Uconnect T-Mobile WiFi Adapter Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Comer17BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’m at my wits end with Uconnect and the 4G Tmobile adapter they sent me. Every single month, I have to reset the dongle because it won’t “wake up” when I start my truck. I’ve had multiple trouble tickets opened because the device, even though is broadcasting wifi amd I’m in excellent Tmobile 4G coverage, I can’t connect to the internet. Every time I’m told by the “technical engineers” to “unplug the device for 48 hours”, which to this point has not resolved my issues with the device.
Most recently, the device did not go to sleep when I shut my truck off, killed my battery. Their response…yep, unplug for 48 hours. And, by the way, I have yet to be recouped for the time my device has been unplugged (I’m paying for the $29.99/month Unlimited plan).
Two weeks ago, I finally talked to someone at Uconnect that said he was a supervisor about getting a replacement device, because obviously mine is defective. He said I’d receive a call back within 72 hours - that was 2 weeks ago…silence.
Today, I found my automatic subscription did not renew, which is also not the first time that’s happened, and I had no idea. Whwn I called to tell them about this, as well as still receiving no internet service…”unplug the device for 48 hours” was the response. The Customer care person said I’d receive a call back within the hour to discuss my issues, that was over 3 hours ago, silence.
Sorry for the long post, but everyone out there in older Gen Ram Land needs to know about this total disregard for customer satisfaction from the Uconnect group (especially since after the first of the year all our 3G units will be obsolete, with our only lifeline being this POS 4G adapter!). The service being provided is not as described, and my next recourse is to notify the BBB with a lawyer for breach of contract (so I don’t get stuck with an early termination charge).
Does anyone out there have any contact info for Uconnect other than the generic call line? Is someone from FCA monitoring the issue? I love RAM, but if this is what I’ve got to deal with on a routine basis, maybe RAM (or FCA) is not for me.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Uconnect i thought, only works with Apple & Android devices & not all of them connect either

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does anyone out there have any contact info for Uconnect other than the generic call line? Is someone from FCA monitoring the issue? I love RAM, but if this is what I’ve got to deal with on a routine basis, maybe RAM (or FCA) is not for me.
Let's see if @RamCares will chime in, they're a representative for FCA
Uconnect i thought, only works with Apple & Android devices & not all of them connect either
Last time I checked WiFi wasn't specific to Android or Apple products. The OP didn't mention anything about AndroidAuto or CarPlay which have nothing to do with the 4G dongle anyways.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I never tried to use a dongle

But i have used https://www.autonetmobile.com/
I thought it was better than the Uconnect Subscription

I still have that unit & i think i can start using it again & i probably will if i connect up my Mobile Fax machine/printer again

Darn, it looks like they went 5G & they too use a Dongle now

mine looks like this

9283063_ra.jpg

Last edited:

jstevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
So, I'm new the the forum, and new to Uconnect. That said I'm an "IT Professional" and am familiar with more than just "Uconnect"

the Uconnect (T-Mobile) adapter is simply a internet connection that re-broadcasts a WIFI signal so that you can connect to it. this is the same as any of the MIFI adapters or other mobile hotspots. Doesn't matter the "client" you are using. Could be a Wifi Tablet, Could be a Phone, could be a laptop.

I Totally feel your pain BTW. I just had to do the 15-second reset button thing to reboot my adapter. it keeps going to sleep and won't power on. (Sound familiar??)

Hopefully whatever they are doing, they can figure out how to let these things go to sleep and still wake back up without us having to reboot the things.

BTW, not sure if I ever set up a signature on here, my truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel.

burtlynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone else had trouble with their truck starting with the adaptor plugged in?
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie with push button start.
Three times now my truck wouldn't start, including this morning and had to take my wife's car to work.
When I step on the brake and push the start button it just clicks, like the battery is dead.(Just replaced the battery a month ago) But all my lights and dash are bright and it doesn't work trying to jump with another vehicle.
This happened while on vacation and was able to get it to a Dodge dealer.
They saw the T-Mobile adaptor and unplugged it. They got my truck started and no problems since.
I plugged the adaptor back in a week ago to give it a second try. Last night when I left work my truck wouldn't start again. I played with it for a while and finally got it started. This morning it wouldn't start again. Unplugged the adaptor and still wouldn't start.
I didn't have time to mess with it this morning so now I have to do it when I get home.
I hope I can figure this out. It is nice having the 4G, especially with younger kids on trips.
For now I'm researching...

charcoal1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think this whole 4g adapter is a freaking joke. We have know 3g was a dying technology for years, but Ram continued putting these crappy Uconnect systems on a 3g network in vehicles. Cutting corners on something that controls some many things in the truck and selling features that now do not work as originally sold.

sorry for the rant, not constructive just really frustrated that I know have a giant dongle that I pulled out once installed and ordered an obd extension cable to move it.

mgood777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone else had trouble with their truck starting with the adaptor plugged in?
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie with push button start.
Three times now my truck wouldn't start, including this morning and had to take my wife's car to work.
When I step on the brake and push the start button it just clicks, like the battery is dead.(Just replaced the battery a month ago) But all my lights and dash are bright and it doesn't work trying to jump with another vehicle.
This happened while on vacation and was able to get it to a Dodge dealer.
They saw the T-Mobile adaptor and unplugged it. They got my truck started and no problems since.
I plugged the adaptor back in a week ago to give it a second try. Last night when I left work my truck wouldn't start again. I played with it for a while and finally got it started. This morning it wouldn't start again. Unplugged the adaptor and still wouldn't start.
I didn't have time to mess with it this morning so now I have to do it when I get home.
I hope I can figure this out. It is nice having the 4G, especially with younger kids on trips.
For now I'm researching...
Did you make any progress to discover a cause/solution for this starting problem? I just recently got the adapter, and within 2 weeks I experienced the problem you described (no start with a click). I have a 2015 3500 diesel. After it happened, I discovered that my 2 batteries were low. (This was a few days ago.) I charged them and everything was fine, but the batteries are 4 years old so I have decided to just go ahead and replace them anyway. But I am wondering whether the adapter is perhaps too much of a draw on the batteries even when the truck is off. It might just be coincidental that I had a problem with my 4 year old batteries right after I installed the adapter, or maybe not. Not sure I am solving the problem with new batteries. I guess time will tell. If these brand new batteries again get drawn down, I am definitely going to blame the adapter. PS... I asked my local dealer about this. They knew nothing and could be no help. They haven't even seen one of the adapters yet.

burtlynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently it was a coincidence...
It ended up being my starter.
The first dealer I took it to said it was the battery. I think they didn't look very hard.
The second dealer found the problem right away by tapping on the starter and it started right up.
No problem since and the adapter is working great!

burtlynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The adapter is "supposed" to shut off 10 minutes after you turn the vehicle off to save your battery.
I haven't had any trouble yet with my battery.

mgood777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Apparently it was a coincidence...
It ended up being my starter.
The first dealer I took it to said it was the battery. I think they didn't look very hard.
The second dealer found the problem right away by tapping on the starter and it started right up.
No problem since and the adapter is working great!
OK thanks. I will hope that my issue is coincidence with the 4-year old batteries going bad. Good luck!

rparker762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7l
I’m at my wits end with Uconnect and the 4G Tmobile adapter they sent me. Every single month, I have to reset the dongle because it won’t “wake up” when I start my truck. I’ve had multiple trouble tickets opened because the device, even though is broadcasting wifi amd I’m in excellent Tmobile 4G coverage, I can’t connect to the internet. Every time I’m told by the “technical engineers” to “unplug the device for 48 hours”, which to this point has not resolved my issues with the device.
Most recently, the device did not go to sleep when I shut my truck off, killed my battery. Their response…yep, unplug for 48 hours. And, by the way, I have yet to be recouped for the time my device has been unplugged (I’m paying for the $29.99/month Unlimited plan).
Two weeks ago, I finally talked to someone at Uconnect that said he was a supervisor about getting a replacement device, because obviously mine is defective. He said I’d receive a call back within 72 hours - that was 2 weeks ago…silence.
Today, I found my automatic subscription did not renew, which is also not the first time that’s happened, and I had no idea. Whwn I called to tell them about this, as well as still receiving no internet service…”unplug the device for 48 hours” was the response. The Customer care person said I’d receive a call back within the hour to discuss my issues, that was over 3 hours ago, silence.
Sorry for the long post, but everyone out there in older Gen Ram Land needs to know about this total disregard for customer satisfaction from the Uconnect group (especially since after the first of the year all our 3G units will be obsolete, with our only lifeline being this POS 4G adapter!). The service being provided is not as described, and my next recourse is to notify the BBB with a lawyer for breach of contract (so I don’t get stuck with an early termination charge).
I have the EXACT same issue. I have to reset the stereo though to get it to work and then once the truck is turned off, it doesn't work anymore. I am about to cancel my subscription. They are no help at all.

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
i wouldnt worry about it until jan 1
has anyone up gradee their radio head to get around this i was told that 18s sont need the new radio but 17 and earlier do
sigh im a 17

Maui Time

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Glad to read that I am not the only one with this issue. We bought the adapter for my wife's Charger. It has given us fits since day one. Have had to reset it dozens of times in hopes of getting it to work and when it does it is only briefly. Went through support and got the same 'unplug for 48 hours'. I did and it still didn't work. They told me they would call me back in 72 hours. A week later I finally got the call and they told me they would escalate it up the chain to see if it warranted a replacement. Wife and I decided that when they called back we would tell them where to put it and get us a refund. BTW, they did agree to extend my time by the number of months it has not worked. We aren't keeping it anyway.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think this whole 4g adapter is a freaking joke. We have know 3g was a dying technology for years, but Ram continued putting these crappy Uconnect systems on a 3g network in vehicles. Cutting corners on something that controls some many things in the truck and selling features that now do not work as originally sold.

sorry for the rant, not constructive just really frustrated that I know have a giant dongle that I pulled out once installed and ordered an obd extension cable to move it.
Yeah they put 3G in and Sprint besides. What a crap choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Comer17BH

Comer17BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just to give an update…
After many phone conversations with utterly rude and indignant customer support reps, I finally got Uconnect to agree to return my unit as defective, and send a replacement. I received the replacement today - IT IS THE EXACT SAME UNIT!! I am so done with Uconnect, I’m ready to switch to Nissan (yes, that’s where I am with this!).

OP
OP
Comer17BH

Comer17BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, I reached out to Ram Customer Care regarding my Uconnect issue, their poor customer support performance, and their nonexistent resolution to my problem. I was hoping to maybe gain some support from Ram and FCA. Ram CC’s response…continue to work with Uconnect ‍♂️ I’m officially done with Ram and FCA products, if this is the level of customer care they have.

Rivasjadiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Hi, I'm having the same problem, did you find any solution? I'm very disappointed

4x4Podcast_Rich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks like my issues is a little different. I'm on my third notice that my "TMobile 4g needs attention." I guess there is a software update and there is no way for the end-user to know this until they get one of these emails or letters.

Here are the steps to do the software update:
1. the 4g adapter must be plugged in for at least 24 hours.
2. turn the vehicle on (running)
3. depress the reset button for 5 seconds then release. The lights will flash then turn off and back on.
4. wait 5 minutes then turn the ignition off.
5 wait another 5 minutes then turn the ignition back on (running).

This is the part they don't tell you in the instructions. Leave the vehicle running so it can download the update. According to the Uconnect rep, this could take up to an hour and you have no idea if it's done. This is why he suggested leaving the truck running for an hour.

Here's my disclaimer. It's about 10 degrees outside and I haven't done this yet. It really sucks because this is the exact weather and reason I have Uconnect. Now I'm stuck using the keyfob for the remote start.

mfifield01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I keep getting that email. I did the procedure, but I didn't leave the truck on for an hour. Did you need to have the engine running (not just on)?