Weird Headlight Problem..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Gang
I've got a 2014 RAM 1500 with projection headlights.
Yesterday I got a dash warning of a "Passenger side indicator light out". (always thought the LED indicator lights were build into the headlight?)
I pulled the front tire off to release the headlight holder, removed the grill and undid the screw holding the headlight in.
Popped the headlight off and turned the headlights on to see what was happening and I have NO high beam OR low Beam on the passenger side?
Now I know they both can't burn out at once?? (drivers side are both working fine?)
Is there a fuse that controls the passenger side lights?
Do you get a "indicator" light warning when your headlights go out?
NEVER had any prior headlight issues ever.....?
Any help would be appreciated.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Jiggle the connector where it plugs into the headlight with lights on.
If it flickers on/off that's where your problem is.
Disconnect & examine both sides, make sure all pins are seated.
There's also a fix by jumping across the connector on the ground wire (black w/blue stripe) that works for some.

marine6212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just use a multimeter to probe the wires and see if your getting 12v to the socket!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You have a connector or wire loose. Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle. If that doesn't find it, start lightly pulling an the wires at different angles where they go into the connector.
Spray WD40 or similar to get any moisture out of the connectors.
I suspect you will find the problem with one of these methods.

OP
OP
Neon

Neon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Gang!
I jiggled everything as well as pushed and pulled at all the connections and nothing came on??
I might just pull the drivers side light as well and plug it in to see if it works on passenger side.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
There is a very unlikely chance you have a broken wire. You need to do a continuity test to find that.
Do you own a multimeter?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The plug that hooks from your wiring harness to the light is most likely bad. I just did mine. Like said above turn you lights on and then try and jiggle the connector. Mine I had to get mean with it to make it make connection. It is a easy 20 minute fix.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi Gang
I've got a 2014 RAM 1500 with projection headlights.
Yesterday I got a dash warning of a "Passenger side indicator light out". (always thought the LED indicator lights were build into the headlight?)
I pulled the front tire off to release the headlight holder, removed the grill and undid the screw holding the headlight in.
Popped the headlight off and turned the headlights on to see what was happening and I have NO high beam OR low Beam on the passenger side?
Now I know they both can't burn out at once?? (drivers side are both working fine?)
Is there a fuse that controls the passenger side lights?
Do you get a "indicator" light warning when your headlights go out?
NEVER had any prior headlight issues ever.....?
Any help would be appreciated.

Like everyone else said, the connector from your truck to the light is most likely bad. I’m not sure what it is but it seems to go bad on ALOT of 4th Gen Ram trucks.

Also, why in the world did you remove your wheel to open the headlight access flap?!?!? Just turn your wheels one direction of the other and there is plenty of room to access that door. No need to pull your wheel, you’re making it 10x harder then it needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My issue was the locking tab got weak and wouldn't allow it to stay connected. I babied it along for a few years and then it broke. Its a cheap part from Napa and it took me all of 20 minutes tops to fix.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My issue was the locking tab got weak and wouldn't allow it to stay connected. I babied it along for a few years and then it broke. Its a cheap part from Napa and it took me all of 20 minutes tops to fix.

You’re talking about the headlight plug? Correct?

My issue with all of the plugs from Napa/Pep Boys, etc is that they are pinned already and have wires coming out of them so you are forced to have butt connectors or solder them, etc. The best and more reliable way to replace it is to order a brand new de-pinned plug from the retrofit source and cut the old plug off, use wire strippers to clean the wire and expose new wire, then pin the wires with the new plugs pins and then put them into the new plug. It will look just like factory with no electrical tape or connectors. I kept using the in store plugs that required connectors and my issue would not go away. It finally stopped when I got a new plug and pinned the wires.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You’re talking about the headlight plug? Correct?

My issue with all of the plugs from Napa/Pep Boys, etc is that they are pinned already and have wires coming out of them so you are forced to have butt connectors or solder them, etc. The best and more reliable way to replace it is to order a brand new de-pinned plug from the retrofit source and cut the old plug off, use wire strippers to clean the wire and expose new wire, then pin the wires with the new plugs pins and then put them into the new plug. It will look just like factory with no electrical tape or connectors. I kept using the in store plugs that required connectors and my issue would not go away. It finally stopped when I got a new plug and pinned the wires.

Yes, I was in a pinch and had to drive the truck first thing the next morning. It was the simplest and quickest fix.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, I was in a pinch and had to drive the truck first thing the next morning. It was the simplest and quickest fix.

Makes sense. Your best bet if you don’t want it to happen again is to order the plug depinned from TRS and install that. The pass. side headlight plug on all the Rams I’ve owned always have issues. Never fails, every single time.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Makes sense. Your best bet if you don’t want it to happen again is to order the plug depinned from TRS and install that. The pass. side headlight plug on all the Rams I’ve owned always have issues. Never fails, every single time.

Funny you say that, that’s the side that went bad lol.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Funny you say that, that’s the side that went bad lol.

I’m telling you, my 06 my 08 and my 12 all had pass. side plugs that had to be replaced... I learned early on that the ones from the store with the wires preinstalled will still cause a bad connection and the only way to truly fix it was to get a new plug and re-pin the plug.

OP
OP
Neon

Neon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, why in the world did you remove your wheel to open the headlight access flap?!?!? Just turn your wheels one direction of the other and there is plenty of room to access that door. No need to pull your wheel, you’re making it 10x harder then it needs to be.

I have a hoist and a cordless electric impact gun. Takes all of 2 min. to remove a wheel and I can stand inside the wheel well and look straight up into the door to release the light holder. I then lower the truck a bit to work on the grill and headlight and before I'm done, I might even check my brakes and front end over before I pop the wheel on. Not hard at all......

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m telling you, my 06 my 08 and my 12 all had pass. side plugs that had to be replaced... I learned early on that the ones from the store with the wires preinstalled will still cause a bad connection and the only way to truly fix it was to get a new plug and re-pin the plug.

This might explain why I can't get my bright on the passenger side to fire up after I replaced my headlights. I was getting fire to the plug. Bulbs are good. Neither LED's or Halogens work on that side.

Jondog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Newbie.. same thing here, I bought my 2012 two months ago and the lights were so dim, now the passenger side is loose I think. What’s the deal with the red tab on the plug? I released it but it’s so tight I had to pop it with a screwdriver