Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan Triplett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a junkyard PCM (2015+ gpec2a) and sent it to HP Tuners to get unlocked. Opened a support ticket to verify that my stock VIN and calibration were transferred to my spare unlocked PCM. Apparently they don't offer this, at least with their free unlocking service. Can I install my spare unlocked PCM and change the VIN with Alpha obd? I found a few threads saying its possible, just looking for a full procedure. Assuming I'll have to plug the PCM in, change vin, reset skim, then plug in the mpvi2 and load my stock calibration?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I bought a junkyard PCM (2015+ gpec2a) and sent it to HP Tuners to get unlocked. Opened a support ticket to verify that my stock VIN and calibration were transferred to my spare unlocked PCM. Apparently they don't offer this, at least with their free unlocking service. Can I install my spare unlocked PCM and change the VIN with Alpha obd? I found a few threads saying its possible, just looking for a full procedure. Assuming I'll have to plug the PCM in, change vin, reset skim, then plug in the mpvi2 and load my stock calibration?

Changing the VIN with alfa is only flashing it to the BCM. I don't think it will transfer to the PCM as intending.

OP
OP
Nathan Triplett

Nathan Triplett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alpha does have a VIN tab under the PCM, Haven't tried it though. Trucks currently my daily driver and I'm not trying to make a special trip to the dealership yet :confused:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Alpha does have a VIN tab under the PCM, Haven't tried it though. Trucks currently my daily driver and I'm not trying to make a special trip to the dealership yet :confused:

It does. It flashes the BCM, NOT PCM

Edit: AlfaObd indeed can write the vin to the vehicle.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid diablosport to change the vin on my pcm. I bought a used pcm and they unlocked it and updated the vin

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I paid diablosport to change the vin on my pcm. I bought a used pcm and they unlocked it and updated the vin

OP notated free service.
I did the same as Crazy. I bought my spare PCM through Diablo as well. Very happy with the purchase

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It does. It flashes the BCM, NOT PCM

Does Alfa OBD not actually have a way to write the VIN to the PCM? The PCM has a function called “Check PCM vin”. This takes the VIN stored in the BCM and writes it to the PCM. That’s how the factory scan tools works anyway.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Does Alfa OBD not actually have a way to write the VIN to the PCM? The PCM has a function called “Check PCM vin”. This takes the VIN stored in the BCM and writes it to the PCM. That’s how the factory scan tools works anyway.

Tach you're correct. :hail::hail:I went to their website to check for updates to my own app. Right at the end of 2019 the function was enabled to be able to write the VIN to the PCM.