Upgrade my Ram 1500 or buy Power Wagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
1500’s will work.... so will a normal 2500 with some suspension goodies. Trust me I know! The solid front axles are king but it’s all in what you want to do. The lsd in the HD’s are really good. So a front locker is all that’s needed. Sway bar pffffft who needs it lol. The pw is sold ready to roll. But to be honest you can build a used 2500 for cheaper. Again all depends on what you want to do. I wheel a 2500 cclb and I hear every time I go out “you won’t make it though or up that” WRONG!!! Lol.

9E7AF3BA-8F16-4DFA-B0D6-3B0A77F078CB.jpeg

7F8CBC8B-4E47-4416-8015-B8B052EBE5AE.jpeg

9340D9C1-1B21-476B-B0E5-ADBB4D1B5A46.jpeg

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
OP, like i said I do moderate rocky trails, nothing too crazy and mostly because i don't have proper armor to protect the belly otherwise i'll do more aggresive trails. the other issues is that more aggressive trails also have places where trying to steer the truck will be a choir, it's a choir already even on moderate trails. I can only imagine trying to drive something even longer and wider. I don't have a rear locker either just the factory LSD and the truck will go many places with that configuration. I had a 4 door Wrangler before and at times i thought it was big, the RAM is an elephant, a 2500 is damn Oil tanker :)

I'll leave you with some of the stuff you can do with 1500 and the Carli setup. I don't have any issues even on 37's. I'll invite Gary to try to keep up with his little shorty RAM but he's more into the "look" lol, i'm more into using the truck for what i wanted a 1500 and this is pretty much it.

48027908038_78e6c446a0_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48261385016_3ca78ff35c_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48390015177_22f593750d_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48888614712_3690f719d2_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48888614047_4d9ea82907_k.jpg by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48888437151_609fd9a8d1_k.jpg by RAM RSM, on Flickr
We gotta go wheeling together!!! It’s like my mini me truck hahaha

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
too many Gary's doing the $50 or the $300 spacers, same BS, to have the "tough" 4" lifted look but there are no cojones to bend a little metal here and there from time to time just for the fun of it on the real offroad trails :) so our aftermarket reacts accordingly.

Watch Gary IFS doing what you and your Wrangler won't do, let alone your 1500. a PW should fair a little better but again not on 33's, full size trucks are just too damn big so we need big tires.

If you meant me when you said Gary's don't go by my daily driver and presume this is all I have as it is just daily transportation . I don't do much off roading any more and if I do my 99 TJ or my 05 Rubicon will be just fine for the job. Just because my street truck is what it is don't judge my experience based on that

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I traded my '10 1500 in. I put a zone 6" on it, Fox 2.0s, 37s etc etc. It ran great, it did well offroad on moderate bumps -- never rock hopped it. It was a LOT of fun in the mud. i since traded it in on a 2018 PW. I went the extra mile, upgraded to Carli Commuter with tuned Fox 2.0 and also added a Thuren steering stabilizer (king shock). I stayed at 35s with 17x9 +0 as this is a daily driver. I have ZERO regrets. Thus far, the only offroading I have done is in my backyard, trips to the county dump and a recent trip hunting. I have taken it at 60 MPH over moderate bumps on country roads -- I felt nothing. Bonus -- Carli (unlike Thuren) setup increased my payload capacity to 2K -- so no Cali squat when I tow. Best truck I have owned, except for the MPG. That was expected. (I currently get 9-10)

wkP9T6z6TTS2NQjdUx6yng.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most people don't buy an IFS truck to redesign the suspension no meaning basic leveling or drop bracket kits as a redesign. . I have been in Construction for my whole life and when it comes to Trucks I seem to see a lot more Superduty fords with straight axles on the jobs than I do any IFS trucks and it really don't have much to do with rocks. If you want a truck that is ready to go offroad right from the show room floor its hard to beat a Power Wagon . Do all ya want to a 1500 and its still a 1500. A power wagon speaks for its self if researched on like a Power Wagon Forum
I don't disagree with you except that most 4x4 applications with a 4hi/4lo transfer case and little higher clearance can offroad right from the showroom. PW's are indeed special vehicles given all the offroad features they come equipped with, there is no other truck in the market equipped like it right from the factory floor. Just like the Raptor from Ford comes equipped with for a different type of offroading as well. The OP has only mentioned snow offroading, do you really need a $70k truck to go in the snow ? sure a 1500 is a 1500 regardless of mods, OP can do most of this type of offoading with the Carli King setup in his 1500. This is not something showroom vehicles can do saved for the Raptor, and while the Carli King setup is not long travel, you can drive a 1500 like this in the same terrain without any issues, the long travel comes more handy for those mid size to big size whoops or dune style air.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Most people don't buy an IFS truck to redesign the suspension no meaning basic leveling or drop bracket kits as a redesign. . I have been in Construction for my whole life and when it comes to Trucks I seem to see a lot more Superduty fords with straight axles on the jobs than I do any IFS trucks and it really don't have much to do with rocks. If you want a truck that is ready to go offroad right from the show room floor its hard to beat a Power Wagon . Do all ya want to a 1500 and its still a 1500. A power wagon speaks for its self if researched on like a Power Wagon Forum
I've been researching a lot actually. I just don't really want an even BIGGER vehicle with more weight.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Some GREAT comments guys! Thanks for taking the time to post! I'm torn still between upgrading the 1500 vs biting the bullet and getting a Power Wagon. I don't only want to off road in snow by the way. Unfortunately it's that time of year in my neck of the woods so not much choice for now! LOL

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ The PW will be the ultimate offroader in the RAM line of big trucks. Think about usage or what you really want and can afford. If you can afford the PW go for it. I haven't regretted my decision of going with a 1500. a 1500 is more civilized as a DD, let alone having one with hi peformance suspension. If you never rode in a 2500 bone stock i'd suggest you to go to the dealer and take one for a spin. I have no idea about a PW stock shocks and springs but i figure that truck is even heavier than a normal 2500 so it will probably ride more or less about the same as a stock 2500, it's a big a truck so it rides like a big truck. Carli or Thuren can do wonders for them but you tend to lose tow capabilities to make the ride more compliant. I needed a big vehicle to fit a family of 5 and enjoy the outdoors, i'm not into towing heavy, and it fitted the offroading style i'm doing for having such a big boat. Trust me when i tell you this this thing is like a big yatch with the Kings on it :)

There will be plenty of trails where you can drive a big truck offroad, 22hemi, me and others are proof it can be done, in my case i wish i had something a tad smaller sometimes but again, your truck with Kings will drive so much nicely in the dirt it'll beg for speed i'm not kidding. a PW can also be fitted with 2.5 or 3 body shocks to make it ride a lot nicer offroad and get a lot more performance out of them, and you'll already have the lockers, the winch and the axels with it which is a huge benefit if you going to use the truck in more aggresive offroad trails. It comes down to how much you want to spend. 22hemi doesn't have lockers or winch and you can see what a 2500 with Carli and 37's can do in Arizona fun trails.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
^ The PW will be the ultimate offroader in the RAM line of big trucks. Think about usage or what you really want and can afford. If you can afford the PW go for it. I haven't regretted my decision of going with a 1500. a 1500 is more civilized as a DD, let alone having one with hi peformance suspension. If you never rode in a 2500 bone stock i'd suggest you to go to the dealer and take one for a spin. I have no idea about a PW stock shocks and springs but i figure that truck is even heavier than than a normal 2500 so it will probably ride more or less about the same as a stock 2500, it's a big a truck so it rides like a big truck. Carli or Thuren can do wonders for them but you tend to lose tow capabilities to make the ride more compliant. I needed a big vehicle to fit a family of 5 and enjoy the outdoors, i'm not into towing heavy, and it fitted the offroading style i'm doing for having such a big boat. Trust me when i tell you this this thing is like a big yatch with the Kings on it :)

There will be plenty of trails where you can drive a big truck offroad, 22hemi, me and others are proof it can be done, in my case i wish i had something a tad smaller sometimes but again, your truck with Kings will drive so much nicely in the dirt it'll beg for speed i'm not kidding. a PW can also be fitted with 2.5 or 3 body shocks to make it ride a lot nicer offroad and get a lot more performance out of them, and you'll already have the lockers, the winch and the axels with it which is a huge benefit if you going to use the truck in more aggresive offroad trails. It comes down to how much you want to spend. 22hemi doesn't have lockers or winch and you can see what a 2500 with Carli and 37's can do in Arizona fun trails.
Damn straight. But I’m running Thuren lol :favorites37:

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Well I think I've decided! Based on the kind of driving I'll be doing and all the comments, I'm going to upgrade my current Ram 1500 suspension and front bumper (cracked anyway) and perhaps look at getting it re-geard from 3.55 to 4.56 or even 4.88 if possible. I run 17" wheels and 35" tires. Want more off the start pep and hills performance. Not worried as much about highway cruising efficiency. Also been looking into getting a Vararam CAI and a tuner.

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Any opinions on me getting a 3" body lift to go along with the Carli 2" lift and King shocks? I currently have a Bilstein level set at 2.8 up front and a one inch spacer in back. Don't want to go lower than that. Love to stuff 37's on it too if they would fit!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go for it bro you won't regret it. We have some 1500's representing on most weekends around here :), the white truck is Revitupmoto33, he runs Kings 2.5 front and Icon 2.0 rear all with custom valving, aftermarket UCA's 35's with 3.55's, and he's got a bunch of custom armor and bumpers all fabbed by him, aftermarket cap, solar panels, water tanks, he's got his truck setup for expedition stuff.
I'm running Kings OE 2.5 front and rear, 37's with 3.92's, aftermarket UCA's. i'm also running his rock sliders and swing out carrier, and those rocks sliders have saved my rocker panels more than once.

48888591117_a746b4da54_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Go for it bro you won't regret it. We have some 1500's representing on most weekends around here :), the white truck is Revitupmoto33, he runs Kings 2.5 front and Icon 2.0 rear all with custom valving, aftermarket UCA's 35's with 3.55's, and he's got a bunch of custom armor and bumpers all fabbed by him, aftermarket cap, solar panels, water tanks, he's got his truck setup for expedition stuff.
I'm runing Kings OE 2.5 front and rear, 37's with 3.92's, aftermaet UCA's i'm running his rock sliders and swing out carrier, and those rocks sliders have saved my rocker panels more than once.

Damn I love that. All helps then some rams :anitoof: Where y’all locates or do runs typically?

OP
OP
BellevilleRam

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I'm runing Kings OE 2.5 front and rear, 37's with 3.92's, aftermaet UCA's i'm running his rock sliders and swing out carrier, and those rocks sliders have saved my rocker panels more than once.

Did you have to do a lot of trimming to fit those 37's? In this photo it doesn't look like you have much room for flexing in the wheel wells.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn I love that. All helps then some rams :anitoof: Where y’all locates or do runs typically?
We got together for that one. It was in Big Bear. There is a whole trail system there for the off-road enthusiast in general, truck, Jeeps, motorcycle, ATV’s etc, this is where the some of the nice black diamond trails are located, but there is also blue and green trails, so you can go from easy hi speed trails to moderate and more hardcore crawling. I haven’t done black diamond ones because I’m affraid to land my gas tank over a sharp edge boulder and ruin the day for me and everybody else.

The most hardcore ones are located in Johnson valley and is what they run in Ultra 4 for king of the hammers. Check Chocolate Thunder in YouTube, Sledge Hammer, SOS etc. you want Guevos and pure steel to run them hahahahaha.

Then you have the SoCal desert for hi speed or combination of hi speed and easy to moderate to hard core crawling in Anza Borrego, Ocotillo Wells, Trona, Joshua Tree etc etc.

There are places in Northern California if you want to do the famous Rubicon trail, the Sierra Nevada is all full of trails from easy to hardcore.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you have to do a lot of trimming to fit those 37's? In this photo it doesn't look like you have much room for flexing in the wheel wells.
I removed the wheel liners in the back and I’m running 1” extra bumpstop. Zero rubbing tucked to the max.

For the front the secret is caster and in my case pre-running style front bumper asides from the King COs set at around 2.75”. You want at least 4.8* caster on the driver side and 5-5.2* passenger. I haven’t shaved any metal in the front but removed a little plastic close to the wheel seams and had to massage the front fender lips towards the inside with a hammer. I’m still running the front plastic liners in the front. I didn’t have any rub with 4.8* caster driver and now I have little going in reverse while turning driver with 4.5* driver.

You’ll also have to adjust your King COs to about 2.5-2.75”. King OE comes setup at about 2” but I have more weight in my truck as well because of the rock sliders compared to a bone stock 1500 The bumper is also heavier than stock so in my case I have 11 turns in the driver side and 10 turns in the passenger side. Keeping one turn extra in the driver side to compensate for the gas tank.

Check my built thread I have pics and details with everything you need to know about the setup, off-road proof.