Water under back seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Curious if anyone else has had this issue.
I have a 2008 Ram 1500. A few weeks back, I went under my back seat to get a towel I leave under there and noticed it was a little damp. Didn't think much about it. This week, we got a ton of rain, and I went back under the seat and there was almost 1/2 of water standing under the seat. The seats themselves are bone dry, not a drop of water anywhere on them. No water spots anywhere else, other than under the seats. Anybody know what would cause this? I would think if it was the rear window leaking it would get the back of the seat wet, but it doesn't.

michael byers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like your third brake light seal has been compromised. Or your inner drain tubes may be clogged. Do you have a rear slider on your truck?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have a sunroof? If so the rear drain lines that exit the back of the cab between the bed may be plugged. I took a wood shim and tapped on both and a bunch of water pissed out. I would check the front ones too. Open the door they are by the top door hinge.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Nope, no sunroof. I do have a power rear sliding window. What is the best fix for the brake light? Replace the light with a new one, or seal it up with silicone? Almost hate to use a sealant like that in case I ever need to replace bulbs, but I guess I can throw some LEDs in there so I don't have to worry about it.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious if anyone else has had this issue.
I have a 2008 Ram 1500. A few weeks back, I went under my back seat to get a towel I leave under there and noticed it was a little damp. Didn't think much about it. This week, we got a ton of rain, and I went back under the seat and there was almost 1/2 of water standing under the seat. The seats themselves are bone dry, not a drop of water anywhere on them. No water spots anywhere else, other than under the seats. Anybody know what would cause this? I would think if it was the rear window leaking it would get the back of the seat wet, but it doesn't.

bet it is the third brake light common thing for leaks

michael byers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you really dont want to use a sealant on the third brake light. Have someone hose down the truck with you in it and look at the seals around the slider. I have a 06 too and I have had this issue with the slider. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Supposed to rain tonight, so went to the store and bought some automotive weatherseal to replace the cheap foam stuff the factory used. We will see how it turns out. Will test the sliding glass slider too.

Kevin Cooney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 ci Gen II Hemi (5.7)
I have just discovered this issue in recent days. I pulled a blanket out (replace with Rain Gear) and blanket had mold and was very wet. Further inspection found carpet soaked and even damp in sub compartment and storage area. 2016 Rebel. Blamed wife for leaving slide open. After cleanup- Found it damp again. It is spring so rains every other day. Thank you for the drain tube and seal info, will work on it tonight!

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Welp, no luck. I replaced the seal yesterday on the light. Got some heavy rain this morning, back seat has about 1/2 of water standing in it.
Because of where I park, my truck is at a slight slope towards the drivers side. This said, all the rain collects in the driver's side. It appears the water is running down the edge between the back seat and the back glass. Guess I will be spraying down the truck with a hose later to try to find the leak.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Took a look at the sliding glass last night. Appears there is a gap in the seal at the bottom, no doubt in my mind that is where the water is coming in at. Are replacement seals available for these, or is there another fix that still allows for use of the slider?

My next truck will have a solid rear window!!

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Anyone know where to buy seals, or how to fix the leak and keep the rear window operational?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
could also be the window try backing in the spot when it rains and see if it any change put some paper towels down to check if it gets wet good luck

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Okay so after looking for new seals and being unsuccessful, I went and bought black silicone and used it to somewhat seal the gap in between the old weatherstripping. I did this with the window open and let it dry before closing it so I would not loose function of the window. It is supposed to rain really hard today so hopefully it at least slows down the leak.

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Okay so after looking for new seals and being unsuccessful, I went and bought black silicone and used it to somewhat seal the gap in between the old weatherstripping. I did this with the window open and let it dry before closing it so I would not loose function of the window. It is supposed to rain really hard today so hopefully it at least slows down the leak.
02-08 Ram is known for seals around the back window to go bad, not so much in solid rear window models but it can still happen. Sometimes though it's not even the back window, instead it's the seal in the 3rd brake light.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Bumping this back up as I am still having the issue.

Where are the "inner drain tubes" located? I searched and searched, but cannot find them

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Those inner drain hoses would be there if you had a sunroof.
Check the cabin pressure relief vents in the back of the cab. There is a rubber gasket on them and they just clip into place. I think they might bre removable from inside the cab but the snap in from the outside.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
Those inner drain hoses would be there if you had a sunroof.
Check the cabin pressure relief vents in the back of the cab. There is a rubber gasket on them and they just clip into place. I think they might bre removable from inside the cab but the snap in from the outside.
By drain hoses, I meant drain holes in the sliding window track. There is one on each side.
I found a good Youtube video pointing exactly where it is. Had to remove the cable for the window, now just have to blow the holes out with air and hopefully that will solve my issue

Stuffonthewall

truck life
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you find the leak issues? I’m experiencing the same problems. I found that the cabin vents behind the rear seat are causing my mess.

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bumping this up cause I am having the same issue. I tore out the entire interior and am putting new carpet in. I need to find this leak cause I don’t want the new carpet to get wet. Going to try to clear the track drains. Any other suggestions and locations to check? Where are the other drainage point that people said they tapped with a dowel?

bigdodge

Reaction score
If u still have the back seats out and can afford to i suggest leaving them out to try and trace where it's coming in. Back window drains are very hard to see but r probably just as likely as third brake light. I had both plus a roof Seem that was leaking.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk