prompts.
I'm glad everybody else seems to have their issues resolved.

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope I didn't screw up by prematurely upgrading the software on my truck. So far mine seems to be the only one that still has loud voice prompts.
I'm glad everybody else seems to have their issues resolved.

Did you pull power at the battery for 10-15 min yet?
Also test this. Text via bluetooth VS text via carplay/android auto. My car play worked before update but my bluetooth was loud.

I'll test testing via bluetooth today.

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Nav love yet? :(

Anyone want to swap units lol. I use Android Auto and Waze anyway, don't know why they even make Nav units anymore.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Did you pull power at the battery for 10-15 min yet?
Also test this. Text via bluetooth VS text via carplay/android auto. My car play worked before update but my bluetooth was loud.

I'll test testing via bluetooth today.

I did pull power, as described in a previous post, and it started off a lot quieter, but the radio wasn't fully reset yet...(phone button wouldn't work, still on the blue Uconnect theme). After I powered it off and let it time out, it was back to the loud responses again, volume level 15 every time. In Android auto, I held down the VR button for Google assistant in order to get nav directions, and the voice is just as loud. The only time that the volume level stayed the same was when waze was telling me nav directions on when to turn, etc. And even then it didn't stay the same every time... Sometimes it still blared at me...

I really don't understand...I'm going to try a battery disconnect one more time, just because I'm a little insane.

But I dropped my truck off today for an oil leak (only 1850 miles), so I'm not sure when I'll get it back to be able to fool with again.

I'm ranting a little here, but sometimes I'd rather still have my 04.5 2500 with it's high-tech non-touchscreen FM radio.

Anybody know if it's possible to downgrade to the previous version, where I could then go through FCA for the update? Maybe it's an issue with my radio itself, which they could replace if that's the case.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Taking my non-nav 8.4 in Thursday. Doing this and 2 recalls I'm behind on. Fingers crossed. I've learned to live with the crappy audio so getting back what it's supposed to have, I'll be jamming with a smile again.

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did pull power, as described in a previous post, and it started off a lot quieter, but the radio wasn't fully reset yet...(phone button wouldn't work, still on the blue Uconnect theme). After I powered it off and let it time out, it was back to the loud responses again, volume level 15 every time. In Android auto, I held down the VR button for Google assistant in order to get nav directions, and the voice is just as loud. The only time that the volume level stayed the same was when waze was telling me nav directions on when to turn, etc. And even then it didn't stay the same every time... Sometimes it still blared at me...

I really don't understand...I'm going to try a battery disconnect one more time, just because I'm a little insane.

But I dropped my truck off today for an oil leak (only 1850 miles), so I'm not sure when I'll get it back to be able to fool with again.

I'm ranting a little here, but sometimes I'd rather still have my 04.5 2500 with it's high-tech non-touchscreen FM radio.

Anybody know if it's possible to downgrade to the previous version, where I could then go through FCA for the update? Maybe it's an issue with my radio itself, which they could replace if that's the case.

Grimm may know for sure? @Mpgrimm2
But he has the older firmware posted in his Head unit thread
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/info-2013-2018-8-4an-fw-notes-ra4-vp4-na-uax.73871/#post-1125879

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Your unit will immediately throw it out if you try to "downgrade". If the version you are trying to install isn't newer than what you have, it will not work.

Gotcha, I guess I'm not surprised at that. I'm sure they limit that due to security purposes. Just can't figure out why my voice prompt volumes won't stay "set". I hate getting screamed at every time I hit the VR button. It's even worse if I hit the phone button, since it has a higher tone which makes it seem louder.
If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears. Sorry to keep rambling on, it's just really frustrating.

Cstan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotcha, I guess I'm not surprised at that. I'm sure they limit that due to security purposes. Just can't figure out why my voice prompt volumes won't stay "set". I hate getting screamed at every time I hit the VR button. It's even worse if I hit the phone button, since it has a higher tone which makes it seem louder.
If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears. Sorry to keep rambling on, it's just really frustrating.
I just went out in the driveway and messed with the VR button and noticed that everytime it spoke the volume resets back to 15. It's weird that the other day it stayed where I set it. I'm not going to knock it though, because before it literally would blast my ears out. I really don't use all the "hi tech" features on it anyway and I'm just tickled to death that I can actually enjoy the audio quality again

Last edited: