Upgrading from a 1500 to a PW for the RamBox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All,

I currently drive a 2019 1500 Laramie Hemi with the CrewCab and the 6'4" bed. I'm thinking about a new truck eventually, and since build times have quite risen lately it would make sense to start thinking now.
What my 1500 doesn't have but I've fallen in love with are the RamBoxes. Now RAM doesn't build the 1500 in that configuration (CC, long bed, RamBox), but it's available in the 2500. Since I don't actually need a 2500 for its capabilities and I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality, I wouldn't want a standard 2500. I guess that leaves me with a PowerWagon and its softer suspension.

I know this is the PW-subforum, so I know what y'all are inclined to, but my question to PW-owners (who maybe came from a 1500) is: besides the known low gas mileage and the fact that the PW is mainly taller and heavier than my 1500, if I were to configure a Level 3 PW, would I have to sacrifice anything else? Or is it a mostly win-situation? Truth be told, I don't tow much or heavy, and I don't offroad either. It would be my only vehicle (plus one the wife drives) and thus be a daily driver.

Crazy idea or not?

Thanks!

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You'll eat some gas mileage, especially if you left your 1500 stock. You'll never see above 16 with a Power Wagon. Well maybe if you left the tiny tires on it. Clearance is an issue in parking ramps with them sometimes. There are some that are 6'10". It's a much bigger truck and if you are used to how snappy a 5.7 in the 1500 you might be bit diappointed with the Wagon. The level 3 trim is super nice and you won't be unhappy at all with the interior.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Parking garages with ramps are not really a problem around here. Maybe smaller downtown streets, but that's about it.
I guess the PW just can't be as "snappy" as the 1500 in spite of the larger engine - the PW is, what 7000 lbs. curb weight? I'd guess my 1500 is about 2000 lbs. less. Explains the gas mileage, too. All in all I currently get around 20. But as I don't drive 20.000 miles a year, gas mileage isn't a deal breaker. My old 2010 1500 didn't get above 15, either.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, that's strange. It's practically the same bed so I wonder why they don't offer the 6'4" bed with the RamBoxes in the half-tons but they do in the HD's... Guess that's another mystery to ponder kinda like the one where there for the longest time, the only time you could get the power-fold trailer-tow mirrors was on the heavy-duty trucks but every single 1500 made that came with the trailer-tow mirrors had to be manually folded in.

But you know, if the 6'4" bed with the RamBoxes is what you really want and if you really don't need the off-road capability of the Power Wagon then just get you just a regular 3/4-ton but order it with the rear air ride. You'll still have the stiffer front suspension but at least you won't have that bone-shattering, teeth-rattling rock-hard rear suspension that'll beat ya to death when the truck is empty and not towing anything. Besides, if you ever do decide to upgrade and want to pull something that you'd need a real 2500 for, you're already set but will have a softer ride in the meantime. Back when I was shopping for a truck, I came pretty close to buying a 2500 just because it had that option but being that the new 5th-gen models hadn't come out yet at the time with that new 8-speed transmission, I just settled on the 1500 because I really wasn't impressed with that 6-speed in the one I test-drove.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Parking garages with ramps are not really a problem around here. Maybe smaller downtown streets, but that's about it.
I guess the PW just can't be as "snappy" as the 1500 in spite of the larger engine - the PW is, what 7000 lbs. curb weight? I'd guess my 1500 is about 2000 lbs. less. Explains the gas mileage, too. All in all I currently get around 20. But as I don't drive 20.000 miles a year, gas mileage isn't a deal breaker. My old 2010 1500 didn't get above 15, either.
It could be a lot snappier but the power and torque rating of the 392 Hemi isn't much more than the 345 Hemi. You're talking 410hp/429tq in the 6.4L and 395hp/410tq in the 5.7L.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
If your missus is short she won’t like a pw if you are old and have issues getting in a taller truck you probably won’t either I built rock sliders/ steps for mine to stop the whining and protect my truck if you don’t wheel or do much camping you probably won’t use it to it’s fullest potential that being said I love my truck and I think it’s growing on the missus now that she has driven it a bit she likes the loud exhaust and the size to wake up bad drivers lol her jeep isn’t that intimidating lol

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
The PW is an up grade. You have new options if traffic is bad. Haha.
Your will actually enjoy pulling people out of the ditch. The weight make you feel planted. The ride is so nice and you don’t even notice speed bumps. The vacation options are endless. And you make friends everywhere. PW for the win!!

Attachments

• 499A549F-FE0F-49F8-BF6E-DC65F8FBD0E3.jpeg
    499A549F-FE0F-49F8-BF6E-DC65F8FBD0E3.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 21
  • D25F0F20-CF4D-4905-B21C-2C13490D2344.jpeg
    D25F0F20-CF4D-4905-B21C-2C13490D2344.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 8E0DD96D-FA86-4030-BD9C-9A470314FD1F.jpeg
    8E0DD96D-FA86-4030-BD9C-9A470314FD1F.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 22
  • CA97D133-5CB0-4476-88F5-8949B4F5F87A.jpeg
    CA97D133-5CB0-4476-88F5-8949B4F5F87A.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 22

bigred2211

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Funny...I just traded my 1500 rebel with ram boxes for a PW without. I love this truck, but miss some of the 1500 traits.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm, that's strange. It's practically the same bed so I wonder why they don't offer the 6'4" bed with the RamBoxes in the half-tons but they do in the HD's...

The half ton boxes (well, the entire body) are completely different from the hd’s.

But yea…why make a rambox for the super short box but not for the full size box? Dumb.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a power wagon with ramboxes and a half ton without ramboxes. The half ton is night and day a better daily driver. Especially considering it gets about 6-8 mpg better than the pw. But i understand your desire for the ramboxes, and if that is a must for you than it sounds like you habe no choice but a heavy duty.

The power wagon package is roughly $7000 last i was looking. If you are not going to use it, you might as well just get a similarly equipped non power wagon, add a high end plush suspension and be money ahead.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hmm, that's strange. It's practically the same bed so I wonder why they don't offer the 6'4" bed with the RamBoxes in the half-tons but they do in the HD's... Guess that's another mystery to ponder
I guess so. I asked them about it, and they answered:

Presently, the current market demands and consumer interest in this factory configuration do not support factory production of this nature.
If, as @olyelr says, the boxes are different on 1500s and 2500s, then that actually makes sense. Seems like there's just not much demand for a 6'4"-box with RamBoxes on the 1500s.

I know the PW is a tall beast, I guess I'll have to find one at a dealer around here and testdrive. I did measure my garage, though, and with a slight modification to the garage door opening system it'll actually fit. ;-)

On another note, to those that currently have a truck on order or recently built: I bought my 1500 new, but it was already on the lot. So I got about 10% off sticker price in the end. Is that the case if one orders a truck to be built? Or is it more or less sticker price/MSRP then?

Thanks!

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I moved from a 2019 1500 limited with the 6’4” box, to a 2021 power wagon. Exactly what you want to do, except i don’t have the Ram boxes. I too was worried about the ride quality. The heavier truck with the power wagon suspension was a pleasant surprise when I compared the ride to the 1500. while it’s a little stiffer, I felt like i didn’t give up very much. I’m really happy. Like you already know, gas mileage is worst and towing capacity is about the same. I doubt I’ll ever go back to a 1500.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If, as @olyelr says, the boxes are different on 1500s and 2500s, then that actually makes sense. Seems like there's just not much demand for a 6'4"-box with RamBoxes on the 1500s.
In 2019 the half tons were completely redesigned. The hd’s did not get the redesign, other than the updated front end and rear end…still pretty much using the same cab/box as they were back in 2010 (aside from minor changes).

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since they still make the “classic” half tons, with the old body style, i wonder if you can get one of those with ramboxes?

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Like you already know, gas mileage is worst
I'm now speculating here, but I guess a "standard" 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi isn't much better. Maybe a little because of the lower ride height, but probably not by much.
A friend of mine drives a 3500 Dually Diesel, and he said he barely makes it into the teens. At least on good days.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In 2019 the half tons were completely redesigned. The hd’s did not get the redesign, other than the updated front end and rear end…still pretty much using the same cab/box as they were back in 2010 (aside from minor changes).
I thought the 3/4-tons did get the same re-design in 2020 as the 1/2-tons got in 2019. Apparently not, thanks for mentioning.

But a "Classic" 1500, which is basically a Gen4, isn't really an option for anyone who has owned a Gen5. ;-)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The half ton boxes (well, the entire body) are completely different from the hd’s.
Are you sure? I don’t know, I guess maybe they could be different on the new body style but I was pretty certain that on like the old fourth GEN‘s, the only thing different between the 1500s and the heavy duty‘s was the front end and the hood as far as the body goes.
But yea…why make a rambox for the super short box but not for the full size box? Dumb.
I’m not sure about the trucks that had the 8 foot beds but I do know for a fact that at one time before the new body style came out that you could get the ram box bed in both the 5‘7“ bed and in the 6‘4“ bed for the half ton and the 6‘4“ bed on the heavy duty trucks

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess so. I asked them about it, and they answered:

I don’t know, like I told the other dude, I guess I could be wrong that a lot more of the bodies are different on the new body styles as they were on the previous generation between the 1500 and 2500/3500 but my take on what they told you why they don’t have the 1500s with the longer 6’4” beds and Ram boxes doesn’t make any sense to me because I would think both lengths of beds could really benefit from those especially the longer bed when that’s probably going to be the main choice that most people who work out of their trucks would rather have just for extra storage to keep power tools and stuff like that and for the guys that have the shorter beds- even though you’re losing that space in front of and behind the wheel wells, you still have a pretty nice lockable area that even if it wasn’t power tools and such, you could put other camping gear in there or fishing gear or whatever else that you want to keep secure but don’t want it in the cab of the truck so like I said, I don’t buy what they told you… Lol. But who knows, it could be possibly because of the fact that on the older fourth GEN‘s, that they were having quite a bit of problems with them squeaking and not being will waterproof.
I know the PW is a tall beast, I guess I'll have to find one at a dealer around here and testdrive. I did measure my garage, though, and with a slight modification to the garage door opening system it'll actually fit. ;-)
I still think you should consider just a regular three-quarter ton but get it with the rear air ride. I really wish I could’ve found a lot that had one so I could test drive it but all the three-quarter tons I found were just the regular coil spring suspension but being that I was already sold on the half ton with the four corner air ride, I think my mind was still pretty much I made up anyway just because I really loved the four-corner air ride and I just wasn’t crazy at all about that six speed automatic that the three-quarter tons had at the time.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure? I don’t know, I guess maybe they could be different on the new body style but I was pretty certain that on like the old fourth GEN‘s, the only thing different between the 1500s and the heavy duty‘s was the front end and the hood as far as the body goes.

I’m not sure about the trucks that had the 8 foot beds but I do know for a fact that at one time before the new body style came out that you could get the ram box bed in both the 5‘7“ bed and in the 6‘4“ bed for the half ton and the 6‘4“ bed on the heavy duty trucks

Yes. The ‘19+ half ton bodies are completely different than the brand new heavy duties. All they did was update the front end and rear end…same basic cab and box as the last 12 years. And correct, the 4th gen half tons had the same cab and box as the hd’s, just a different front grill/bumper.

Yes, that is correct. Pre ‘19 half tons you could get any length box (5’7”, 6’4”, and 8’) with ram boxes.

OP
OP
D

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don’t buy what they told you… Lol.
Looking around, I see quite a few RAMs out there, but I'd say just about 10-20% of them have RamBoxes, if that. So while I agree with you on the practicality (which is why I want them), seems like few people actually choose them. And if those are the people who buy trucks with the shorter bed, there you go.

And I really appreciate the 8-speed gearbox on my 1500, so the PW wouldn't be an option if they still had the 6-speed gearboxes. But with the new generation (>2020, I think), that has changed.

Since I stumbled on it, the PW doesn't come with Auto-4WD, does it?