Wanting to delete air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer196

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 longhorn Laramie with air suspension. I live in iowa and starting this past winter (first winter I owned it) the air suspension started acting weird. One bag would deflate but would re inflate if I put it inside. But it slowly got worse. And now both fronts wont stay inflated. the rears are semi deflated. The compressor seems like it works or at least some because if I pull a line it air comes out. Ive had it into the ram dealer around here and they cant figure it out but. The dash has immediate air suspension service required when I start it up. I have 80000 on truck now. I'm tired of the horrible ride so my question is what is everyone using for the delete kits I don't really want to lift the truck but don't want junk either. Also I do want to put aftermarket bags on rear to help with towing. I'm thinking about get the ones that go inside the springs. I was thinking about bilsteins but what os everyone else using for shocks and springs. Links would be great. Or part numbers. Thanks in advance.

Shannonh75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same questions noone seems to respond at all maybe the wrong forum

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This forum definitely lacks in the response department, it is actually pretty horrible in that aspect.
There are a lot of posts on this issue and there is actually a real good post about how to diagnose and repair it. I will look and try to repost it here if I do.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The fronts can be swapped for coilovers like the bilsteins without extra parts. Rear can be changed for coils and shocks, but I believe you'll need the spring seats from mopar or a junkyard to fit them. Air suspension can be programmed out via alpha obd or dealer visit. If you're really fussy grab a vin from a similarly optioned truck minus the air suspension and you can swap out the dash panel with all the switches as well and it's like it was never there.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This forum definitely lacks in the response department, it is actually pretty horrible in that aspect.
There are a lot of posts on this issue and there is actually a real good post about how to diagnose and repair it. I will look and try to repost it here if I do.
Maybe you should try googling your issues,and using the search function,instead of bitchiing about the forum.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
New member, first post, I usually like to say welcome to the board. That said, if you look at the bottom of this page, which would have shown up when you titled your first post, you would have found lots of info to answer your question. The reason questions often go unanswered is because some of us are tired of answering the same thing over and over. Anyone too lazy to at least try the search function first and read through the existing threads, there are more than 20 pages if you search "air suspension" and 3 pages on "air suspension replacement", that makes it hard to feel sorry for you.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think it's the forum sucks, there just aren't that many owners who've dug into in great depth. I've owned 2 vehicles with air suspension. So I understand how frustrating it can bt. On the other hand, it really is a deluxe suspension system when it operates properly. Air suspension is versatile in what it can offer, and the ride is hard to beat.

You need to to do a scan of the system. There are many potential self-reporting codes. You might consider getting set up with AlfaOBD software so you can read the codes and see real-time data.

In both of my vehicles, I had problems with the air suspension, it too was frustrating and was looking expensive to fix. I finally got ahold of the factory manual and read the entire section on the air suspension. Turns out, it was pretty simple and relatively easy to de-bug. Most of the expensive repairs that this system was known for (Lincoln's), most of the problems were rather small issues like airbag/shock solenoid valves which would often flake out or leak, air tube leaks, ride-height sensors which sometimes needed changing. Most of the parts I just listed were rather inexpensive. After that I was able to quickly and easy tackle a Lincoln air suspension system I (or my buddies at the time) had. So... my point is, knowledge of the system is key to being able to de-bug it. There are manuals for Rams floating around, if you wanted to dig into it.

But start by getting fault codes bc that can point you in a certain direction.

You may also see if there are some Youtube videos on it too, if you haven't already looked.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't think it's the forum sucks, there just aren't that many owners who've dug into in great depth. I've owned 2 vehicles with air suspension. So I understand how frustrating it can bt. On the other hand, it really is a deluxe suspension system when it operates properly. Air suspension is versatile in what it can offer, and the ride is hard to beat.

You need to to do a scan of the system. There are many potential self-reporting codes. You might consider getting set up with AlfaOBD software so you can read the codes and see real-time data.

In both of my vehicles, I had problems with the air suspension, it too was frustrating and was looking expensive to fix. I finally got ahold of the factory manual and read the entire section on the air suspension. Turns out, it was pretty simple and relatively easy to de-bug. Most of the expensive repairs that this system was known for (Lincoln's), most of the problems were rather small issues like air solenoids which would often flake out, tube leaks, ride-height sensors which sometimes needed changing. Most of the parts I just listed were rather inexpensive. After that I was able to quickly and easy tackle a Lincoln air suspension system I (or my buddies at the time) had. So... my point is, knowledge of the system is key to being able to de-bug it. There are manuals for Rams floating around, if you wanted to dig into it.

But start by getting fault codes bc that can point you in a certain direction.

You may also see if there are some Youtube videos on it too, if you haven't already looked.
There's several posts on this already,and somebody has come up with an air dyer to plumb in,which apparently helps.I don't own an air suspension Ram,so i'm not hunting up the posts on it,but the guys above should learn to use the "search" function,and they'll find alot of info already posted on this subject.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just read through the Ram air suspension section in the service manual. Yep, similar system to other air suspension systems. You basically have air-springs, solenoid valves, ride height sensors, a compressor, pressure sensor, tubing and a control module.

The typical sequence is to read your trouble code/s, then test the problem component's voltage and/or resistance. A parts store like Autozone might be able to scan your truck's air suspension fault codes. But if you're serious about fixing it (and maybe you aren't), AlfaOBD software (~$50 plus the cable) would be a better software to have on your phone or tablet (or PC). If you read through the service manual it pretty much tells you what wires to check certain voltages or resistance. If ya follow the logic that most problems are common/small things, then I'd be checking the ride height sensors and air valve's and solenoids. Could be as simple as a leaky valve or a tubing elbow that's cracked. That's common on air suspensions.

If you type in '2013 - 2016 Ram 1500 service manual' you should find a link to download the manual. Look in the 'Suspension' section for the Air Suspension section. The section is long, but there's a ton of redundancy ..repeated troubleshooting for each sensor and valve.

I would think fixing the issue would be a lot simpler and cheaper than defeating the air-ride system (yer going backwards in terms of quality). Unless you just never liked the air suspension.

Well best of luck,

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like water has gotten into the air system. Water and sensors/solenoids/etc. are not friends and add in freezing temps and you have a recipe for trouble.

Troubleshooting, purging with nitrogen, adding a dryer, and replacing any defective components would probably fix it and make it reliable.

But then again the simplicity of the base suspension is a fair trade off for the superior ride of the air suspension.

zrock

Reaction score
WOW took longer for some people to post negative comments instead of helping or doing nothing, probably why the OP never came back to the forum. I will post my 2 cents for the next person.

I used the Monroe kit for my delete i would have went with the Bilstein leveling kit when i got mine but lost the Canadian website when i went to order and could not find it again. When installing airbags in the rear you have to use the ones that fit inside the coil, the frame mounted style will not work as the upper bumpstop mount is slightly different between a coil and air suspension truck. When you install the bags they are compressed so much that you have no compression left in your truck suspension, I tried 2 different bags with the same result , i could have made it work if i felt like cutting and modifying brackets on the truck for a day or so. If you go with the bags that fit inside the coil then you can push them into the coil before you install, i ended up pulling the coils back out instead of fighting with them for a hour like i did with the first one and still did not get it in..

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tend to want to offer the most cost-effective and Path-of-least-resistence solutions first. He's basically frustrated with the dealer. Doesn't sound like he really stuck with them, or gave them (or RAM) a chance to get it fixed. It's not that complicated but you have a number of parts/pieces (though they're similar at each wheel and common parts not that $$). He didn't say he didn't like or need the air suspension. I'm assuming he bought it due to his trailering needs (he was planning to add aftermarket air bags.) Why not just fix what he's already got? Could be something simple and inexpensive as I mentioned before (he might be thinking it would be expensive). I get it though, a lot of dealers get befuddled by certain options that aren't that common ...air suspensions being one of them. Owners get the run-around. I feel his pain. You really need to ensure the dealer has a tech who has a decent amt of experience with such a system. Or go to a different dealer who has such a tech. A low-level tech could waste a lot of time.

I gave him steps to get started if he wants to. Do a scan, learn the system (self-empowerment) ..Youtube, service manual. To get into actual voltages and ohms of checking this part or that, ...do the scan first so you have a target to shoot at.

Last edited:

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe you should try googling your issues,and using the search function,instead of bitchiing about the forum.

Maybe you should reread my response and not reply like a child who has his bucket taken away in the sand box. I made a simple statement and also offered to search for the post I was referring to myself. Good thing you don't man our nuclear arsenal.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Maybe you should reread my response and not reply like a child who has his bucket taken away in the sand box. I made a simple statement and also offered to search for the post I was referring to myself. Good thing you don't man our nuclear arsenal.
Hate to say anything,but you didn't do squat for this thread,other then biitch about the lack of responses from other members.You didn't even find the thread you offered to find. Be useful for a change and either offer some good advice or at least help the OP out by finding the post your referring to. Guys like you don't really add much to the forum :rolleyes:

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hate to say anything,but you didn't do squat for this thread,other then biitch about the lack of responses from other members.You didn't even find the thread you offered to find. Be useful for a change and either offer some good advice or at least help the OP out by finding the post your referring to. Guys like you don't really add much to the forum :rolleyes:
"Be useful for a change"??? Do you know me? Have you researched my replies?? Your nothing but a forum keyboard warrior apparently. Do some research and you will see that a lot of posts fo unanswered, that is a fact and your only response is that people are tired of answering the same question because it has been asked before?? No one has combative replies as yours and it shows in your history. Nothing but a forum hairbag.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
"Be useful for a change"??? Do you know me? Have you researched my replies?? Your nothing but a forum keyboard warrior apparently. Do some research and you will see that a lot of posts fo unanswered, that is a fact and your only response is that people are tired of answering the same question because it has been asked before?? No one has combative replies as yours and it shows in your history. Nothing but a forum hairbag.
Nope don't know you,and really could care less who you are,maybe you should research my replies,if you actually want to learn something :waytogo: :Big Laugh: BTW you should learn to read better,i'm not the one who said "people are tired of answering the same question". Like i said,be useful for a change,you still haven't dug up the thread you were referring to.Instead of babbling on about me,get off your asss and help the OP out,and find this thread you're talking about.With that i'm out,as you're boring the hell out of me now,have a good day sir:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nope don't know you,and really could care less who you are,maybe you should research my replies,if you actually want to learn something :waytogo: :Big Laugh: BTW you should learn to read better,i'm not the one who said "people are tired of answering the same question". Like i said,be useful for a change,you still haven't dug up the thread you were referring to.Instead of babbling on about me,get off your asss and help the OP out,and find this thread you're talking about.With that i'm out,as you're boring the hell out of me now,have a good day sir:rolleyes:;)
Hhhmmm, who’s the key board warrior ? Lol

Crawgator59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, you find out what you need? My air suspension went out for the second tine in 10 months. The first was repaired under warranty. The last time wasn’t. I had a shop replace the suspension with 2” Rough Country leveling kit. I have a pair Vertex up front with heavier duty coil springs in back. A lot of people bash RC. When I researched RC, I found a lot of good reviews.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963