Under hood cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really want to clean My engine compartment. My first thought is to pressure wash it. But I am somewhat afraid of damaging something. I should have painted the new engine before I put it in. However, at the time I really needed to get it in over a weekend, so painting it was not high on the priority list. (hindsight and all) But if someone could tell me the best way to clean under there, that would be great.

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck needs a long time engine cleaning also.

I was thinking of using something like Simple Green or some sort of de-greaser then giving it a light rinse with a pressure washer on low pressure.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ That is kind of what I was thinking of doing. Though probably just simple green and a long handled brush and then rinsing with a garden sprayer.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you use adams products youll keep your engine bay looking like this its all i use

100_7712.jpg

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How often do you clean it? Every time you wash your truck?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I used simple green in once and it looked good for a little bit but was dirty in a few days, i wouldnt use a pressure washer, just use the water hose and low water pressure... And put a plastic bag over your air filter if you have a cold air intake, but remember to take off the bag before you start the truck lol

[tapatalkin]

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, no pressure washer. And I don't have a CAI..... Yet. Do I need to cover anything else?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
This^^ if you have water trail from positive to negative you'll short out your battery. Just avoid spraying the battery all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
I take some aluminum foil and cover the fusebox, alternator and battery then spray simple green all over and let it sit for a few. I use a regular water hose to spray it down then take a rag to detail some of the tight spots. If its warm/hot under your hood the simple green seems to work better, you dont have to but let the engine run for a few min with the hood down before applying.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Aluminum on the battery? Hmmm. That's odd. Idk about that. Lol. I use plastic bags (ie grocery bags). To cover the alternator and a little bit of the battery.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Same question as above^^

Aluminum foil is a pretty good conductor. As is water. Not sure I'd want that covering my battery?

A capacitor I made out of aluminum foil and water. Lol.

fe5c8c35.jpg

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Ok, no pressure washer. And I don't have a CAI..... Yet. Do I need to cover anything else?

cover the coil packs, and any other electrical,ie fuse panel firewall, altenator......Then have at it. I pulled my hood blanket and wipe it all down once every spring, Stays clean for me. oh and wd-4o on anything else will protect it and bead right off. I use it all the time.

DrewRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI MDS
Just curious...why aluminum foil?

Only reason I have used tin foil is because it can be molded so it won't touch terminals or wires and on my truck the battery terminals are covered so i am not too worried but I do see how that would seem crazy lol

via DroidX (Tapatalk)