Upgrading from a 1500 to a PW for the RamBox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power Wagons in many ways are like Jeeps, where I live we see big decked our Rubicon's that never leave the hard road. People just love how they look and how they feel when they drive them. I love my brut Big Red. The Ram Boxes carry all my off road gear.

I have been a Dodge/Ram truck, and Jeep guy for so long that when I get into the wife's car I am scared, its to low there is no noise and it is way to smooth. If I wanted the ride of a 300C, I would buy a 300C. I want the ride of a power wagon and its capabilities. I tow a 6500 pound trailer without issues. I load the box with lumber or what ever for project. I hunt and fish and get the truck dirty and it handles all of these thing well. But that is just me, like I said at the beginning some people just love how the power wagon looks and how it makes them feel when they are behind the wheel.

My take is if you want it get it, I don't think you will have regrets

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Locks only keep honest people out
Well yeah, most things like that were really meant to be only a deterrent anyway but still, somebody made a really good point a long time ago when another one of these discussions about to have the Ramboxes or to not have the Ramboxes and they said they’d much rather have something else just in case the person did decide to break in that something like a tonneau cover would be a lot easier to replace than somebody deciding to take a prybar to those Ramboxes lids and tearing up your bed.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd guess insurance would cover that. The same as if that guy frustrated by the sturdy tonneau cover decides to just smash a window to see if something valuable is inside.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll be on a business trip next week, and as it happens will come by a dealer that actually has a PW on the lot (none around here in the whole area). Rather low equipment on it, but maybe they'll let me test drive it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll be on a business trip next week, and as it happens will come by a dealer that actually has a PW on the lot (none around here in the whole area). Rather low equipment on it, but maybe they'll let me test drive it.
It will be all over once you test drive it LOL

Guessing it dosnt have ramboxes?

RobertRay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was able to buy a 2018 1500 4x4 Club Cab with the 6.4 bed and Ram Boxes. I think they are the most useful truck accessory I have ever had. I wanted a 2500 for towing, but downgraded my order to the Big Horn 1500 because that was the only way to get a Ram Box in 2018. I have worried about theft, because I keep all my fishing gear in one side, and all my tools and tire chains in the other, but then again, that' what insurance is for.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The PW is off road capable. but that's about all. Lousy MPG, payload and towing capacity not the greatest, and rides like a log wagon. Can respring it and may be different shocks could improve ride somewhat, but it will never ride like a 1/2 ton, IMO.
I liked the look of the PW, was considering when I bought my 2500 but the huge loss in payload capacity made it the wrong truck for me. I looked at ram boxes for years at car shows and they were going to be in my truck but when it came time to buy; 1) they weren't on 8' box, and 2) I use those areas in front of and behind the wheel wells all the time for things I carry.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
2017= I had to go to the commercial line to get that combination. 6-4 bed, ramboxes, crew cab. My dealer found one for me.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not bed swap your 1500? That would be cheaper and you won't sacrifice anything

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
If you like your truck, buy a box. We have lots of places that sell take off boxes. Rambox may be a little tough, but are you really in a hurry? Cheaper than a new truck. You might even find one in your color.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought about that, too, but as far as I know there isn't a box that I could swap to. The box from the 2500s is different and won't fit my 1500.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
check Hollander. They give the cross-reference for parts. If you wish, I could try to source one. They do make a 1500 6'4 rambox bed. Primarily quad cabs.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They do make a 1500 6'4 rambox bed. Primarily quad cabs.
Probably for the Gen4/Pre-2019 1500's? Or do they custom make them?
Like I said, RAM itself doesn't make a 6'4"-Rambox-bed for the Gen5-1500.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2 Dealers said look for quad cab. They are available with Rambox 6'4.
They took away a lot of options in 2022, but looking at the 2021 RAM configurator, they only offer Ramboxes for for the 5'7"-box, but not the 6'4"-box. No matter if QuadCab or CrewCab.
Or am I overlooking something here?

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, they told me that it never was an option for the Gen5.