weird backing problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chucky6153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok this is gonna sound weird and its got me stumped. New Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. I tow my boat to boat ramp, back down ramp, unload boat, and go fish for awhile. Come back, back trailer down ramp, load boat, go to back into a parking place and the trailer brakes will lock up. I can drive ten mins down road and it will back up just fine. Get home back boat into garage with no problem. This has happened twice now.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For surge activated trailer brakes:
If you have a five flat plug on the trailer then there could be a problem with the reverse lock out solenoid.
If you have a four flat, the brakes need to be a "free backing" type. You probably need to pull the brakes apart an service them.
For as cheap as entire trailer brake set up are from e-trailer.com you might be farther ahead just to order new assemblies (there are left and right assemblies) and rebuild them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The reverse is also in a 7 pin round, it's the center pin. I would suspect the reverse lock out solenoid if the trailer has one, it will be on the outlet of the master cylinder.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Ok this is gonna sound weird and its got me stumped. New Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. I tow my boat to boat ramp, back down ramp, unload boat, and go fish for awhile. Come back, back trailer down ramp, load boat, go to back into a parking place and the trailer brakes will lock up. I can drive ten mins down road and it will back up just fine. Get home back boat into garage with no problem. This has happened twice now.

Hello chucky6153,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Laura
RamCares

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram will tell you to sell your boat instead of addressing the problem probably.