Wandering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
I just had Dynatrac heavy duty ball joints installed on my 2013 Ram 2500 along with the Carlis front end upgrade kit. I didn't go with Carlis ball joints as they weren't available due to a new design coming out. I'm having an issue with my truck "wandering" now. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you solve it? Thanks in advance!

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Alignment would play a big role along with tires. Do you have a recent alignment print out? On my old 2500 i did the dynatrac ball joints as well and set the truck up using thurens alignment specs and it tracked straight with 37s. Might want to look in to getting it aligned to those specs to see if it helps.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
She'll wander for about 500 miles or so, could be less could be more. The bjs need to settle down that is of course assuming everything is sound and you had her aligned already. All my Jeeps have done the wandering after replacing BJs.
If you live close to a dirt road you might acceletate the process. just shake those mfackers hard.

OP
OP
Therottenjohnny

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
Josh
Alignment would play a big role along with tires. Do you have a recent alignment print out? On my old 2500 i did the dynatrac ball joints as well and set the truck up using thurens alignment specs and it tracked straight with 37s. Might want to look in to getting it aligned to those specs to see if it helps.
, I appreciate the input. I saw somewhere in this forum that someone else recommended Thuren specs. I did not do an alignment as the shop that installed them said that nothing that affects alignment was changed in replacing my ball joints which made sense the way they explained what they did. I contacted Carlis and they said with their adjustable track bar and my set up standard factory alignment specs would be fine. I'm not sure how those differ from Thuren specs but I'll investigate. Thanks!

OP
OP
Therottenjohnny

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
She'll wander for about 500 miles or so, could be less could be more. The bjs need to settle down that is of course assuming everything is sound and you had her aligned already. All my Jeeps have done the wandering after replacing BJs.
If you live close to a dirt road you might acceletate the process. just shake those mfackers hard.
I appreciate the feedback! Dynatrac rep told me 500 to 2000 miles and they'll be broken in and settled down. Not sure how that happens. I got a few nice dirt roads around here and the front 10 acres of my property is all dirt bike track so I can go accelerate break in there!!

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
As far as alignment it honestly depends on how bad the previous ball joints were before replacing them. As ball joints wear you can get some alignment changes pretty much nonstop as it effects caster and camber the more they are worn. Here the link to the alignment specs on thuren's site a lot of good info. https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/alignment-and-handling.html

Also dont for get to make sure theres good amount of lube in the new ball joints i know mine took quite a bit of grease out of the box. It did take roughly about 400 miles for mine to smooth out so to speak but never had any thing that i would call wonder.

OP
OP
Therottenjohnny

Therottenjohnny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins diesel
J
As far as alignment it honestly depends on how bad the previous ball joints were before replacing them. As ball joints wear you can get some alignment changes pretty much nonstop as it effects caster and camber the more they are worn. Here the link to the alignment specs on thuren's site a lot of good info. https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/alignment-and-handling.html

Also dont for get to make sure theres good amount of lube in the new ball joints i know mine took quite a bit of grease out of the box. It did take roughly about 400 miles for mine to smooth out so to speak but never had any thing that i would call wonder.
Joshua, Thanks again! My ball joints had to be cut out with a torch so my guess is they were pretty bad!