Upgrade my Ram 1500 or buy Power Wagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
In my opinion if I wanted a true rock crawler I’d be getting a wrangler to start. The power wagon is amazing for a full-size pickup. It’s top of that class. But I think the wheelbase and just the overall size and weight will limit you a little if you want a truly unstoppable off-road monster than won’t get hung up on any trails.

Then keep the 1500 for truck duties?
Yeah. Get a wrangler if you want to fix it after every outing lol. These guys work on Jeeps every trail they hit. My cclb goes on the same trails and only a couple flat tires. And I go where they go

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Unrelated question.....

Has anyone really put the new Gladiator Rubicons through their paces?

I don’t like the look of them from the factory but think they look nice with a little lift and slightly bigger tires...

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
This is all very true. The only reason I suggested keeping the 1500 was his intended use wasn't in line with the power wagon. Granted you can make a PW go fast friendly, but even still it isn't in its wheel house. If you see alot of time in 4 low, locked, and disconnected crawling all over things, the PW is a no brainer (if it fits on the trails) But for what he constantly mentions I think the 1500 should suffice.

Though I have to ask 12k?! What did (or didnt) you have done to the 1500 lol.

I want to reiterate, alot of people run around in way overly decked out rigs for what they're actually doing. So I think building and growing into something or needing to change vehicles down the road as his need a progress is a bit more practical than jumping into something just because it sounds right for the job. Not knocking anyone, as I really have truck envy myself, I'd love to own ANY power wagon, but I see so many people think they need something, only to be on a trail that you can do with 1/4 the equipment and it makes me wonder.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

the short list (hitting the bigger ticket items)

-The built-in winch behind the bumper winch
-Ram air with cold air intake
-flowmaster exhaust
-6” lift
-18 rims and 35” tires on Tokyo
-rear lockers
-spod
-4 sets of ridge lights
-rock light
- Diamond back cover
-tune
-Duel king stabilizer bar
-amp steps
-front, engine, transfer, tranny, gas tank and rear skid

The PW is an HD but the weight makes it planted. We are not comparing to a Raptor? Cause a Desert runner is a different animal.

The PW has balls. Having a HD truck with a 6.4l is a great platform to build from.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Agreed. I took a few Wranglers out for a test drive and I HATED the way they ride on the road! My truck will be awesome with the Carli Kings setup! both on and off road! :)
I’m just starting my build. It will be fun to pop in on each other’s build tread as we progress

039EF670-6159-4DD2-9FCC-1183D172C6DD.jpeg

FC5EB88B-5827-4B80-96E7-024D54F1D4E0.jpeg

D3FAA798-BB28-49EC-ADE8-34E2FED833D7.jpeg

88B17AA5-7EB3-4636-8894-C9CFD95963AA.jpeg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yeah. Get a wrangler if you want to fix it after every outing lol. These guys work on Jeeps every trail they hit. My cclb goes on the same trails and only a couple flat tires. And I go where they go
My jeep is dead in front of my house, and I haven't even wheeled it hard....dangit! You are genuinely an anomaly compared to most. I've wheeled my entire life and enjoy seeing you sling that land yact where it doesn't necessarily belong.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I’m just starting my build. It will be fun to pop in on each other’s build tread as we progress

View attachment 187161

View attachment 187162

Those gen5s are really growing on me.! Sounds like a lot of goodies on that 1500 for sure. The biggest thing is intended use and terrain, ibwouldnt take a raptor where a PW goes and vice versa. Tho I've seen it done and both can handle each, they fit their own niche well. Ibbet that 8spd makes a huge difference with that 6.4 as well

View attachment 187163

View attachment 187164

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
These gladiators are goofy long. The kid I bought my xj back from has one. It's a freaking boat. Honestly the more time I spend offroad, the more I want a dedicated buggy or a side by side. The amount of fun you miss out on knowing it's gotta drive home, or to work on Monday sucks.

I'm actually selling my jeep I just finished. Ended up too nice to mutilate. I'll be recycling that into my ram and either a side by side, quads, or my 08 colorado 4 banger that I hate and will make into a solod axle buggy thing.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
My jeep is dead in front of my house, and I haven't even wheeled it hard....dangit! You are genuinely an anomaly compared to most. I've wheeled my entire life and enjoy seeing you sling that land yact where it doesn't necessarily belong.

Land Yact! I like it lol. Thanks man. I really enjoy taking g it places peeps say it can’t go. I got a biggie in the works have a feeling it’ll not make it haha. But I gotta try

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Land Yact! I like it lol. Thanks man. I really enjoy taking g it places peeps say it can’t go. I got a biggie in the works have a feeling it’ll not make it haha. But I gotta try
Never know till you try! And i know youll jsve plenty of pics to show either way!!! Im really jealous of the terrain you guus have available to you out west. We have to utilize privage parks and pay. It makes it a whole ordeal and normally a full weekend trailering rigs and camping. Logistically it's a pain!!!

My 2006 2500 was similar to yours, albeit not a long bed, but I slung it down some jeep trails I really didn't belong. Body damage to show for it. Here on the east coast it's the trees that normally get ya. My issue is, I don't really care about body damage, but yea, I prob should. So I need to build a mad max mobile so I don't keep destroying nice stuff.

I can't bring myself to pay the $ for a truck, nearly what I bought my house for, only to take it in the woods. I already have smashed rockers on my 1500 lol, but at least you can't see it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
because of the 8 sp tranny, 37‘s are going on this Christmas and I will not have to regear or lift it. i had a Raptor. Definitely a different animal. Even my Jeep was different on trails and high speed runs.

3626CDE1-021E-4E08-989A-77725D1AEF58.jpeg

1E11F96D-4738-4BF3-B026-446DCFB0EADC.jpeg

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
because of the 8 sp tranny, 37‘s are going on this Christmas and I will not have to regear or lift it. i had a Raptor. Definitely a different animal. Even my Jeep was different on trails and high speed runs.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

View attachment 187168

View attachment 187169

The 8spd is honestly a big part of why I love my 1500. I bet it's a game changer in the bigger truck.

Both previous rigs are nice, and you've owned the trifecta of offroad tools! One day I'll have a PW....one day

Achyas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look up AutoEdits on Youtube. He has a 2009 1500 that was originally built by on of the 4WD magazines when the 4th gens first came out.

The truck has 37's with pretty much just a level and a lot of great work done to it when he bought and he has also done a lot of great work, but nothing the average guy can't do in his garage. He's taken it on a few big trips and loves the way it handles everything.

He also has I believe a 2015 JKUR with 38's, so he has something much more capable to compare it to.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Look up AutoEdits on Youtube. He has a 2009 1500 that was originally built by on of the 4WD magazines when the 4th gens first came out.

The truck has 37's with pretty much just a level and a lot of great work done to it when he bought and he has also done a lot of great work, but nothing the average guy can't do in his garage. He's taken it on a few big trips and loves the way it handles everything.

He also has I believe a 2015 JKUR with 38's, so he has something much more capable to compare it to.
Too funny! I'm a big fan of his channel and watched his Ram videos this afternoon while I was off sick from work!

Achyas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Too funny! I'm a big fan of his channel and watched his Ram videos this afternoon while I was off sick from work!

Nice!

He’s actually the main reason I decided to keep my 2012 1500. That was the first time I had found someone really using a 4th gen off-road like that

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Yup, AutoEdits has been a great influence for me as well. I hope that guy browses the forum sometime to see how many of us watch and learn from his videos.