Valvetrain Chatter After Header Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havix00

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently installed headers. After panicking about a loud ticking that I thought was an exhaust leak, we concluded it was chatter from the valvetrain that the stock cast iron headers were able to suppress better than these thinner, steel headers. My question is what is a good way to muzzle this noise? I've thought of using some thermal wrap as an acoustic sheath.

Has anyone tried something similar, or a different technique to reduce the valvetrain noise due to header install?

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very common issue. Wrapping the headers doesn't seem to help, I always just dynomat the firewall and floor, really cuts down on it

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I wouldn't wrap them. Not good from what I read over the years.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, normal issue. I have the same thing.

It saves me gas. While I know there is nothing wrong, it sounds worse than it is so I try and "ease" into the throttle. It usually gets better after the oil gets through everything but even on a "warm" start, the oil flows out and lubrication isnt the best on a start-up. Still nothing to worry about though.

OP
OP
Havix00

Havix00

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Understood. Seems like sound absorbent matting is the way to go.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Don't use header wrap! It is not for daily drivers! Your headers will corrode away underneath 100000x faster. The wrap will absorb rain splash and road grime and just hold it there.
As far as the valve train noise... Unfortunately there's no cure. Except a solid roller cam and lifter swap which no one has that I'm aware of. Lol
Just make the exhaust louder and if anyone asks why it's ticking, poke them in the eye and tell them to quit eyeballin stuff!

OP
OP
Havix00

Havix00

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just make the exhaust louder and if anyone asks why it's ticking, poke them in the eye and tell them to quit eyeballin stuff!

Got it. No thermal wraps. Poke 'em in the eye. So simple, it's genius!

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Get the headers ceramic coated, helps with flow, heat, and minor sound damping. I have the ARH which I had coated inside and out as well as the y piping. Defiantly recommended. Since I dynameted and dynalinered the entire cab I also thought about treating under the hood as well. I would dynamat for resonance and the the 3/4 hood liner over that. Might just be my next project.:naughty:

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Got it. No thermal wraps. Poke 'em in the eye. So simple, it's genius!

Hey, I'm good at helping! Lol:naughty:
Good luck with it all though... I know that ticking can get annoying.
We need Arrington to come up with a solid roller cam and lifter setup for us!