Upgrades...What to do First, etc...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Fellas,

I've got a 2014 Ram SLT 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 Hemi with 50K miles on it.

I'm beyond happy to have a great truck like this, but I'm sure as many of you know, the pride and satisfaction of performing upgrades is a highly desirable pursuit to some people - and I'm excited to begin! However, as a couple of you might know, I'm just now finishing up a masters degree, and I can't start until another month or so.

But I wanted to share some of the things I'd like to do because, even though I'm aware that guides on this site exist (You guys are the best,) I kind of want to do a lot, and so I just want to bounce it off someone to see if perhaps there's a certain order I should be doing these upgrades in. Here goes

1. Premium Cluster (Hoping this isn't pulling the whole dash off.)
2. Leather Steering Wheel (do the 2014 models have a spline locating tab so the wheel goes back on straight?)
3. Steering Wheel Audio Controls (Should I buy the whole steering wheel/audio setup as a single unit if possible?)
4. Backup Camera (I have no idea what this entails, yet.)

4a. Those are most of the tech updates I'd like to do. I believe I have the 5.1 UConnect...I haven't really had the chance to truly look at the bigger stereo display...but I may upgrade this component, although I probably won't go for the top infotainment system.
5. I'd like a bed cover/toolbox combo. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm thinking I want an electric retractable setup...but not sure if I'm willing to spend $2,500 to get one. I really need to think this one through and would appreciate any feedback about pros/cons.
6. I want to level the front to match the back...any preference for kits here? I still have to measure.
7. I would like fisheye mirrors for my side views...can anyone recommend a good maker?
8. Any good mirror to clip on or somehow attach to my sun visors? Mine don't have mirrors :(
9. WeatherTech: I went ahead and got front and back liners, mud flaps, window weather deflectors, and bug/rock deflector for the front. Love it!
10. I will be installing leather upholstery, probably with a kit from leatherseats.com. Leather was the one thing I wanted, but didn't get when I originally bought the truck. I plan on installing the heated seat option when I do.

Guys, I know this is a long list...if you want to comment on only certain things, please feel free to go by the numbers if it helps you. The main thing I needed was the first four items, and if I should do one thing before the other, do it a certain way, etc.

I know your time is valuable, so thank you in advance for not only reading, but also commenting if you have the time. Anyone who comments is tops, in my book.

OK, back to class!

Best,

Maitai

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What part of Nevada are you located?

1. The cluster on requires to remove the trim panel around the gauges
2. Get a new wheel that comes with the controls attached. Will be alot easier then piece everything together
3. refer to above
4. You can buy a complete kit that will include the wiring and camera, You will then have to take it to the dealer to have the code flashed
5. If you go with the swing out cases from undercover then you can ran any type of bed cover.
6. Are you 2wd of 4wd?

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cluster upgrade is straight plug and play swap with same year.
Try RM10 mirrors by Wadestar for blind spot.

OP
OP
M

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

2. Get a new wheel that comes with the controls attached. Will be alot easier then piece everything together
3. refer to above
4. You can buy a complete kit that will include the wiring and camera, You will then have to take it to the dealer to have the code flashed
5. If you go with the swing out cases from undercover then you can ran any type of bed cover.
6. Are you 2wd of 4wd?

Hi Vegas!

Thank you VERY MUCH! I'm in the Reno area. I'm a firefighter/paramedic working at the U.S. Navy's TOPGUN training facility at Naval Air Station Fallon (NAS Fallon) in Fallon, NV.

- Copy that on items 1-3.
- Camera isn't plug and play without flash? I actually need to flash it anyway since I have a U0140 permanent body module loss of contact (this is a bug that doesn't affect anything - but requires the updated flash.)
- WOW, I REALLY LOVE THE SWING OUT CASES AT UNDERCOVER!!! Thank you so much for the tip - I'M SOLD! Now, I'll just need to decide on a cover ;)
- I own a man-truck (sorry, the guys at the firehouse would have teased me mercilessly if I hadn't gotten a) 4 x 4!

I do make it to Vegas from time to time. Maybe we can meet and compare trucks :)

OP
OP
M

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Docpaulo,

Have a preferred model number or make for the projector lights? Also, are we talking street-legal? I can tell you I will most likely do it, because I like to see clearly at night. Again, thank you.

Thanks Silver Surfer - RM-10's are on the buy list!

Regards,

Maitai

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6. Bilstein 5100 struts.
7. Wadestar blind spot mirrors.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Congratulations on your Masters program. You have your priorities in check. Speaking of upgrades, your list is decent, but none of these is performance-focused. If you intend on doing anything with the exhaust, larger tires, the e-fan mod, a ported throttle-body, headers, etc., your biggest bang for your performance buck and the first mod you want is a tuner. Everything is gravy from there. Even if you none of these things, the tune will still yield you great returns on your investment, and a custom tune even more so.

Leatherseats.com does look good, but check out Katzkin too. Great product.

As for bedcover and toolbox, I went with the BakflipG2 and the Bakbox, which is a retractable toolbox, giving you full access to your entire bed when not in use.

Good luck in school, and with your upgrades. Keep us updated, post progress pics, and ask questions. We all want you to succeed and we all learn from one another.

:cheers:

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Vegas!

Thank you VERY MUCH! I'm in the Reno area. I'm a firefighter/paramedic working at the U.S. Navy's TOPGUN training facility at Naval Air Station Fallon (NAS Fallon) in Fallon, NV.

- Camera isn't plug and play without flash? I actually need to flash it anyway since I have a U0140 permanent body module loss of contact (this is a bug that doesn't affect anything - but requires the updated flash.)
- WOW, I REALLY LOVE THE SWING OUT CASES AT UNDERCOVER!!! Thank you so much for the tip - I'M SOLD! Now, I'll just need to decide on a cover ;)
- I own a man-truck (sorry, the guys at the firehouse would have teased me mercilessly if I hadn't gotten a) 4 x 4!

I do make it to Vegas from time to time. Maybe we can meet and compare trucks :)

I’m currently in the process of becoming a FF. I recently got hired with Clark county as a volunteer on their rual divisions.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Infotainment can get you audio steering wheel controls backup/carge/front camera and even an 8.4 carplay deck (that is what I am getting) if you want. For seats be sure to check out clazzio for comparison to others unless you don't want covers. I just got a 15 Express Pentstar with 32K miles my first ever truck and am full upgrade mode myself. Have fun!

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi Docpaulo,

Have a preferred model number or make for the projector lights? Also, are we talking street-legal? I can tell you I will most likely do it, because I like to see clearly at night. Again, thank you.

Thanks Silver Surfer - RM-10's are on the buy list!

Regards,

Maitai
If budget allows a ram oem projector is best... if not ebay dot legal ones are ok... the projector has cutoff shades so you can put in bright HID and not blind anybody...

I have morimoto HID bulbs... and cheap opt7 hid for my fogs

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am still happy with my dtmoto factory style black projector housings, I put in a morimoto HID kit from Retro Shop (http://shop.retroshop.us/). This kit uses an H7 bulb for the low/high beams (there is an additional H11 high beam), so Jeremy from Retorshop asked me to put that in the notes (as they aren't listed as an option).

The cutoff on these are very very sharp. The only issue is that the step is rather large, but it doesn't bother me at all.

If you search my posts there is a dt moto thread where I posted pictures.

*Note, as of now (2/13/18) their eBay store, may be out of these housings now, it may take a little while for new supplies to come in.

OP
OP
M

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Guys,

I am incredibly humbled and even happier for all the inputs regarding upgrades to my baby. I want to thank you all very much, and I'll do my best to respond to each and every one of you below...again, thank you!

Maitai

Jeff CA: Wadestar Blind Spot Mirrors will be ordered tonight, and while I'm a bit early on leveling, I'm sold on Bilstein Struts! That webpage is saved, and when the time comes, I'll be picking up the 5100's. I LOVE the concept.

S0CAL: Many thanks for your well-wishes on the masters program - last nose-to-the-grindstone period of time for me, and then it'll be springtime in more ways than one!

What would you recommend for a tuner? I'm not really interested in drag racing performance, but if something would make my baby purr better and keep the gas mileage where it is - or better - then I'm game! Porting throttle body, exhaust, etc. will probably not be done unless I need to do it - I'm very happy with the how well the engine runs :)

I'll throw Katzkin in the mix to make my choice for seats...and I see there are many options for toolboxes and covers - that will be probably another thread when I'm ready to split hairs ;) It will all be researched, and thanks to your help, I'll be making an informed decision. Again, many thanks!!! **Klink!!!***

Vegas Dragger: Sent you a PM...will always help a prospective fellow firefighter!

NapaRam: Yes, I'm looking for new upholstery - but thank you for the tip on Clazzio. Full-Upgrade-Moder's unite! :)

Docpaulo: Thank you for the clarification on the projectors. I'll let you know what I decide once I get to that point. You gave some great info on the other bulbs, etc. Thank you!

JPT: Awesome, thank you for that projector link and info! It will be helpful once I have time after school is done ;)

GUYS, I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN WELCOMED INTO A BRAND NEW FAMILY, AND I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT IT ALL. YOU GUYS ARE TOP-NOTCH GIVERS, AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SHARING MORE TIME AND TIPS WITH YOU ONCE I GAIN SOME KNOWLEDGE...MAYBE I CAN HELP A YOUNG BUCK LIKE ME ;)

Many thanks,

Maitai ;)

Drew512

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

3. refer to above
6. Are you 2wd of 4wd?
Hi Vegas!

I don't want to hijack the thread, but regarding the swing out cases, do they block the rear bed for downs? I was looking into them and had that concern.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brent: Thank you; ordered!

Wareagle32: Thanks, I'm looking at it right now... ;)

Drew512: Cases come out easily...does that help? Not sure what you're referring to with that "downs" comment. Thanks for checking in...no hijack.

OP
OP
M

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh, and I know there are differing opinions, but I just bought a K&N Cold Air Intake :)

Drew512

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brent: Thank you; ordered!

Wareagle32: Thanks, I'm looking at it right now... ;)

Drew512: Cases come out easily...does that help? Not sure what you're referring to with that "downs" comment. Thanks for checking in...no hijack.

Sorry, I must have been sleeping when I wrote that post. I was asking the swing cases block the lower rear tie down loop on the side of the bed.

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, I must have been sleeping when I wrote that post. I was asking the swing cases block the lower rear tie down loop on the side of the bed.

Yes they do, but as stated they lift out of the way easily.