Upgrade Alpine sub & speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just wanted to interrupt and say my sub is breaking in (broken in?) and it’s made a pleasant improvement. Hitting better lows now.
Shout out to net audio for making a harness for $80 that makes our systems plug and play and sound pretty damn good!
No issues with cutting out or anything like that.
Again, MRV-500 amp, jl 10w3v3 and cheapo Atrend sealed box. Pretty solid overall.

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
Thanks for everybody's help in this forum, it's really opened up my eyes to what is possible to do with this truck.

Has anyone here used the Kenwood XR600-6DSP? A friend of mine has it and says it's pretty awesome. It's also on sale here for $466 Canadian

I was concerned about losing my centre and headliners but if TomT and his jealousy inducing setup isn't using them, 6 channels must be okay.

It comes with an idatalink maestro at that works kind of like an AmpPRO but bypasses the old Alpine amp entirely. It looks like a decent amp and DSP combo and has preouts to go to my HD750 for my subs

I’m actually considering the amp but there are 2 additional parts to buy

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
I bought and installed the JBL gx302 in each side of my dash. The highs are insanely high. I went from from a +3 on the Treble to a -6 and it still seems too high. Any vocal with the 'S', 'F', or 'T' sound is terrible.

Im thinking of ordering the Infinity 3032, but im afraid that they will sound exactly the same. After looking on Amazon's reviews about the JBL I can see im not the only one who has these crappy speakers.

It just sucks because with my EQ set the way it is there is no point in changing out the rear doors.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought and installed the JBL gx302 in each side of my dash. The highs are insanely high. I went from from a +3 on the Treble to a -6 and it still seems too high. Any vocal with the 'S', 'F', or 'T' sound is terrible.

Im thinking of ordering the Infinity 3032, but im afraid that they will sound exactly the same. After looking on Amazon's reviews about the JBL I can see im not the only one who has these crappy speakers.

It just sucks because with my EQ set the way it is there is no point in changing out the rear doors.

Are you running the Alpine system? Are the new speakers the same ohm load as the old ones?

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Are you running the Alpine system? Are the new speakers the same ohm load as the old ones?

Yep and yep. I tested resistance of both old and new and they both said 2.5ohms. Im also thinking of just cutting out the tweeters to see what they sound like, but am a little scared because there is no going back after that.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
You'll need to drop the load with a capacitor if they're too bright. With the 9 speaker alpine, the harman 3032cfx did not need them. Certainly much brighter, but not ear bleeding to the point where you had to bury the EQ.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
You'll need to drop the load with a capacitor if they're too bright. With the 9 speaker alpine, the harman 3032cfx did not need them. Certainly much brighter, but not ear bleeding to the point where you had to bury the EQ.

I now know what ear fatigue feels like from using the jbl gx302. Even with the volume half way up they hurt my ears, and its not even loud. I used to be able to crank the factory speakers and never had that problem.

Im not too fond of the jbl's right now.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
They're identical, the 3022 superseded the 3032 but amazon must have ran into a small lot of the existing part number.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
They're identical, the 3022 superseded the 3032 but amazon must have ran into a small lot of the existing part number.

I got the Infinity 3032cfx coming... Ill be able to do a side by side comparison of two brands; JBL and Infinity. Fingers crossed ill be able to use my EQ again. :rolleyes:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
They are basically same, I have a 3022cfx in center Gx302 in corners. Not sure why some say they are really bright, of all the people who listened to my system, all said it sounded perfect. Maybe some people have extra good ears for certain high notes. I had some infinity speakers in a older car that were for sure bright, but these I have had no issues.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
They are basically same, I have a 3022cfx in center Gx302 in corners. Not sure why some say they are really bright, of all the people who listened to my system, all said it sounded perfect. Maybe some people have extra good ears for certain high notes. I had some infinity speakers in a older car that were for sure bright, but these I have had no issues.

Agree. I have the GX302 in the corners as well and no one has commented on them being too bright. It's all subjective though...... just like muffler drone lol.

OP
OP
Midnight Storm

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to bring this thread back to any new guys looking at upgrading your system and say that many months later, I’m 100% satisfied with the performance of my setup. The net audio harness has never cut out and the JL sub with the alpine amp hits nicely since being broken in.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all: Just wanted to let you know how a recent speaker upgrade went for me. About a month ago, I realized that my system seemed extremely bass heavy, and everything sounded muddy, no matter what setting I had my treble turned to. Additionally, to get "good thump" (I love bass, but there have to be some crystal clears to the music too - have to hear the cymbals, high notes, and voice should be clear during dialogue) I was having to turn everything up way too loud. I figured it was either the crap Chinese speakers that RAM put in (even though my system is a "premium" Alpine system.)

To start, back at the end of 2019, I was not very happy with the stock system. Sure, it was better than any previous vehicle sound system I'd ever had, but it just wasn't "there" for me. Not enough bass, too much treble. Notes weren't that clear. The sub was actually too tinny. Anyway, the first thing I did, was to purchase a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer. I pulled the original Alpine out, put some foam fiberfill from a "bamboo" pillow in the box - just enough to fill it, not pack it tight, and then dropped in the Pioneer. INSTANTLY sounded amazing. The "thump" was perfect.

Add a year of heavy use, and everything started sounding muddy: Voice was scratchy, muffled. No treble at all (even turned way up). Bass was way too heavy. Well - figure I'd blown at least a couple of the speakers, and probably the tweeters in the dash.

I did some research, and wound up ordering the JBL Club 322F 2-ways off of eBay to replace the tweeters in the dash. Put them in, and the high notes were coming through beautifully....

Except... The speakers were way to "bright" - the treble was overpowering the bass, and it physically hurt my ears to listen at anything other than the lowest possible volume. Turning the treble down didn't help and only made the sound worse.

I was bummed. After doing some more research, I figured I had three options: 1) return the JBLs for something else, 2) modify the JBLs by putting a resistor inline on the wire, or "padding" the speakers, or 3) continue with my upgrade and find speakers to replace the door speakers (front and rear). If I returned the JBLs, I would have needed something to replace them, and there's no guarantee that they wouldn't be just as bad. If I did the resistor or padding, the resistors are huge (for the amount of space I had in the dash) or would have required me to hack the wiring behind the dash - I don't like cutting wiring and stuff unless I have to, and that just seemed to be more problematic than it would be worth. So, I figured I'd go ahead and replace the door speakers.

I dug around, checked reviews, and finally ordered 2x sets of Pioneer TS-G690 6"x9" 3-ways from Crutchfield, as well as the install guide. Dropped them in Friday. Crutchfield's instructions were spot on, and once I dropped the speakers in, music heaven was returned to me.

The treble is where it should be, voice is clear, and bass thumps even better than it did before, but without having to turn my system all the way up.

I still have one last upgrade to do: the 2x tweeters in the roof of the cab. I'll post again once I do.

If you are having sound issues, definitely do some research! Oh, and my lesson I learned from this: Do everything at once, rather than piecemeal it like I did!

Hope that helps some of you sitting on the fence about a speaker upgrade.

V/R

Black-Wolf

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Here is what I did to upgrade the sound in my factory Alpine system (2016 RAM with UAS from 2018). I am not an audiophile or anything. Listen to all kinds of music. I would say the system was good before the upgrades and noticeably better after.

Metra Adapters:
72-6514 - Doors and Subwoofer
72-7902 - Front and Headliner

Front: 3x JBL Club 3020 - I did these first and the difference in highs was quite noticeable. A little too noticeable at first. I turned down the treble which helped but they still seemed a little too bright at first. Part of this was probably the jump from the old speakers to the new.

Front Doors: JBL Club 9600c - Since these aren't full range I decided I'd try component and use the tweeters in the headliner. These dropped right in with the included spacer and helped to get rid of the boomy bass.

Rear Doors: JBL Club 9630 - Simple drop in. Installed at the same time as the front doors. Helped to balance the sound out and get rid of boomy bass.

Headliner: Tweeters from the 9600c - I 3d printed an adapter that bolts into the factory location and fits the mounts for the tweeters.

Subwoofer: Pioneer TS-A2000LD2 - Installed in the factory box using factory amp. Also stuffed the box with polyfill. A little bit tighter bass. We'll see if it improves even more with break-in.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all: Just wanted to let you know how a recent speaker upgrade went for me. About a month ago, I realized that my system seemed extremely bass heavy, and everything sounded muddy, no matter what setting I had my treble turned to. Additionally, to get "good thump" (I love bass, but there have to be some crystal clears to the music too - have to hear the cymbals, high notes, and voice should be clear during dialogue) I was having to turn everything up way too loud. I figured it was either the crap Chinese speakers that RAM put in (even though my system is a "premium" Alpine system.)

To start, back at the end of 2019, I was not very happy with the stock system. Sure, it was better than any previous vehicle sound system I'd ever had, but it just wasn't "there" for me. Not enough bass, too much treble. Notes weren't that clear. The sub was actually too tinny. Anyway, the first thing I did, was to purchase a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer. I pulled the original Alpine out, put some foam fiberfill from a "bamboo" pillow in the box - just enough to fill it, not pack it tight, and then dropped in the Pioneer. INSTANTLY sounded amazing. The "thump" was perfect.

Add a year of heavy use, and everything started sounding muddy: Voice was scratchy, muffled. No treble at all (even turned way up). Bass was way too heavy. Well - figure I'd blown at least a couple of the speakers, and probably the tweeters in the dash.

I did some research, and wound up ordering the JBL Club 322F 2-ways off of eBay to replace the tweeters in the dash. Put them in, and the high notes were coming through beautifully....

Except... The speakers were way to "bright" - the treble was overpowering the bass, and it physically hurt my ears to listen at anything other than the lowest possible volume. Turning the treble down didn't help and only made the sound worse.

I was bummed. After doing some more research, I figured I had three options: 1) return the JBLs for something else, 2) modify the JBLs by putting a resistor inline on the wire, or "padding" the speakers, or 3) continue with my upgrade and find speakers to replace the door speakers (front and rear). If I returned the JBLs, I would have needed something to replace them, and there's no guarantee that they wouldn't be just as bad. If I did the resistor or padding, the resistors are huge (for the amount of space I had in the dash) or would have required me to hack the wiring behind the dash - I don't like cutting wiring and stuff unless I have to, and that just seemed to be more problematic than it would be worth. So, I figured I'd go ahead and replace the door speakers.

I dug around, checked reviews, and finally ordered 2x sets of Pioneer TS-G690 6"x9" 3-ways from Crutchfield, as well as the install guide. Dropped them in Friday. Crutchfield's instructions were spot on, and once I dropped the speakers in, music heaven was returned to me.

The treble is where it should be, voice is clear, and bass thumps even better than it did before, but without having to turn my system all the way up.

I still have one last upgrade to do: the 2x tweeters in the roof of the cab. I'll post again once I do.

If you are having sound issues, definitely do some research! Oh, and my lesson I learned from this: Do everything at once, rather than piecemeal it like I did!

Hope that helps some of you sitting on the fence about a speaker upgrade.

V/R

Black-Wolf

Nice job Wolfy! What speakers are you going to pop in the headliner?

Here is what I did to upgrade the sound in my factory Alpine system (2016 RAM with UAS from 2018). I am not an audiophile or anything. Listen to all kinds of music. I would say the system was good before the upgrades and noticeably better after.

Metra Adapters:
72-6514 - Doors and Subwoofer
72-7902 - Front and Headliner

Front: 3x JBL Club 3020 - I did these first and the difference in highs was quite noticeable. A little too noticeable at first. I turned down the treble which helped but they still seemed a little too bright at first. Part of this was probably the jump from the old speakers to the new.

Front Doors: JBL Club 9600c - Since these aren't full range I decided I'd try component and use the tweeters in the headliner. These dropped right in with the included spacer and helped to get rid of the boomy bass.

Rear Doors: JBL Club 9630 - Simple drop in. Installed at the same time as the front doors. Helped to balance the sound out and get rid of boomy bass.

Headliner: Tweeters from the 9600c - I 3d printed an adapter that bolts into the factory location and fits the mounts for the tweeters.

Subwoofer: Pioneer TS-A2000LD2 - Installed in the factory box using factory amp. Also stuffed the box with polyfill. A little bit tighter bass. We'll see if it improves even more with break-in.
So - Might have spoken too soon. After taking a week or so to truly listen, adjust, listen - I'm a bit disappointed in the JBL Club 322fs. Even toned down, and fiddling with them (discovering I'd wired the front right dash in reverse and fixing that), they are just too "loud" compared the rest of the speakers. That is more to do with them being 3-Ohm speakers and the newer Pioneer 6x9s being 4-ohm speakers. I haven't decided yet on what to put in the headliner at this time, but I've heard good reports about some of the Alpine 2" tweeters.

Regardless, I've decided to first swap out the front 3.5" JBLs for something else first. BEFORE I do that though, I have discovered another issue: The FRONT DOOR speakers, don't put out ANY mids or highs, and sound like mud. I didn't find this out right away because my ears were being blasted by the JBLs. When I pulled them out, I found that all the mids/highs were coming from behind me. Adjusted the balance and fader, and found that full left or right set at about mid front or further forward... just... bleh.

These are brand new Pioneers. Before I return them to Crutchfield though, I will swap one of the front doors with one of the back door speakers, and see if it follows the speaker. Is it possible this is because the front doors aren't full range? I hadn't considered that till reading the post above this one.

I'm seriously not happy right now.

IF you have any thoughts or advice, please let me know.

Lkw88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice job Wolfy! What speakers are you going to pop in the headliner?

does the Net Audio adapter completely cut out the need of an amp kit? I’m confused on what all the adapter does

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, check some of the latest threads. One of the first mods I did was swap in a real subwoofer/amp combo. Affordable and entry level install, the 5/8” MDF prefab boxes are adequate for modest power levels. <1000 RMS

Is that a quad or crew? Got a link to the box?

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I got my speaker situation resolved. The JBL speakers I bought, were still way too loud. Since I hadn't spent a lot of money on these, I figured I'd do some testing. I decided they were junk, and cut the speaker leads to the tweeters on one, and to the midrange on the other. The midrange actually don't sound too bad, and the tweeters are crystal when run by themselves - without being too "bright". JBL says they're 2.5 ohm Speakers - and when I ohmed them out - testing the individual components by themselves, they both came back at 2.5 ohms. However, the mid-range and tweeter are run in parallel, so this means that together, they are about 1.24 ohms - so way louder than 2 ohm OEM speakers.

I ran the midrange in my center channel, and the tweets on the corners. Sounded great, but still a little too loud.

Ordered 2x sets of Infinity Reference 275s from Crutchfield. Dropped them in to the corners and overhead, and man - what a difference! They are awesome, the sound is awesome. The highs are perfect in clarity, without being over-driven. I then dropped the JBL in which I had cut the mid-range out of the circuit, into the center channel, and it sounds pretty damn good, but it's still louder than the left/right tweets - so I'm going to put the JBL in which I cut the tweeter out, back in (I initially had it set up this way the other day after I got done with the dash Infinity Reference install) and I think that will do what I want.

For those of you thinking of upgrading your speakers, here's some needed info:

NOTE: This info applies to the 2017 (GEN 4) RAM 1500/2500/3500 Crew Cab with the Alpine Premium Sound System - I do not know if it will be 100% accurate for other years/packages!

1) Your "factory" Alpine "premium" sound system is HEAVILY tied into your truck's computer system. This means that any "mods" you do, will be problematic and expensive. Based on what I've found so far (to the best of my knowledge), if you are looking to replace your amp and go cheap, forget it. You will need to order a PAC, and a new amp, but you can't "replace" your old one. Additionally, there are a lot of choices out there. I didn't want to spend more than about $500 on my truck sound system, so I decided against ordering a PAC, and other stuff - which would have cost at least another $800. Don't know about you, but my wife will only tolerate so much... ;)

2) Your factory AMP has (I think) 9 + 1 channels. These channels are (based on what I've personally witnessed) frequency filtered as follows:

Channel (not necessarily the channel number scheme that the amp actually uses - but I needed something for reference so I'm just showing how the channels are separate on each set of speakers):

1 & 2: Front Right and Left Dash - Tweeter Only
3 & 4: Front Right and Left Door - Woofer only
5 & 6: Rear Right and Left Door - Woofer and midrange (might be full range - IDK)
7 & 8: Right and Left Overhead - Tweeter Only
9: Center Dash - midrange?/tweeter
10: Under Rear Passenger seat, right side - Sub-woofer

Positive (+)/Negative (-) speaker wires are color coded as follows:

Dash:
Left front corner dash speaker: positive (+) gray/orange or gray / negative (-) gray/yellow
Right front corner dash speaker: positive (+) gray/dark green / negative (-) gray/light green
Center dash speaker: positive (+) gray/brown or gray / negative (-) gray/orange

Doors:
Left front door speaker: positive (+) gray/violet / negative (-) gray/yellow
Right front door speaker: positive (+) dark green/violet / negative (-) dark green/yellow
Left rear speaker: positive (+) gray/light green / negative (-) gray/dark green
Right rear speaker: positive (+) dark green/light green / negative (-) dark green/gray

Roof:
Left rear roof speaker: positive (+) tan/white or green/light blue / negative (-) dark green/gray or green/orange
Right rear roof speaker: positive (+) dark green/brown / negative (-) yellow/gray

Subwoofer:
Rear subwoofer voice coil #1 positive (+) white / negative (-) black
Rear subwoofer voice coil #2 positive (+) white / negative (-) black

3) When replacing your speakers, do it in sets - so, replace both the front left/right and rear left/right pairs of tweeters at the same time. Do the same with the doors. The center dash and sub-woofer can be done any time. Keep in mind that if a speaker is removed from a channel set, I have "heard" that the Alpine will apparently shut off all the speakers - I don't know for sure as I haven't tested this.

4) You can buy full range (2-way, 3-way, etc.) speakers for the front doors - but only the woofers will fire due to the amplifier only sending low frequency signals to them. You might find a better deal buying component speakers (separate woofer and tweeter) for the front doors and left/right dash.

5) If you put 2-way (combined midrange and tweeter) on the left/right dash (and overheads?) will probably make your ears "bleed" because they will possibly be too "bright". You'll know this because you won't want to even listen to your system and/or you'll have ringing in your ears (esp. at night when you're tying to sleep!).

6) Match all your speakers by impedance for Channels 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9. Match all your impedance for 3, 4, 5, and 6. The impedances to not need to necessarily match between those two groups, but the closer you get all your speakers, regardless of if you buy from different companies or go with all the same, the better your sound will be and the less likely you're going to run into my initial problems in my original post.

Your sub should have dual voice coils for best performance.

7) You will not need passive cross-overs for your speakers. The amp does active crossover management with the channel separation as I understand it.

8) You should seriously consider getting the Metra Speaker Wiring adapters, the Metra Speaker Mounting brackets, and the Universal Backstraps.

The wiring adapters make wiring the speakers in a breeze and you don't have to do any cutting or splicing. Also, they make having to know which wire is positive(+) and negative(-) a moot point. I have provided that info anyway if you like to do that sort of stuff.

For the dash corners: The mounting brackets are for the corner and center dash speakers, SPECIFICALLY for the Infinity Reference speakers. You'll need a 1-3/4" hole saw. Clamp them down, and drill a small pilot hole in the center of the adapter. Then use the hole saw to drill out the bigger hole. Be careful - they're just plastic, so you don't need to go all Hercules on them. Use the ring mount that comes with the speakers and mount the speaker in it, and pull the wires out the back, then mount it to the Metra adapter. Once you do that, connect the wires to the Metra wire adapter, connect the Metra adapter to the vehicle wiring harness for the OEM speaker, tuck it all in, put the adapter over the hole where the factory speakers were mounted, screw it in, and put your speaker grill back on.

For the overhead roof mounted tweeters - use the backstraps. Find the end with the elongated hole, and count over 1/2 a hole. Bend there (your up bend). Then count up 1-1/2 holes, bend there. This is your top bend. Count three holes - make sure you have three FULL holes - your speaker will mount directly in the middle one. Bend again down, then bend over. You can tuck that long end between the headliner and the OEM speaker bracket if you're careful. Before you mount the speaker, make sure you've pulled all your wires through the back of the adapter that came with it in the box, and connected the Metra wire harness.

Here's my set up as of tonight (once I swap out the center dash JBL that is cut for tweeter only to the one that is cut for midrange only):

Sub-woofer: Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 - wired in series for 4-ohms impedance
Front Right, Left Dash: Infinity Reference REF-375TX
Rear Right, Left Roof/overhead: Infinity Reference REF-375TX
Front/Rear Left/Right Doors: Pioneer TS-G690
Center Dash: JBL Club 322F (Tweeter wires cut)

Additionally, I grabbed some fiber-fill from a pillow (use the foam type) and put it LOOSELY in your factory sub-woofer box. Do NOT overfill or stuff it tight! The amount of thump your sub will produce will transfer much better into your vehicle. You don't need a lot.

I may still replace the JBL in the center dash with something else, but I'm going to hold off on that until I've listened to what I currently have for a few days. I'm not 100% sure that any mid-frequencies are sent there. I know that highs are. Crutchfield lists all the speakers that fit there as 2-way, so that SHOULD indicate that both mids and highs get sent there, but I want to make sure, if I buy something else, that the impedance matches what is coming from the left/right dash speakers.

Overall - as of right now - and hopefully, I'm NOT speaking too soon - I love the sound coming from my system now. It's pretty good. Once I swap out the center dash speaker, I think it'll be nearly perfect.

I hope this helps. The most difficult thing I had trouble with, was finding out what wires were positive and negative for speaker hookup - this is because I initially cut the speaker dash wires when I tried to go cheap and just mount the JBLs as I didn't have the Metra Wiring adapters. I still wound up having to buy spade connectors. So - lesson learned, just buy the wiring adapters!