Welding tips on front Body mount bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am about to weld in both of my front body mount brackets in my 1991 dodge ram w150. Do you guys know any tips and tricks to make the job go easier?

Should I be worried that when plug welding the thicker bracket to the thinner inner rocker my welder will blow a hole though the inner rocker?

As a side note, You all ever had alignment issues or your doors won't close after welding?

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
are you mig or tig welding?

I've always found for plug welding different gauge steel, welding 'through' the thinner material on to the thicker material helps limit the blow throughs. clamp as close to the drill hole and lay the weld on the thick metal first and "push" the weld onto the thin metal. definitely weld in bursts.

as for door closing, as long as you have everything measured and limit heat transfer, the metal warping should be limited. when welding frames, usually you'd just weld on some cross struts but for body work, not an option.

good luck

OP
OP
RustyRamFan

RustyRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!

I am mig welding. I like that idea of welding around the circle of the thick stuff and having it push onto the thinner stuff.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks!

I am mig welding. I like that idea of welding around the circle of the thick stuff and having it push onto the thinner stuff.

go slow with mig. lots more lateral heat with mig vs tig. take your time and spot weld with long cooling intervals. almost to the point where getting something welded feels painfully slow.

OP
OP
RustyRamFan

RustyRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!

Welding into the thick and pushing it to the thin really helped on the blow though, and the door closes now!

The door sagged about an eight of an inch after I took the ********, but it works!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Before you weld anything
Disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal at least !!