USB music won't play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pakuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just purchased a 2019 2500 HD Diesel.
Love the truck, but when I make a new USB thumb drive with my music it won't play, I took the thumb drive my wife is using in her Grand Cherokee and it works fine. The new drive also doesn't work in the GC.
Any ideas?
The drive works in my desktop computer.
Thanks,

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know definitively but check if there is a size limitation or a disk format limitation on thumb drives for your truck. I know a lot of older vehicles only work with the FAT disk format and only 32 GB or smaller. I don't know why so many vehicles are so limited in their capabilities but it seems to be pretty common.

OP
OP
P

pakuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fixed, the Jump Drive I was trying to use was 64GB, replaced it with an 8GB drive and it works perfectly.
Must be size limiting
Thanks for the reply

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I use a 128 GB drive in mine.

To do so I had to format the drive in FAT32 and I only loaded individual music files vs. folders full of music files.

Works like a charm.

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use a 128 GB drive in mine.

To do so I had to format the drive in FAT32 and I only loaded individual music files vs. folders full of music files.

Works like a charm.

Awesome. Going to try removing the folders and just have files without folders. Put some really good drum and bass on a 32GB drive formatted in FAT32 and it still did not read it. Will try this out tomorrow.

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I removed all the folders and tried it. Yes that did it. 32 GB drive playing like a charm. Not sure why it will not read it when music files are structured within folders. I picked up a 128 GB going to format it and see if it works as well. Maddog thanks for that tip.
Cheers.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I use a 16GB thumb drive. I have my music in folders but only "1 deep" and I don't have any issues.