WA Backcountry Discovery Route

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone done part are all of the WABDR in a stock PW? I feel like I really want to get into overlanding and believe this is a great place to start. I am thinking about a long weekend and just doing a hotel between sections, instead of camping, to make sure it is really is for me (us) before investing in mods and camping gear. The PW is a very capable truck straight from the factory, I just want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head with a stock truck. Of course, we would go later in the year, maybe August or September and chose a couple of the less demanding sections.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go on u-tube lots of videos of guys using their stock wagons off road. I would use the winch and maybe invest in some tow ropes if you’re going alone. I my self have done a bit of off roading in stock form but nothing too crazy. Another thing to keep in mind is your fuel mileage off road. Have fun and when in doubt POWER OUT

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpeg
    IMG_2789.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Fselrahc

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those u-tube videos are part of why I'm hooked! I was hoping to find someone here that has specifically done the WABDR stock. Sometimes there is so much info online that you can't find anything.

I have invested in some recovery gear. Strap, yankum roap, tree hugger, snatch block, soft and hard shackles, etc..

Gas mileage is on my mind, another piece of info I'd like to gather from someone who's done it stock. There seems to be adequate fuel on this route but I will pick a shorter section over a longer one for the first run.

Nice truck! I am kicking myself for not getting the ram boxes!!

Squizza1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I did it last year in my Stock 21' Power Wagon
No issues with gas mileage, each section is short enough that even with some extra exploring or backtracking you have plenty of gas if you fill up at each section.
Gets a little pricey in the smaller towns up north.

Not a youtuber, just posted the video mainly for friends/family and anyone else that wanted to check it out.

You will get pinstripes, so be prepared to accept that as part of life.
No other issues or concerns during the trip.

Planning to do ORBDR this year.

Rustyraindog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 PW
Engine
I did the section starting in Packwood down to the Columbia a couple years ago, NF-23. There are sections that are really washboarded, but my truck made the drive with no problem. Really beautiful drive in late summer.

OP
OP
Fselrahc

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did it last year in my Stock 21' Power Wagon
No issues with gas mileage, each section is short enough that even with some extra exploring or backtracking you have plenty of gas if you fill up at each section.
Gets a little pricey in the smaller towns up north.

Not a youtuber, just posted the video mainly for friends/family and anyone else that wanted to check it out.

You will get pinstripes, so be prepared to accept that as part of life.
No other issues or concerns during the trip.

Planning to do ORBDR this year.
Thanks for the feedback!! I had done a pretty extensive search on Youtube and watched many videos. I was excited to see your link, clicked on it, and damn, already seen it! Great video, you're a man of few words, I appreciate that. Too many tubers that just want to hear themselves talk.

My PW is really new and I'm not sure I'm ready to stripe it. Maybe by the fall I'll have a few scratches and be over it. It looked like 5 was the "scratchiest" section.?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go on u-tube lots of videos of guys using their stock wagons off road. I would use the winch and maybe invest in some tow ropes if you’re going alone. I my self have done a bit of off roading in stock form but nothing too crazy. Another thing to keep in mind is your fuel mileage off road. Have fun and when in doubt POWER OUT
Nice paint job.

Squizza1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks for the feedback!! I had done a pretty extensive search on Youtube and watched many videos. I was excited to see your link, clicked on it, and damn, already seen it! Great video, you're a man of few words, I appreciate that. Too many tubers that just want to hear themselves talk.

My PW is really new and I'm not sure I'm ready to stripe it. Maybe by the fall I'll have a few scratches and be over it. It looked like 5 was the "scratchiest" section.?
Section5 had a lot of brush, but really you get it everywhere except for the open central WA areas heading In/Out of Ellensburg. Just seems like when they cut back the brush and trees on the trails it is for your "normal" narrower vehicles. I was joking along the way that I need to mount 2 hedge trimmers to my front bumper.

OP
OP
Fselrahc

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Section5 had a lot of brush, but really you get it everywhere except for the open central WA areas heading In/Out of Ellensburg. Just seems like when they cut back the brush and trees on the trails it is for your "normal" narrower vehicles. I was joking along the way that I need to mount 2 hedge trimmers to my front bumper.
For the inaugural run, I was looking at section 3 or 4. I have to "test drive" with the Mrs. to see if she's into it or not. The bait is a nice hotel and dinner in Leavenworth, whether we start there or finish there. :)

I am leaning towards 3, assuming that washouts at beehive are overrated. I found this quick 5 min video regarding those obstacles from June '23. Good editing, well narrated. Worth the 5 minutes!

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really cool scenery. But "pinstripes" from all that brush on my baby "Warlock"..not happening I'll just watch your video and keep my Warlock scratch free...enjoy your trip!
I just plan to do the Banff to Lake Louise trip up here in Canada and the Redwoods Crater Lake run in your country...nice roads..no brush scaping my truck and AWESOME views....then maybe your Coastal Hiway to Ventura.

OP
OP
Fselrahc

Fselrahc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really cool scenery. But "pinstripes" from all that brush on my baby "Warlock"..not happening I'll just watch your video and keep my Warlock scratch free...enjoy your trip!
I just plan to do the Banff to Lake Louise trip up here in Canada and the Redwoods Crater Lake run in your country...nice roads..no brush scaping my truck and AWESOME views....then maybe your Coastal Hiway to Ventura.
You'll love that coastal route. Pickup Hwy 101 in northern Oregon. In my opinion, that's where the beauty starts.