Vacuum Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
My truck is full of fun surprises. When I fix one problem, another is quick to arise. I can't say I dislike that.. I mean it keeps me busy.

Problems:

- AC switches to defrost on WOT or when under a load (rarely happens)

- When i shut the truck off at night I can see condensation forming on the windshield above the defrost vents like it is blowing out with the truck off or something. I haven't used defrost in 8 months or more.

- With the AC turned completely off the vents still blow lightly. If the temperature setting is on cool, cold air lightly blows. If its on heat, heat will lightly blow.

- The truck has a pretty violent intermittent jolt. It usually happens at cruising speeds; the RPMs will quickly drop then shoot back up to normal. If the AC is on when this happens, it will stop blowing for a few seconds. It may switch to defrost but I have never slid my hand up there to confirm that since it happens so fast.

- Cruise control light will turn on but doesn't actually activate. In other words I cant use cruise control.

- I have power loss and a whine in first gear. Also trouble changing out of first gear. Instead of smoothly changing gears it will stop at a certain RPM and wait, sometimes up to 10 seconds or more, until it shifts to second. I have an automatic transmission. This may be a mechanical problem such as a clutch plate, but I wasn't sure so i wanted to list it.

Last edited:

sound=vibration

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue with my trucks ac diverting to defrost under load. All ive found says vacuum leak. Still chasing mine, if I find it ill let you know.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Most of your problem is related to the infamous Wild Vent issue.

As for cruise, check your lines going to the vacuum thing for the cruise under your battery tray.

OP
OP
J

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
I have read about the wild vents issue. The solution was to add a check valve in the vacuum lines on the passengers side, but mine already has a stock check valve there. I guess it could fail so maybe replacing it could solve that problem. Does anyone have any ideas about the intermittent jolt and the AC shutting off when that happens?

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The check valves normally do fail. from my understanding that is the issue of wild vents.

As far as the other problem, I don't have much input sorry.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The stock check valves do fail, that's why they were replaced with an updated part number that includes a little reservior.

As for the A/C shutting off, there is a switch that kills the clutch so you don't smoke the clutch or the compressor.

OP
OP
J

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
As for the A/C shutting off, there is a switch that kills the clutch so you don't smoke the clutch or the compressor.

What kind of switch? And what exactly do you think that jolt is, and whats causing it?

I'm going to replace the check valve tomorrow, hopefully that one is a quick fix.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What kind of switch? And what exactly do you think that jolt is, and whats causing it?

I'm going to replace the check valve tomorrow, hopefully that one is a quick fix.

I believe it's the WOT Shut off switch or something like that. I forget its actual name.

As for the jolt, I want to say your IAC valve might not be responding fast enough, but I don't know.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
My truck is full of fun surprises. When I fix one problem, another is quick to arise. I can't say I dislike that.. I mean it keeps me busy.

- I have power loss and a whine in first gear. Also trouble changing out of first gear. Instead of smoothly changing gears it will stop at a certain RPM and wait, sometimes up to 10 seconds or more, until it shifts to second. I have an automatic transmission. This may be a mechanical problem such as a clutch plate, but I wasn't sure so i wanted to list it.

You have nooooo idea what she will put you through LMAO.

There is a check valve in one of the tranny cooler lines up by the rad. If the check valve still in place remove it from the tranny cooler line.

Edit: The guys have you covered on the vent problem and if needed they will help you deal with the check valve as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Would replacing the check valve in the cooler line do any good instead of leaving it out? Since the one now is probably clogged up

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just keeps from having to idle the truck in neutral in the morning. Other than that, not much. Deleting the check valve keeps it from killing the trans anyway.

OP
OP
J

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
I got a new check valve in the vacuum line. I bought a new cooler line from the trans to the cooler, it only cost me $25 so i couldnt pass it up. You guys have any tips for getting the old line off (without a quick disconnect tool)?

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I don't think you can. But I suggest getting the quick disconnect tool set. If you plan on doing a decent amount of work to your truck or others, they will come in handy. Trans lines, AC lines, fuel lines, all of them. Just my advice.
Also might I say good luck with that transmission line. It is incredibly difficult.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Go buy a quick disconnect tool. lol

I got a set of 5 for like 5 bucks at Harbor Freight.

OP
OP
J

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
I figured all it took was disconnecting the hose on either end. Whats tough about it?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not sure what he's talking about either. lol

You're talking about the line with the check valve in it, right?

OP
OP
J

Jsinclair92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Yeah the hose with the check valve in it.. it goes from the transmission to the cooler

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ya get a line disconnect tool in there, pop it loose then take two wrenches and unscrew it from the main hard line.