Useless Navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Great One

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was very excited about getting my new truck. I love the truck. I hate what I paid for it. But I am really shocked that more people aren't outraged by the stupidity of the navigation system. I have had Garmin Navigation systems of one kind or another for about 17 years. I know how to use one. The system in our 2019 trucks is ridiculous. For example, I am about 1 mile from my local Lowes store. I ask it for directions. It gave me multiple Lowes all 80 to 200 miles away. It skiped the four closest to me. So to tested it further - I ask for my local Walmart. Same thing it skips the five Walmart's closest to me. I have tried asking it for different subway locations sometimes it works sometimes it just keeps asking me to say a POI, category, or name.
I was recently in the town of Crescent City, Fl. I asked for Restaurants. It gave me restaurants in Tampa, St Pete, Jupiter but nothing in Crescent City. PS those other locations were all over 100 miles away. When I ask for a specific address it frequently decides that I want to call a number that it makes up and asks if I want to call it now. I have tried having my wife ask for the information only to get the same results.
When it does give results it simply lists the location. I don't know if it is South of my current location, East, West, North. I am going North do I want to turn around to get to the one it listed 5 miles away that is really maybe 10 miles away or should I take the one that is 6 miles away to the North that may be right on my route? Most every Navigation system I have used give you an indicator to let you know how far away and which direction from your current location.
I tried to enter my doctors address by hand before I started driving because they don't believe my wife has the ability to enter information while I am driving. I could not find the address. I kept trying every time I stopped. Once I was about 2 miles from his office it located the address.
I have heard some joke or complain that it is difficult to use. This is simply incorrect. It is almost unusable. The best results I have experienced is when I manually enter the address but it does not work every time. Most of the time I use it to find the local BestBuy or Grocery Store or whatever for the town I am in. I don't have the address for the local Red Lobster, that is why I am using the voice option to ask for the location of my nearest store, restaurant, park, etc, etc. while I am driving.
I can hook up my Android Phone and ask Google for any of these items and it finds it immediately, but I have to pay airtime charges. I do not have an unlimited plan. Nor should I have to pay someone else to look up the information when I have a VERY EXPENSIVE 12 inch display screen in front of me.
I have taken my truck back to my dealer. After waiting for 10 minutes for a service tech to come out to me - I decided to walk in and find one of them. They simply shrugged their shoulders and said that is just the way it is.
So I now have to carry my 12 year old Garmin on my dash because my 65K truck can't find anything I ask for.
Why isn't something being done about this??????

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I opted not to have Navi as I have it on my other vehicles and it seems my phone’s work better for me.

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
I just use android auto, Waze works great no need to pay for navi through Chrysler

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Sounds like it doesn't know its own coordinates. Mine has always been good about local POI searches. Did you ask your sales guy? Just a thought. My sales guy is very good. He knows everything about all features. I ask him before I go to service(which would be rare).

But on this subject, the OEM NAV pales in comparison to a GARMIN dash unit, even though the latest is much better then 1 year ago. I actually have a dash GARMIN even though I have factory NAV. I only have factory NAV because it was already in the truck that had %100 features and options that I was looking for.

However, I still end up cussing both for some of the routes it tries to take me. I drove the Vermont last weekend, and was constantly having to put in way-points so I could shave of 3 hours of the "calculated" route!!

I don't bother with Android auto or waze. That's just me. I find them lacking a lot of features that I need. I love my GARMIN 61 with smartlink live traffic.

20180929_170532.jpg

JDLonghorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Been using the factory Navs for 6 years now in three different vehicles. Ram, Jeep and Chrysler. Never had a problem finding anything. They are easy to use and work really well, especially the new ones. They are usually a year behind when you get the vehicle though but honestly, you must be using it wrong or yours is defective.

mainard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
For finding stuff i use the uconnect app, the app used to be better on my 2017 pacifica, this one seems very laggy and slow to open, the app and the nav has 2 different map engine, so i search in the app and send n go, but after the uconnect needs to be paid on subscription ill use google map to search or waze, the vpice command on nav is not good, we went with the nav because the trim around the screen on no nav is matte plastic and not the shiny trim

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Make sure you have the truck properly signed up with uconnect Initially my truck had me located out in the Atlantic when I was sitting in my driveway which is about 30 miles away from the ocean. A call to uconnect cleared up the issue and my poi's are now close to my location.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not that this is the same, but while my truck is at the bodyshop I’m in a Jeep Compass. Used the Navi today and that thing was sooo accurate till I was able to tell me where the pigeon’s feather had landed after it fell ha ha. If that’s the case, are they not the same Navi systems ? I can’t tell you as I didn’t want Navi in my truck...

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try the nav in a Toyota.... it will make you love the one in your RAM!

I love Toyota vehicles but their navigation sucks. That is one of the reasons I traded in a 2018 Highlander for my 2019 Laramie.

I loved my 2014 Ram with navigation and feel the same way about the new one as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my only problem with the nav is that the screen goes back to 1"=400' scale after a few seconds not matter what I do..is there a trick to getting the screen to hold the scale I set it to?

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Call Uconnect your POI's are set to wrong area of country or possibly the head unit is bad. Nav works great in the 19 I have used it several times works better than the one I had in the 14 ram and it was great!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven’t really given my NAV that much of a chance on searches for stuff because I just don’t use it. Besides, it just doesn’t work as well as google maps. That, and I don’t like how it turns off the keyboard unless you are stopped. Trying to use the voice commands actually took me longer, and kept me more distracted than the short time it took to punch it in on the keyboard after I stopped. If I had access to the keyboard, I coulda done what I wanted in lightning time.

But speakin’ of which, is there anyway to disable that thing that only lets you use the keyboard when you’re stopped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yea, the GPS has some issues.

Once I put an address that routed me about 15 miles on the freeway. I knew 98% of the trip, I just did not know the final turns. So, as going down the freeway, the GPS says "EXIT". Humm, kinda odd, I'm still miles away. I take the exit. Then the GPS directs me BACK on the freeway.. Next exit, GPS, says take this EXIT... Again, It re directs back on freeway. EVERY EXIT the GPS wanted me to take, and then re join the freeway. Really?

Then there is the overall routing. I'm guessing the GPS is funded by the fuel industry? Cause, it will route me the longest ways it can. It'll have me take an exit, then drive around residential roads. Then, route to a major road. If I had just taken the major road, would save time.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, the GPS has some issues.

Once I put an address that routed me about 15 miles on the freeway. I knew 98% of the trip, I just did not know the final turns. So, as going down the freeway, the GPS says "EXIT". Humm, kinda odd, I'm still miles away. I take the exit. Then the GPS directs me BACK on the freeway.. Next exit, GPS, says take this EXIT... Again, It re directs back on freeway. EVERY EXIT the GPS wanted me to take, and then re join the freeway. Really?

Then there is the overall routing. I'm guessing the GPS is funded by the fuel industry? Cause, it will route me the longest ways it can. It'll have me take an exit, then drive around residential roads. Then, route to a major road. If I had just taken the major road, would save time.

I noticed that too with mine. I’ve used it several times in conjunction with google maps and it’s always shown a longer route than google or even Apple maps.

I guess one thing that’s nice about the factory NAV is that it keeps the clock set right, and it updates it whenever you change time zones. Not sure if it actually has anything to do with the accuracy of the speedometer or not but, I’ve heard that someone noticed their speedo was still accurate even after fitting bigger tires on their truck so, if that’s the case, even though the factory NAV ain’t worth **** for navigation, it’s still useful in other areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I have found the Nav to work great so far, maybe I was lost and never knew it!:)

Chill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mention the city/state at the end of your command. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crazy4info

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried a send&go from the app to the truck the other day. Worked flawlessly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk