Weight distribution system required for tiny camper around 2900 LB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have a very easy question... I am looking at some very small campers (travel trailer) and back in the time I had a Dodge Caravan, I used a full weight distribution system with a 2500 LB trailer with a 300 LB tongue weight because of rear suspension sag and bouncing. However now that I have my 2019 RAM 1500, I am wondering what would be the "threshold" minimum weight where I would need weight distribution system? For example my father-in-law towed for several years a 2600 LB trailer with 300 LB tongue with his 2016 Jeep Wrangler without any weight distribution, only a sway control bar and he only have minimal suspension sag and never had any issue.

So I am pretty sure that if I purchase something like a 18-19 feet lightweight camper of 2800-2900 LB trailer with something around 300-350 LB tongue weight, that a weight distribution system would be like overkill for a full size pickup truck?

Thank you!!

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 3500 lb trailer and a 4500 lb boat. Neither one requires a weight distribution hitch.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Needed no. However can it help with stability if you want to run 70mph yes. 4500-5k seems to be the hey you need one number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't recommend going faster than 60 mph. If you are correct on the tongue weight you should be fine without WDH. That said many states do require chains and break away switch. Your truck have a tow package?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. I towed a Wolfpup 16 without and it didn't sag too much and unloaded the front axle only by about 100 lbs. No sway either. Au contraire, using a WDH on such a light trailer (or using way too stiff bars on a 5-6000 lbs trailer) tends to make the whole combination behave somewhat funky because the rear axle unloads easily.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Awesome guys, thank you so much for the clarification! :D

By the way my truck doesn't come the "tow package", however it comes with factory installed CAT4 hitch and I have aftermarket trailer brake controller (Reese TowPower) connected to factory harness. I only miss the towing mirror, however I still have my universal clip-on towing mirror from my Grand Caravan.

I should clarify that I am looking for a very small travel trailer under 20 feet because we love to go camping in very narrow campsite that are mostly intended to pop-up and tents. All these trailers are under 3000 LB (mostly around 2700-2800 LB) and they are intended to be towed by small SUV and minivan. I would surely add a weight distribution system if it has major advantages, but in the other hand these kind of system are very heavy by itself. I remember my Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch where the ball/bars mount itself weight like 50-60 pounds! Not very funny to manipulate... :confused:

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might not need towing mirrors, depending on the trailer. The popular r-pods and such have a fairly narrow body (wheels are sticking out like on a utility trailer). That is done so they can be towed by a smaller SUV etc..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
By the way my truck doesn't come the "tow package", however it comes with factory installed CAT4 hitch and I have aftermarket trailer brake controller (Reese TowPower) connected to factory harness. I only miss the towing mirror, however I still have my universal clip-on towing mirror from my Grand Caravan.

As mentioned above, you shouldn't have any issues towing what your looking for without a WDH. I tow a 24' enclosed car hauler without one when empty, it weighs in a 3K lbs. No issues with sway either, that is usually caused how the trailer is loaded.

You might want to add some blind spot mirrors, they help fill in the blanks even with add tow mirrors. WadeStar RM10 Blind Spot Mirrors for 2009-2018 Ram Trucks with Non-Towing Mirrors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEHTGTX/
If your looking for some good clip on tow mirrors made for the Ram 1500 mirrors: Fit System Black K-Source 80710 Towing Mirror Ram 1500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFV7DI6/
I use these and tow a 28' enclosed trailer with them.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I actually have a pair of Milenco Grand Aero 3 universal towing mirrors that I used a few times when towing my 16 feet travel trailer with my Grand Caravan, they are very nice except that they vibrate/shake a bit like all universal clip-on mirrors. But I had already spotted the K-Sources 80710 as the best direct fit option for my RAM 1500! So I'll probably just sell my Milenco Grand Aero 3 mirrors in the classified and get the K-Sources instead, considering the Milenco worth twice the price of the K-Sources, they should be easy to sell. :waytogo:

y4mpgfzCaG4pLfi2LiSFFeEqtBbSNJzb0uI32NNnqSwE4bAwm8n-VjgtySlIgMnqAnVgUHTmI7kTa0Y2b67iRApGyxp-isj2VvcTdNvvcrDMghnVU52tp2fTjdf9T1OxJn1x4u3wW8i2mifxfsTWxcKEnn4G8OHM1GgO9IW8JaRtgVBX9NOfdRfxOCvPV-ZdSCvX00ki-e9--Idy228OS6XgA

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
You know what I find interesting? For some reason, I just started noticing, that nearly all of the transportation companies that deliver RV's from manufacturer to the store, do not use any kind of WDH or sway bars. In fact many of them are too lazy to adjust their hitch so it goes down the road level. I would think the manufacturer wouldn't let them leave their lot like that. I can usually pick them out even before I see the sign on the side of their truck. They are either going down the road nose high or nose low, & their trucks are usually filthy.

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
Congrats on the new rig!!!

As for needing a wdh, it all depends on your actual loaded total trailer AND loaded tw. And what the receiver hitch is rated for.

I’m guessing those weights you listed are the “brochure” dry weights.

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I haven’t seen or found the weight ratings for the factory installed receiver hitches anywhere. Usually it’s a sticker on the hitch, but I didn’t see it on our ‘18. I’m guessing it’s probably at least 5,000 trailer /500 tw lbs before a wdh is required.

As mentioned, a wdh may help in regards to the steering and front tire traction.

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
You know what I find interesting? For some reason, I just started noticing, that nearly all of the transportation companies that deliver RV's from manufacturer to the store, do not use any kind of WDH or sway bars. In fact many of them are too lazy to adjust their hitch so it goes down the road level. I would think the manufacturer wouldn't let them leave their lot like that. I can usually pick them out even before I see the sign on the side of their truck. They are either going down the road nose high or nose low, & their trucks are usually filthy.

I have noticed that as well.

Though I would imagine both the receiver hitch and the ball mount/ball are rated for the weight.

I know our HD does not require a wdh, even with a max tw rating of 1500lbs for the receiver hitch.

Last edited:

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Awesome guys, thank you so much for the clarification! :D

I should clarify that I am looking for a very small travel trailer under 20 feet because we love to go camping in very narrow campsite that are mostly intended to pop-up and tents. All these trailers are under 3000 LB (mostly around 2700-2800 LB) and they are intended to be towed by small SUV and minivan. I would surely add a weight distribution system if it has major advantages, but in the other hand these kind of system are very heavy by itself. I remember my Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch where the ball/bars mount itself weight like 50-60 pounds! Not very funny to manipulate... :confused:

Funny you mention that. I have a new shank ordered for my blue-ox sway pro that is supposed to be delivered today. I just checked the tracking on it, and the shipping weight says 34 lbs. That is just the shank. Not head, ball, or bars. Guess I'm making sure the "Heavy" is present in heavy duty.

OP
OP
SimmZ

SimmZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Funny you mention that. I have a new shank ordered for my blue-ox sway pro that is supposed to be delivered today. I just checked the tracking on it, and the shipping weight says 34 lbs. That is just the shank. Not head, ball, or bars. Guess I'm making sure the "Heavy" is present in heavy duty.

LOL! Those things are super heavy yes!! I remember when I was putting my Equal-i-zer hitch on my Grand Caravan, the hitch itself with ball and bars were around 60 LB and when I put the WD hitch itself, it creates a good sag on the rear suspension! Of course the sag was corrected when attaching the trailer and then putting tension on the bars.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I know our HD does not require a wdh, even with a max tw rating if 1500lbs for the receiver hitch.
Unless it's a fiver if your putting 1500 lbs on the back of the truck, you should be using one. Actually the receiver specifies that a WDH be use if the tongue weight is over 1000 lbs.
If you haven't seen it, this video shows you what a WDH hitch does and how a 1000 lbs of tongue effects a trucks weight balance.
Just because it's level, doesn't means it's right

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
Unless it's a fiver if your putting 1500 lbs on the back of the truck, you should be using one. Actually the receiver specifies that a WDH be use if the tongue weight is over 1000 lbs.
If you haven't seen it, this video shows you what a WDH hitch does and how a 1000 lbs of tongue effects a trucks weight balance.
Just because it's level, doesn't means it's right

I’m very familiar with a wdh and how they work, plus the benefits of using a wdh vs not using a wdh.

Actually our ‘13 HD does not need a wdh up to the max tw rating of 1500lbs.

Even though it’s not required, I do run a Reese Dual Cam when towing our ‘16 Jayco 32 BHDS which has a loaded tw of ~1400lbs.