Update on my True Tow Weigh Safe hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that I've had a chance to tow with this hitch a few times down the highway I figured I'd give an update.

The weight distribution part of the hitch is great. I always know what my tongue weight is and it's easy to adjust the weight distribution.

As far as the anti-sway aspect goes, it's good. I don't think it's as good as my old Equalizer. Maybe close to the same but not better however it still works. The bars do not sit flat on the L bracket. They are at a slight upward angle going from front to back. The L bracket install height measurements are dead on as per the instruction manual. I honestly don't remember if my Equalizer bars sat flat on the L bracket.

I'm not sure if the finish is painted or powder coated. It's a textured matte black finish. It comes off easy where it rubs metal to metal. For me that just means I need to clean and paint it once a year.

If your thinking about getting one I'm still happy with mine and would recommend it.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks for the honest feedback LR. Sounds like from your post, from a functionality standpoint, the equalizer is just as good as the weigh safe, without the scale. Is that a fair statement?

Glad it's working well for you so far and your getting out camping some.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, from an anti sway aspect that's a fair statement.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yep, from an anti sway aspect that's a fair statement.
Good deal. The scale aspect of the weigh safe is really cool though. I like that a lot.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good deal. The scale aspect of the weigh safe is really cool though. I like that a lot.
That's the main reason I bought it instead of a larger Equalizer. I honestly thought I was very close to or maybe even over the Equalizer's 1k tongue rating but I guess I wasn't. My usual tongue weight with this trailer is about 800lbs.

TerryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 turbo
We tow quite a bit heavier. 1700 to 2000 lbs on the tongue depending on how we load our Momentum 31G Toyhauler. 13,200 total with the SXS in the garage. Have the 20k/2k class 5 Weigh Safe. Love the thing. The bars on ours sit flat on the brackets. I think something is wrong if they do not. I'm also using the nylon pads that are actually meant for the Equalizer on the brackets. Not an exact fit but they work and really quiet the hitch. Love the phone app and being able to adjust the distributed mount on the fly with the adjustment bolt vs washers. These toyhaulers are notoriously hard to pull but we've had perfect results with the Weigh Safe.

Link to the pads: https://www.amazon.com/Distribution-Accessories-eliminate-Compatible-14k,Improve/dp/B08QRH6B38/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bracket+jacket&qid=1629937360&sr=8-3

Video review from my YouTube channel if anyone is interested:

51381367154_4e103c94d6_b.jpg

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to call Weigh Safe tomorrow about those bars. They say the L brackets need to be 9" from the top of the coupler and mine are.

I had those pads on my Equalizer, I didn't realize that they fit on this hitch too. I'm going to buy another set. I left the last ones on my old hitch when I sold it

Last edited:

TerryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 turbo
I'm going to call Weigh Safe tomorrow about those bars. They say the L brackets need to be 9" from the top of the coupler and mine are.

I had those pads on my Equalizer, I didn't realize that they fit on this hitch too. I'm going to buy another set. I left the last ones on my old hitch when I sold it

They don't fit exactly but still work fine.

51402000337_5a51d79bf1_b.jpg

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know the post us older, but i was curious how you and TerrH's hitches were holding up. I have a Hysky Centerline Ts, which does a decent job, but I am thinking the ease of adjustment on this hitch would be great for us toy hauler owners for the change in tongue weight when traveling without the toys.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Agree with Toddz, any update on this?

It seems to me that if your bars are not level on the bracket, that's why you're getting sway as instead of an inch of friction on the bar you only get an 1/8th or 1/4 etc due to the angle.

I've watched a shootout review on YT comparing this hitch and a bunch of others including propride and equilizer and this weigh safe was only sightly behind the propride all around, with excellent sway control. The propride eliminated sway, but this weigh safe was supposed to be next best for sway and actually controlled porposing better than the propride.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did call them and they said that's normal. But I'm going to check it out again the next time I hitch up which will be in April. I'm going to check my L brackets to. There are a few things I want to look at. I'm happy with the hitch's performance but if I can make it better by really dialing it in I'm going to try.

Last edited:

TerryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 turbo
I know the post us older, but i was curious how you and TerrH's hitches were holding up. I have a Hysky Centerline Ts, which does a decent job, but I am thinking the ease of adjustment on this hitch would be great for us toy hauler owners for the change in tongue weight when traveling without the toys.
I continue to be totally impressed with the Weigh Safe. I manage a Facebook group for the Momentum 29G and 31G toyhaulers. Lots of Weigh Safe hitches there performing well on trailers that have a rep for being hard to tow. Here's a vid from my channel on how I have it set up and how different loading affects the tongue weight.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does the Weigh Safe come in different sizes like the Husky Centerline (what I have now), where the bars are designed for different tongue weights? Or is the weigh safe a "one size fits all" and you just dial it in using the nut at the front?

I have a smaller dual axle trailer (24 feet) but tired of trying to get it dialed in 100% every time, these 5th gens appear to be susceptible to an improper setup and will cause porpoising and sway quicker than other suspension setups.

TerryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 turbo
Does the Weigh Safe come in different sizes like the Husky Centerline (what I have now), where the bars are designed for different tongue weights? Or is the weigh safe a "one size fits all" and you just dial it in using the nut at the front?

I have a smaller dual axle trailer (24 feet) but tired of trying to get it dialed in 100% every time, these 5th gens appear to be susceptible to an improper setup and will cause porpoising and sway quicker than other suspension setups.
2 sizes on the Weigh Safe. 2" shaft is 1500 tongue/15,000 tow. 2.5" shaft is 2000 tongue/20,000 tow.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
I did call them and they said that's normal. But I'm going to check it out again the next time I hitch up which will be in April. I'm going to check my L brackets to. There are a few things I want to look at. I'm happy with the hitch's performance but if I can make it better by really dialing it in I'm going to try.
Thanks for the review it does sound like you would better sway control if the bars were flat on the L brackets.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the review it does sound like you would better sway control if the bars were flat on the L brackets.
That's my goal. I'll take a closer look at it when it's warmer out.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
We tow quite a bit heavier. 1700 to 2000 lbs on the tongue depending on how we load our Momentum 31G Toyhauler. 13,200 total with the SXS in the garage. Have the 20k/2k class 5 Weigh Safe. Love the thing. The bars on ours sit flat on the brackets. I think something is wrong if they do not. I'm also using the nylon pads that are actually meant for the Equalizer on the brackets. Not an exact fit but they work and really quiet the hitch. Love the phone app and being able to adjust the distributed mount on the fly with the adjustment bolt vs washers. These toyhaulers are notoriously hard to pull but we've had perfect results with the Weigh Safe.

Link to the pads: https://www.amazon.com/Distribution-Accessories-eliminate-Compatible-14k,Improve/dp/B08QRH6B38/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bracket+jacket&qid=1629937360&sr=8-3

Video review from my YouTube channel if anyone is interested:

View attachment 468930
do you leave these pads on when not using the trailer. im worried about the sun.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Can't leave them on. They work on the Weigh Safe but do not fit the brackets tight enough not to be lost.
Im using them on a Equalizer hitch. just dont know if leaving them on in the sun will make them brittle.