Underspraying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
Hello everyone. For those that live in bad weather places - snow and ice in particular, do you good people get your trucks under sprayed? If so why? Just curious to see what people think

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Several people in here get their vehicle sprayed by a company called KROWN

they have it sprayed about this time of year
Then they complain about the overspray dripping off the vehicle

Then they have the vehicle sprayed again the following year

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I prefer WAXOYL but I have not gotten my new to me 19 done yet if we get sloppy weather before I can get it in for that this year it will get the Krown oil treatment for this winter.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently use Corrosion Free on my Ram. I've heard that Fluid Film & Waxoyl are also good options. Krown and Rust Check are also good options but tend to drip a bit more.

Elvira

Reaction score
I get my Ram sprayed yearly, after the 3rd year I did every second year. I use Rust check, it is a great product. Where i live, Rust Check has been the best for me. The secret though is the application, so relying on a good tech to spray on is most important. Anytime i would need to remove or work on the underneath, everything breaks loose easily and the rust is non existent. I do a heavier coating underneath as opposed to what they use inside panels...creates a noise dampening as well. The price of the package i get includes a 6 month touch up too...so i get the Platinum package done in the spring to allow the warm weather to let it spread and the free touch up in the fall, just before winter. My truck looks new through out. I don't mind the dripping, lasts approx a week and then after first wash...good to go.

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello everyone. For those that live in bad weather places - snow and ice in particular, do you good people get your trucks under sprayed? If so why? Just curious to see what people think

I had the dealer do it. not sure what the cost was.
In Toronto(Canada) area. Me off-roading every weekend is likely worse than salt/sand though :)

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I had mine done a week ago with something called Rust kote which may be local but it was a 2 part application. its not the super thick greasey stuff new nephew gets his cummins ram sprayed with from what I can tell thus far they did a good job spraying in a lot of nooks and crannies... I used a product called "Totalboat rust primer" I bought from amazon first to spray all the rust spots I could underneath and it chemically turned them into a black oxide layer which should slow things down further.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I had my 15 sprayed with NHOU this past weekend. I would guess that any of the options are better than none. The NHOU vendor is close to me. Also looks nice.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always. I do it myself and have used Fluid Film in the past, recently switched to a product called Protection First Class. It's thinner and easier to deal with in cool weather and flows in pretty nice. Also doesn't smell as bad as Fluid Film.

Anyone who complains about a rust proofing dripping is a putz.

Remember, a thick heavy coating that you can see does less than a carefully applied coating that you can't see inside the crevices. Above rear wheels, inside doors, inside rockers (inner and outer!). Brake line connections and attachment points too...

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
the dealer did mine before i got the truck.it's covered till my extended warranty runs out as long as i have it inspected every 6 months but i have free oil changes so it gets done no matter.i have no idea what brand it is but Canadian winter will eat vehicles if not protected.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Krown. Yes it drips for about a week after it sprayed. Get it done in the summer and park outside. Once a year.

It works. They put salt and some other toxic waste formula on our roads in the winter that eats metal. Most used vehicles more than 5 years old here are rusty.

Our Jeep is a 2013 and still looks great underneath.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT

I've had it done a couple times. Last time they did a crappy/stingy job.
I now do it myself every year. I bought 5 gallons of woolwax last year that will last several years. It's a bit thicker so and the frame and underbody gets it. I prefer to use lighter fluids for doors and inner panels because it'll creep better and your not worried about washout there.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dabbed a bit of Fluid Film and Woolwax on a rusty piece of angle iron.

20211030_104111.jpg

FF seems to creep slightly better but WW definitely does creep very well. The arrow shows where WW creeps to after 3 weeks. FF is on the left and it's creeper up slightly further. Think I'm going with WW going forward because it resists washaway better than FF.

themactep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Had mine done with some protective spraying at the dealership when purchased. Then at five years mark, and every year after that. I believe they use Woolwax. Still get some rust. Maybe because of the weather we have here at the Great Lakes, and the amount of salt they pour on the roads here.

Last edited:

Carlo Santin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm in Canada. Toronto area. I bought my 2020 Ram last year and had the dealer do rust-proofing and an undercoat. One-time applications for both with a lifetime warranty. I negotiated it to 1k and it was done by the dealer prior to delivery. It's well worth it if you live in winter environments. We use a lot of salt and brine on the roads up here and it ruins vehicles pretty quickly if they are not protected.

Ddenton369

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
I just did mine myself with fluid film and wool wax. Keeps the rust from rearing its ugly head. You’d be surprised at how fast your undercarriage rusts after just 1 winter.
I never heard of this type of treatment or the components you mentioned. Can you provide any more details ?

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I never heard of this type of treatment or the components you mentioned. Can you provide any more details ?
Go to post #14 for the "How to Fluid Film your truck". I would also suggest the Project Farm video on Best undercoating. Google it.