Underspraying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Had my new RAM Rust Checked by the same place I have used for years. The dripping is annoying but I park it on a grassy lot beside the house so it doesn't get on the driveway or in the garage. Does no harm to the grass. The spray coating definitely keeps the undercarriage etc in much better shape than those that are not coated. Was $310 for first application and about $100 a year thereafter. They actually guarantee no rust through if you have it done every year.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
I just recently went with Krown.
They spray pretty much everything under the truck. They drill a couple of holes to access the inside of the rocker panels and then cap them off. Sprayed the entire engine bay, chassis, behind the taillights, inside the bumpers, inside the doors and tailgate.
It smells like diesel, everything smokes like crazy for a few minutes when you start it (Exhaust system burns it off), Brakes were squishy for a little bit. It does drip for a week. (I park outside so I didn't care)

Total Cost $165 USD plus a cash tip.
Took them about an hour and saved me from having to do it myself. But now that I see how it was done I may do it myself next year...
.. Or just be lazy and pay these guys to do it again. As long as they are hitting all the key points I'm not worried about it.
In the summer I'm going to take a peak inside everything and see how it held up and how well they coated everything.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
They actually guarantee no rust through if you have it done every year.
Krown had this same guarantee but only if you had it done within the year of manufacturing and got it done every year after that.

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use NHOU and do it myself. I prefer the black version over the clear. Does not drip at all.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
We have limited amounts of snow in central Missouri, however where I live we get ice storms. I have never gotten any rust and they do spray the roads with ice repellant and coal duct left overs from the power plants. I do not park in a garage, so I don't have the freezing water melt and start rust.

However if I lived in the Northern border states I would think spraying would be a requirement. I did live in the lower part of Wisconsin for a year and I never heard about spraying. Good luck..

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I bought this product for inside doors and panels. It's also lanolin based like FF and woolwax. But thinner than both and probably best at creeping.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
We have limited amounts of snow in central Missouri, however where I live we get ice storms. I have never gotten any rust and they do spray the roads with ice repellant and coal duct left overs from the power plants. I do not park in a garage, so I don't have the freezing water melt and start rust.

However if I lived in the Northern border states I would think spraying would be a requirement. I did live in the lower part of Wisconsin for a year and I never heard about spraying. Good luck.
I have been told that limestone dust accelerates rust as well. Any salt or brine is bad, except for turkeys.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Spray for sure.
I bought a 95 Ram from the original owner, a guy lived on his farm. The truck had roughly 150000 km on it, was 16 years old, this is in Ontario, where they salt on top of the salt, and then coat that with liquid salt....
Took my truck in for a safety check, and the mechanic told me where he removed the oil spray / dust coating the bolts still had their zinc chromate shiny finish on them, and were in better shape then his 2 year old truck.
It was oil sprayed and driven down a dirt road, every year.
I have original paint, no rust, the truck is 21 years old. Picture is attached.

Attachments

• 900k-1034.jpg
    900k-1034.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 11

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I fluid filmed my 14 this year myself and it cost about the same as having it professionally done at Krown. After my experience this year I will continue to have mine Krowned as its cheaper, faster, less messy and they also have the ability to wash underneath the truck before they apply they rushed inhibitor.

My other truck an 11, which has been driven nationwide and spent over 4 years in the rust belt, shows no rust an continues to be rust free at the 10 year mark. It has been knowned every year since New.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
Spray for sure.
Took my truck in for a safety check, and the mechanic told me where he removed the oil spray / dust coating the bolts still had their zinc chromate shiny finish on them, and were in better shape then his 2 year old truck.
he truck is 21 years old. Picture is attached.

Wow! That's proof it's worth doing. I never understand people buying pricey trucks today, paying up to 70K plus and not protecting from rust.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I prefer WAXOYL but I have not gotten my new to me 19 done yet if we get sloppy weather before I can get it in for that this year it will get the Krown oil treatment for this winter.

You do the WaxOYL application yourself or paid to have it done. I looked up my nearest applicator business for it, and they want $1200 to $1800 depending on the size of the vehicle for the service. They can get bent for that amount of money they want.

Sharpie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Do my own I use HarborFreight rust reformer and undercoating drop a lube tire hoist yearly also seen many times owners having to cut them down when the hoist fails

Attachments

• 8AA536A8-1E1C-40CB-B873-113BC5B732F4.jpeg
    8AA536A8-1E1C-40CB-B873-113BC5B732F4.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 15

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
You do the WaxOYL application yourself or paid to have it done. I looked up my nearest applicator business for it, and they want $1200 to $1800 depending on the size of the vehicle for the service. They can get bent for that amount of money they want.
Amen to that. I don’t mind paying a fair price for services and goods, but that is steep!

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is 12 years old and in Ontario Canada. I had it Krownd every year since brand new for 10 years. It developed a hole in the front right quarter panel and the front bumper started rusting through. I called Krown for the warranty. They said the warranty is only valid if the application was done prior to I believe 6 months or a year of manufacturer date. Since the vehicles sit on the lot before you buy them and then how ever long it takes before you get the undercoating makes the warranty rather useless in most cases. Regardless Krown did not hold up at all. There is a youtube video by project farm I believe that tests all the popular undercoatings. They found Krown was one of the worst. Fluid film being I believe the best. I dont have a fluid film applicator where I live. But you can buy the film and applicator on Amazon. But I do not recommend Krown, it was a waste of money.

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
In my opinion, unless you live in a warm dry area away from salt air, road salt, etc., "under coating" your vehicle is worth it's weight in gold. Not only does it keep panels from rusting, but it keeps the electrical wires, connections, bolts and nuts - everything from corroding. Even if you don't live in an area where they use salt or a de-icing agent on roads, and you do any off roading at all, it will be a benefit. When you "play" in mud, it gets inside the panels between the inner and outer shiny painted side and continues to hold moisture unless everytime you go in mud, or on a wet dirt road, you spray everything out with a good stream of water. This means up inside the wheelwell and between the two panels on each boxside, opening the hood and spraying inside the fenders between the inner and outer panels, a little spray inside the doors through the door latch or the factory rubber plugs that cover the access holes for mirrors, etc., and in the tailgate latch on both sides.
Just for laughs, if you have never washed the mud out of your truck like this before, do it sometime and watch the crap that comes out of the fenders, boxsides, doors, etc.. Here in Atlantic Canada, they use tons of salt on the roads, and all this and/or the mud that accumulates just rots away at the metal. Even with the boxed frames now it lays inside frames and eats away, and we all know that the metal used today isn't what was used years ago. It is thinner now than ever, and in my opinion, not near the quality, and doesn't last long without proper care and maintenance. In this part of the continent, and anywhere with the same conditions we have, it is not uncommon at all to see a three or four year old vehicle - any make or model with rust holes starting over the front or rear wheels, bottom of doors, etc..
Any rust prevention application, such as Rust Check or Krown, will help your vehicle last a lot longer than without. Unless you are lucky enough to live a dry warm climate, or have a garage with a hoist that you can put your vehicle in the air and hose it out underneath quite frequently. On reply mentioned that some brands make a mess and drips for a long time. That is because usually they use two different products for their system: a heavier one for the underbody, frame, any exposed area prone to wash off from water on the roads, and u thin runny product for inside panels so it can "creep" into places that the thicker products can't get to.
So IMO, anything is absolutely better than nothing, and my only warning to anybody that is going to get it done - YOUR MECHANIC IS PROBABLY NOT GOING TO LIKE YOU ANYMORE-----THEY DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT IS VERY MESSY.

Elvira

Reaction score
I pay 235. plus tax for the platinum, just went up from 199. Even at the higher price it is well worth it. That also includes the free touch up 6 months later. Doing it this way, i get done in the spring and then a touch up just before winter. I have used Rust Check over the years on many vehicles, always well done and never an issue with any rust. I get the heavier black sprayed on the underneath, it is very good and doubles as a nice sound barrier as does the inner panel applications. Some hate the drip, they offer a dripless, but i find the regular product will creep which is nice.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
In my opinion, unless you live in a warm dry area away from salt air, road salt, etc., "under coating" your vehicle is worth it's weight in gold. Not only does it keep panels from rusting, but it keeps the electrical wires, connections, bolts and nuts - everything from corroding. Even if you don't live in an area where they use salt or a de-icing agent on roads, and you do any off roading at all, it will be a benefit. When you "play" in mud, it gets inside the panels between the inner and outer shiny painted side and continues to hold moisture unless everytime you go in mud, or on a wet dirt road, you spray everything out with a good stream of water. This means up inside the wheelwell and between the two panels on each boxside, opening the hood and spraying inside the fenders between the inner and outer panels, a little spray inside the doors through the door latch or the factory rubber plugs that cover the access holes for mirrors, etc., and in the tailgate latch on both sides.
Just for laughs, if you have never washed the mud out of your truck like this before, do it sometime and watch the crap that comes out of the fenders, boxsides, doors, etc.. Here in Atlantic Canada, they use tons of salt on the roads, and all this and/or the mud that accumulates just rots away at the metal. Even with the boxed frames now it lays inside frames and eats away, and we all know that the metal used today isn't what was used years ago. It is thinner now than ever, and in my opinion, not near the quality, and doesn't last long without proper care and maintenance. In this part of the continent, and anywhere with the same conditions we have, it is not uncommon at all to see a three or four year old vehicle - any make or model with rust holes starting over the front or rear wheels, bottom of doors, etc..
Any rust prevention application, such as Rust Check or Krown, will help your vehicle last a lot longer than without. Unless you are lucky enough to live a dry warm climate, or have a garage with a hoist that you can put your vehicle in the air and hose it out underneath quite frequently. On reply mentioned that some brands make a mess and drips for a long time. That is because usually they use two different products for their system: a heavier one for the underbody, frame, any exposed area prone to wash off from water on the roads, and u thin runny product for inside panels so it can "creep" into places that the thicker products can't get to.
So IMO, anything is absolutely better than nothing, and my only warning to anybody that is going to get it done - YOUR MECHANIC IS PROBABLY NOT GOING TO LIKE YOU ANYMORE-----THEY DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE IT IS VERY MESSY.
Yeah, mechanics have to live up to their nickname, “grease monkey”. Too bad, my $80k truck needs to last me a while. Mechanic can take a shower. A clean mechanic is no mechanic at all.I will just have to plan ahead for the mess when I work on it I guess......

dreinert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve done it every year myself with Fluid Film. I get it off Amazon and have the extension wand that sprays 360 and is good for get inside the rails, tubes, etc.

I pull the truck up on rhino rams, lay a 10’x20’ clear plastic disposable drop cloth down pull the truck up on the rams and go to town.

Takes me about 20-30min and the drop cloth makes cleanup simple. I don’t drill holes and spray in the truck body; it atomizes so well I’d feel like it come through to the interior somewhere. I did apply Graphene coating to the door sills and door frames.

This will be my 4th Wisconsin winter and only spots that has rust is the drive shaft connections and engine crank pulley.

Project Farm on YouTube has a decent video evaluating different inhibitors as well.